Xtratime Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like it will be a great end to the season with 4 teams fighting it out for the last spot in the top 6. The other 5 finalists are already confirmed and they are:

Perth 54 (Minor Premiers :cool: )
Newcastle 42 (Confirmed second spot)
Olympic 37
Brisbane 36
Melbourne 36

These 3 teams can change places in the final round.

But the real interesting battle begins here. 4 teams are fighting it out for the 6th spot. They are: South Meloburne, Northern Spirit, Parramatta and Marconi. South Melbourne are in the box seat and a draw at home to Marconi will probably do it for them on Friday at home to Marconi.

This is the current standings of the teams and goal difference:

South Melb 33 GD +6
Parramatta 31 GD -1
Nthn Spirit 31 GD -6
Marconi 30 GD -2

Now the controversey starts. Did any of you guys watch On the Ball yesterday? They explained how the South-Marconi game will be played on Firday due to some TV crap. Was it something to do with C7? If so will it be moved back to Sunday?

If South wins on Friday that means that the rest of the weekend is a dead weekend. There is also the Con Boutsianis saga. I have to say that once again SA have showed how poor they are.

That being said, amid all the controversy, I personally believe South Melbourne will stun everyone even more and make the grand final against the Glory at Subiaco Oval

What are your views on the finals? :)

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
I also reckon that Sth Melb can make the final and maybey they can take it away. But in all real perspective I see Perth taking it out, they deserve it...:)

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I forgot to include the goal differences for the top 5 teams, as it could decided 3rd, 4th and 5th.

Perth +29
Newcastle +12
Olympic +10
Brisbane +7
Melbourne +4

And here are the final round fixtures:

Firday 5th

South Melbourne vs Marconi

Sunday 7th

Northern Spirit vs Wollongong
Adelaide City Force vs Sydney United
Parramatta Power vs Melbourne Knights
Olympic Sharks vs Kingz FC
Brisbane Strikers vs Perth Glory

·
Registered
231 Posts
South Melbourne vs Marconi on Friday night. The NSL never cease to amaze.:mad: You're right King, it will be a dead weekend if South's win. What happened to all games being played at the same time.:confused:

·
Registered
14 Posts
KI, I agree with u about a Glory vs Souths final. A bit unfair on the other teams who have improved so much this season, such as Newcastle and Brisbane, but you get that....

Anyway, here is what my crystal ball shows...

Top 6 after Round 26
Glory
Newcastle
Olympic
Knights
Brisbane
South Melbourne

Glory will beat Newcastle and host the GF.
South Melbourne will beat Olympic.
Knights will beat Brisbane.

Souths will then beat the Knights, and beat Newcastle the following week.

Glory will defeat Souths 3-1 in front of 43,000 to win our first championship.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
firstly i'll hand in my tips......i think i've had about 4 rounds where i havent tipped a single result....my tipping is almost as bad as Sydney United's performance this year.

King Italy said:

And here are the final round fixtures:

Firday 5th

South Melbourne vs Marconi...............................1

Sunday 7th

Northern Spirit vs Wollongong.............................1
Adelaide City Force vs Sydney United..................2
Parramatta Power vs Melbourne Knights............X
Olympic Sharks vs Kingz FC.................................1
Brisbane Strikers vs Perth Glory..........................1

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now for my 2c worth on the playoffs.....according to my tips above (which wont come true) i have the top 6 finishing this way...

1- Perth
2- Newcastle
3- Olimpic
4- Brisbane
5- Melb. Knights
6- Sth. Melbourne

Last weeks' match between Sydney United - Newcastle was rigged....the penalty awarded was a complete joke and im sure SA had something to do with it as they would have wanted Newc and not Olimpic to finish second.....that penalty sealed 2nd spot as Olimpic were never going to beat Perth Glory away from home.

Anyway, that is irrelevant. I dearly hope Olimpic Sharks play the Melbourne Knights at some stage in the playoffs...either in the two legged playoff or a one-off at parramatta stadium. Ths match would make up for the entire Sydney United season :D :)

I see Perth comfortably beating Newcastle over two legs and thus hosting the final. Olimpic and Melb. Knights will win their two legged matches against Sth.Melb and Brisbane respectively.

Then my dream will come true....Olimpic v Melb Knights at Parramatta stadium.....Melb,Knights will win both on and off the park :D and head up to Newcastle where they will smash Newcastle.

GRAND FINAL - Perth Glory v Melbourne Knights.

I think the Knights are the only team capable of beating Perth, and i'm sure Perth will be hoping that they dont meet the Knights otherwise it will be another year without the championship. My tip......Knights 2-1 in the Grand Final.

The South Melb - Marconi match is being played on Friday nite so channel 7 can show something on their 1 hour NSL program that is on sundays which i never watch. quite silly really.....all matches should be played at the same time.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The big game on 2nite. Go south all the way baby against Marconi.
As for the saga abt Boutsi, the Kings need to build a bridge and get over it. It was in the paper and it just grills me....the kings are not innocent themselves.
Anyways, Good luck guys!:D

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well what do ya know, an amazing recovery for South Melbourne is capped off with a convincing 3-1 victory against Marconi. A double from Con got them there.

South Melbourne 3 Boutsianis 40, 55, Coveny 83
Marconi 1 Webb 86

All the best to South, my second favourite team ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts