Xtratime Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My carpenter, who is Polish, who is working on my house is doing a wonderful job, and I would like to give him a "Thank You" gift, I would like to get him a local Polish gift, Like a Polish liquor or something like that. Something that is famous or is a polish speciality but I have no idea what to get, any suggestions?

·
Registered
535 Posts
I guess you could go to Greenpoint (take the G train to the Nassau Ave stop) and ask at one of the Polish Liquor stores (there are many on Manhattan Avenue with Polmost and A&W on Manhattan Ave. and Norman St. being two of the best; there is also a good one on Nassau Ave., just past the intersection with Manhattan Ave., but the name escapes me). Vodka, of course, is what most Polish in the US prefer, but the strange thing is that they do not value Polish vodkas. Having had to give gifts in the past I noticed that many Polish-Americans would rather have a Tanqueray or Bols vodka rather than a Chopin or Belevedere.

Also, I noticed that if a Pole wants to REALLY show his appreciacion, he won't give vodka, but rather quality brandy or Cognac, or a good Scotch. I asked someone about this, and was told that vodka is the "everday" drink, but brandy/Cognac/Scotch is something usually reserved for specal occassions. This actually makes me a tad pissed-off: many a time a client has given me a bottle of good, expensive brandy, whereas I'd rather prefer a bottle of vodka (or a case of beer!).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts