421 - 440 of 455 Posts

·
Registered
13,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #421

·
Sheperdesque
21,256 Posts
I was about to give you props for that Mardi gras pearler but now.... I have nothing...

All I can say as a committed eels fan is 'next year is our year'

·
Registered
5,897 Posts
the same of sort of delusional behaviour from Dragons fans that makes them think that they remain the same club that won 11 straight premierships in the 50's and 60's and not what they really are --> a desperate merger with a non-Sydney club rich in juniors

but a bit of banter between successful clubs is a good thing... it is those that have not witnessed success that we should be considerate of

Bos?
Alch isn't even using lube :D

The talent pool is pointless when you had Pricey at the helm for 3 years doing shit all. Widdop will be big next season, he was coming into his own towards the end of the season.

At least the games biggest peasant, Ennis is leaving you blokes. Can actually make you a bit likeable :D

·
Registered
13,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #426
I was about to give you props for that Mardi gras pearler but now.... I have nothing...

All I can say as a committed eels fan is 'next year is our year'
you went from bottom to almost playing finals in the space of one season... and you really should have made the finals after beating Manly in Round 24

things are looking even further up as well... Hopoate and Norman will be better for the extra year at Parra, you have a very underrated hooker in Peats (who was missed after injuring his knee), and you have Hayne... as long as you get some good go-forward, you will continue to improve and make a mark in the finals

·
Registered
13,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #427
Alch isn't even using lube :D

The talent pool is pointless when you had Pricey at the helm for 3 years doing shit all. Widdop will be big next season, he was coming into his own towards the end of the season.
we'll see what McGregor brings... he will want to put his stamp on the playing group and there is talk that Brett Morris (to the Dogs) and Merrin will be leaving... i think Benji and Widdop can make a very good halves pairing for a couple years... who will play fullback and will Mary continue with Dugan in the centres? you have a good hooker in Rein... i guess it all depends on getting more size and go-forward in the front row

talk that the Dogs and Dragons will swap B. Morris and Kasiano

At least the games biggest peasant, Ennis is leaving you blokes. Can actually make you a bit likeable :D
i think the Dogs did the right thing in recruiting a young hooker in Lichaa who could potentially be the next long term representative hooker

i will miss Ennis though... has given his all for the club

as for being liked, i hope not... it is when we are disliked that we are to be reckoned with ;)

·
Registered
13,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #428 (Edited)
Michael Ennis has fractures in his foot... won't play in the GF

Issac Luke charged for his dangerous tackle on SBW

·
Registered
13,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #430
Ben Barba’s Broncos career in the balance Wayne Bennett to axe him as five-eighth in favour of Anthony Milford

September 28, 2014 12:00AM

BEN Barba’s Broncos career is at the crossroads with incoming coach Wayne Bennett to axe him as five-eighth in favour of star recruit Anthony Milford.

The Sunday Mail can reveal Barba has officially lost his grip on the No.6 jumper as Bennett looks to forge a title-winning union between Milford and halfback Ben Hunt.

Barba charged to the Dally M Medal in 2012 with his magical bursts at fullback, but Bennett views Darius Boyd as his preferred No.1 if he brokers a deal in the coming weeks.

That leaves Barba walking a tightrope at the Broncos. It is understood the Maroons hopeful has been quietly shopped around by the Broncos, but NRL rivals have baulked at picking up the final two years of Barba’s Brisbane deal.

Ben Barba has officially lost his spot as Broncos’ No.6 after a disappointing season. Source: News Corp Australia

Should he remain at the Broncos next season, Barba faces the prospect of a utility role off the bench or, worse, languishing in the Intrust Super Cup.

The impending relegation of Barba is another crushing blow for the 25-year-old, who endured a roller-coaster first season at the Broncos after his move from the Bulldogs.

Milford has largely played fullback in the past two seasons at Canberra, but Bennett made it clear he will wear the No.6 Broncos jumper next season, leaving Barba in limbo.

“I’ve seen what Anthony can do at fullback but that won’t be where he plays right now,” Bennett said.

“The club doesn’t have a five-eighth so we need one of those more than we need a fullback.”

Asked where the Milford-Hunt scrumbase alliance leaves Barba, Bennett said: “That’s all to be determined. Right now I have no firm view until I get to training and see what they do well and don’t do well.

“But the halfback and five-eighth … I am very clear on that.”

If Bennett signs Boyd, as expected, the Broncos will almost certainly have to offload one backline star to accommodate the Maroons ace.

Josh Hoffman has been linked with Canberra and the Warriors and his possible departure could give Barba the opportunity to fight his way into the starting side.

Anthony Milford has already ousted barba before even playing for the Broncos. Source: News Corp Australia

After starting this season at fullback, Barba showed more promise in his nine games at five-eighth and Bennett insists he is not turning his back on the Mackay product.

“Ben is an exciting talent, but he just hasn’t had his best year,” he said.

“I hope we get to work with him and I can get some confidence in him.

“People look for these deep answers but Ben only needs regular footy, some confidence and he can blast off again.’’

Barba said a fortnight ago he was enjoying his move to five-eighth and was determined to develop his game under Bennett.

“There’s been a lot said about my future here, will Wayne want me and that sort of thing, but I have another two years here and I want to finish my career here,” he said.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/ben-barbas-broncos-career-in-the-balance-wayne-bennett-to-axe-him-as-fiveeighth-in-favour-of-anthony-milford/story-fndv2w3r-1227072543846

·
Registered
13,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #431
Canterbury Bulldogs mentor Des Hasler can be considered a modern super coach

CANTERBURY coach Des Hasler sat down with The Daily Telegraph in a northern beaches park on Sunday afternoon and spoke about this week’s massive NRL grand final against favourites South Sydney.

Hasler, who continues to develop into a genuine super coach after qualifying for his fifth grand final in the past eight years, revealed his final words before the Bulldogs run out at ANZ Stadium, where the game will be won, his own individual achievements, what will motivate his team and why Canterbury will be underdogs.

Hasler: It’s what you do mate, you do what you do.

Ritchie: You might be humble Des but you have to concede it’s an amazing achievement.

Hasler: So much goes on, the people that you’re interacting with, the staff that you work with, the players you interact with, a grand final is a hard place to get to. A lot of hard work goes into it.

Ritchie: Others to make five grand finals include Wayne Bennett and Jack Gibson. I know you are awkward talking about yourself but you are in elite company.

Hasler: Not really mate, I think it’s like most things, you don’t want to compare eras. As I said, it’s what you do. It can become a bit of an obsession, particularly when you are involved with other people, you want to do your best for those people.

Ritchie: You are going into the match wounded though aren’t you Des?

Hasler: There are a few players carrying bumps and bruises. They all are at this time of year.

Ritchie: Will Mick Ennis (broken bones in foot) play?

Hasler: Highly unlikely.

Ritchie: Any chance?

Hasler: Unlikely.

Ritchie: Any replacements in mind?

Hasler: Maybe.

Ritchie: Canterbury were written off over the back end of the competition. What did you think of that?

Hasler: It’s been an interesting year on the football calendar. So much happens. I can’t even remember the start of the season. The Origin series seems like years ago. It’s a matter of holding it together. I thought the players were good in the early part. We got that seven (wins) out of seven which was really good for us. Then Origin came around and a lot of unexpected things happened. Seeing both halves (Trent Hodkinson and Josh Reynolds) selected was a great thing for them personally. Origin tends to put a dampener on things and you tend to back off again. Then towards the end of the season we came good again. It’s about riding it (the season) like that. You have to have a little bit of luck go your way here and there. But that doesn’t take away from the hard work the players have done, they have worked really, really hard. They have really stuck to it when they have been written off. And that’s a credit to them.

Ritchie: Des, you say you are underdogs every week but this time you actually are.

Hasler: They were pretty red-hot the other night, the Rabbitohs. They were superb and they played consistently for the full 80 minutes. I think you will see two important forward packs (on Sunday night). That’s where the game will be won and lost. And the way the Souths backs have come up — (Kirisome) Auva’a and Dylan Walker, they have been impressive as well.

Ritchie: If it is to be won and lost up front, can you hold the Souths pack?

Hasler: It just comes down to the day. We’re going to have to.

Ritchie: They have a monster pack Des.

Hasler: They’re a big, fast side.

Ritchie: You have some big boppers, too.

Hasler: We do. And they are all in good form at the moment, well they need to be.

Ritchie: What will be the final words you say to your team before they run out?

Hasler: That they have to really not miss the whole start because before you know it, the game is over.

Ritchie: Grand finals are always incredibly fast — like State of Origin.

Hasler: Definitely.

Ritchie: History shows the Bulldogs are a great and resilient club. Success is always close by.

Hasler: I guess the club has experienced grand final success over the years and decades. The majority of this side experienced a grand final and a grand final defeat two years ago. That’s good motivation.

Ritchie: How can you beat Souths. What can you target?

Hasler: You just have to stay in the arm-wrestle with them. Stay in the grind. We can’t afford back-to-back-to-back errors that both sides were guilty of in the game on Saturday night (Bulldogs v Penrith). Look, two sides are there on the night — we have a 50 per cent chance of winning and a 50 per cent chance of losing. A lot will come down to how it plays out on the night. Finals are always like that.

http://m.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/canterbury-bulldogs-mentor-des-hasler-can-be-considered-a-modern-super-coach/story-fn2mcuj6-1227073269099?from=public_rss&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

·
Registered
13,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #433

·
Registered
13,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #434

·
Registered
13,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #436
Issac Luke suspended and will miss the Grand Final

·
Registered
13,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #438
not really... Souths should be too strong for us and you feel empty after a GF loss

·
Registered
28,215 Posts
We got nothing to lose, I don't expect anything today, unlike 2 years ago where it was a 50/50 and we were the best team all season.

Having said that it's probably typical morning bravado talking here and I will get nervous as the day goes on. Luckily there are plenty of Tulumbe left over from yesterday. :D :proud:

421 - 440 of 455 Posts