Xtratime Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Enough of this Yannick BS - I'm more comfortable giving Quim the starting nod, with Moreira getting another year under his belt; but what's the status of his steroid ban/suspension? Does anyone know?

On another note - looks like Miguel is on his way to Newcastle. I hate to see him leave, but better him than Simao. Further indication that they think Nuno's coming soon.

From maisfutebol.iol.pt:

Benfica - Quim na mira do Benfica

O guarda-redes bracarense Quim poderá mudar de ares brevemente. A SAD do Sp.Braga tem em carteira várias propostas, sendo que o Benfica é um dos interessados na contratação do internacional português.

Apesar de estar suspenso por ter acusado níveis excessivos de nandrolona, Quim continua em alta no mercado. Segundo foi possível apurar, alguns clubes voltaram à carga, e o Benfica engrossa a lista de pretendentes.

O Sp. Braga tem em carteira propostas de «grandes clubes portugueses» e de uma formação alemã, garantiu-nos uma fonte ligada à sociedade arsenalista.

Naturalmente, ninguém confirma ou desmente a existência de conversas exploratórias, mas A BOLA sabe que o Benfica é um dos clubes interessados na aquisição do guarda-redes.

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
It's a balancing act. Losing Miguel will be a blow to our depth chart. He and Carlitos provided solid depth at the wing positions. Drulo is 60 minute player at most, Carlitos will back him up. Profirio sucks. But, my assumption is that LFV is willing to thin our wing position because of Roger's return and his versatility to play there should it become necessary and use the funds to strengthen our glaring weakness of last season at striker.

·
International
5,629 Posts
The Miguel situation is not official yet. I doubt they'll sell him, but you never know. If I'm LFV I'm keeping all the Portuguese young players locked up until after Euro04. Simao, Miguel, Tiago, Ednilson, and Moreira have excellent futures that will be worth twice the money they are currently being valued at.

As far as the Quim situation, as much as I like Quim, he might be to expensive for Benfica. I think Moreira should be given the starting nod this season. He played relatively well last year, and has earned it.

BTW, what's the situation with Marco Caneira. Is he back in Italy?

All I ask for this coming season, is to see together Mantorras, Simao, Miguel, ZZ/Roger, Tiago, Ednilson, at their healthy peak form best.

But the defense needs to be settled. I assume that Cabral is going to play the left, with JMP and Argel in the middle. Ricardo Rocha is the relief.

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
I think we'll see the Ribeiro kid promoted before the beginning of the season.

Tiago and Ednilson are the starters, but who sits if we sign Nuno (Assuming Jesualdo will play Mantorras and Nuno together)? I think the coaching staff is in love with Tiago, but in my opinion I think Ednilson is the better talent. Also, with Aguiar and Andersen gone, who's our third trinco?

Our squad is still thin, which reinforces the Miguel rumors. Funds are needed for depth.

·
International
5,629 Posts
Ribeiro will succeed in some other club and become the future left back of the select team. Benfica and him because of his brother just don't get along. Ashame really.

As far as the other trincos how can you forget Andrade? Plus isn't George Jardel a trinco as well, or is he forward? Either way I know Peixe will make the club and be used in that role.

I forgot about the other acquisition..Cristiano from Beira-Mar. He plays left back. But I still would prefer Cabral and Armando back there.

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
Oh, Geez, I can't believe I forgot Andrade!:rolleyes:

I was under the impression that George is a striker.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah - Armando seemed to have cemented his slot at right back. It all comes down to Caneira, doesn't it? All I've read/heard is that he's gone, yet he still hasn't signed anywhere else has he? Benfica goes to Palermo in a couple of weeks to face Inter (you're right Pila, that's a LOOOONNNG train ride to Sicilia), and you've got to think that match was set up as part of the Caneira discussion (a la Benfica playing in the Barca tournament in August as a result of the Simao deal last year, Fiorentina coming to the Luz for the presentation a couple of years ago after we sold Nuno Gomes, etc.): the question is, was the match set up as part of the loan that sent him here last year or is it part of contract consideration in a deal to bring him here permanently.

As long as we're thinking pie in the sky, let's take a look at what we might have at month's end:

GK: Moreira
D: Armando, JMP, Rocha, Caneira
T: Tiago
M: Roger, ZZ, Simao
F: Nuno Gomes, Mantorras

Bench: Yannick/Quim, Cabral, Ribeiro, Cristiano, Drulovic, Ednilson, Sokota

Two trincos, you bring in Ednilson; two forwards, you drop Ednilson and insert Mantorras. Not bad! I put Caneira in at left back even though his ideal position is in the middle. I just didn't know if Rocha could play the wing or not (he was a central defender for Braga).

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
Razor said:
Yeah - Armando seemed to have cemented his slot at right back. It all comes down to Caneira, doesn't it? All I've read/heard is that he's gone, yet he still hasn't signed anywhere else has he? Benfica goes to Palermo in a couple of weeks to face Inter (you're right Pila, that's a LOOOONNNG train ride to Sicilia), and you've got to think that match was set up as part of the Caneira discussion (a la Benfica playing in the Barca tournament in August as a result of the Simao deal last year, Fiorentina coming to the Luz for the presentation a couple of years ago after we sold Nuno Gomes, etc.): the question is, was the match set up as part of the loan that sent him here last year or is it part of contract consideration in a deal to bring him here permanently.

As long as we're thinking pie in the sky, let's take a look at what we might have at month's end:

GK: Moreira
D: Armando, JMP, Rocha, Caneira
T: Tiago
M: Roger, ZZ, Simao
F: Nuno Gomes, Mantorras

Bench: Yannick/Quim, Cabral, Ribeiro, Cristiano, Drulovic, Ednilson, Sokota

Two trincos, you bring in Ednilson; two forwards, you drop Ednilson and insert Mantorras. Not bad! I put Caneira in at left back even though his ideal position is in the middle. I just didn't know if Rocha could play the wing or not (he was a central defender for Braga).
Don't forget Carlitos, Razor. The dude was a vaulable role player for us last year. His speed was a weapon all year for us.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Carlitos sure impressed me when he played against Emelec at Giants Stadium. :) Na terra dos cegos...

How about we lock down a playmaker. ZZ is great but not dependable. He will have a bust-up with Jesualdo and/or JMP by the third week of the season plus we still don't know if we are getting Roger.

My vote is to get some cheap, hungry and promising players. Let's invade the US national team ranks. I would take Eddie Pope over Argel and Mathis or Wolffe would not be a bad fit up front with Mantorras.

Last year I wanted to pick-up Reyna when available but the stigma of a getting an American player still reigns in Portugal. Maybe the World Cup results will change that up.

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
england66 said:
Carlitos sure impressed me when he played against Emelec at Giants Stadium. :) Na terra dos cegos...

How about we lock down a playmaker. ZZ is great but not dependable. He will have a bust-up with Jesualdo and/or JMP by the third week of the season plus we still don't know if we are getting Roger.

My vote is to get some cheap, hungry and promising players. Let's invade the US national team ranks. I would take Eddie Pope over Argel and Mathis or Wolffe would not be a bad fit up front with Mantorras.

Last year I wanted to pick-up Reyna when available but the stigma of a getting an American player still reigns in Portugal. Maybe the World Cup results will change that up.
That can't be it, didn't we get Aguiar from the "Ca nao a nada" ranks?

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
hey easy on Fernando as he's a friend...i've played with him here in Toronto...

what's the news on him? I haven't seen him in number of years...

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
I forgot about his link to this board - the dude may not be dazzling or nuffin, but he sure knows how to run people over! I mean that as a compliment!:)

·
International
5,629 Posts
Pila said:

That can't be it, didn't we get Aguiar from the "Ca nao a nada" ranks?
"CA Nao A NADA ranks"...I am still pissing over this one! :D :D :D

But 66 is dead on. In fact two years ago, I said Benfica should have picked up Mathis and put him in the JVP role.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No dissing here! We're all fans of RoboTrinco!

I wish him well wherever he ends up!

As for the stock of US players going up - it definitely did; so much so that Benfica might be out of the market price-wise. Ironically, it was Portugal's dismal performance and Nuno Gomes' ZERO playingtime in Korea that might be the trick in getting him back. All it would have taken was a couple of goals and a trip to the second round of the tournament and NG's stock would have been artifically inflated overnight.

One guy who showed nothing for the US was Mathis IMO. Granted, he had injuries coming in, but he didn't really make a name for himself as Reyna, Donovan, etc. did. I'm curious to see if Bayern Munchen backs off their pursuit of him - who knows, Benfica could have a shot yet (I'd certainly like to see him in the red shirt!).

Forca Benfica!

·
International
5,629 Posts
Mathis didn't have the WC I expected him to have. But then again, no one I expected had a great WC. ;)

However he's still imo the deadliest American player. Even in the one goal he scored, and it was a big one against S.Korea, he showed what he's capable of. But he just never managed to get into the rhythm of the games he played for some reason.

ANd I like Aguiar. If the rest of Benfica had half his fighting spirit we'd go far.

btw, "Ca nao a nada ranks" is still making me laugh! :D

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
14,769 Posts
Benfica should go after Eddie Johnson who plays in the MLS . This player is one of the deadliest finishers that is playing ; he scores alot of goals for the U17 national team . I have heard a rumor that Benfica wants Ahn , Korea?

·
Registered
56 Posts
i think your all right about the american players, and there value. but lets start by keeping are young portuguese players , and start repairing are juinor team. simao will be gone by season end, and roger with he's temper will not last a season. and it pains me to say this as much as i love benfica, we are still years away from a champioship! may god be with benfica, and all the suffering fans. god must be brasilian!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts