Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1st round.

Votes: 3 10.3%
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We know which players are going to the WC now, so how far do you think our Nazionale will go?
I personally don't like to make predictions and things like that before the WC because I'm abit supersticious(is that how to spell it?) but I will be disappointed if we can't make it to the semi finals.
I think this is probably the strongest team we've had since WC90, only the midfield is not so brilliant.
I hope we can go all they way though, 20 years is too long after coming so close all those times.

FORZA AZZURRI!

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
31,893 Posts
Winners!

Although I do not totally agree with the seletion, I still believe the team can win it.

Once again----plz do not play extreme-defending, Trap.

·
Defunct
23,341 Posts
superstitious

I think semi final or final. It feels like a final year, I think they have a good chance of going a long way this time. But winners? I'm not so convinced, maybe. Final seems like a safer choice.

·
Missing Guidolin.
21,157 Posts
I voted semi's, I am not happy with the midfield and that seems a major week spot, and I am not certain that Vieri will go because of constant injuries. Delvecchio and Inzaghi shouldn't be going and Di Vaio and Baggio should IMO.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm pretty sure Italy will get to the Quarter finals but their adventure will end there. They'll never get to the final thats for sure.

·
Registered
268 Posts
This is the best team since the 1982 and 1990 one. Even without Roby, I strongly believe Italy will win the whole thing;)

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Winners of course!!!! :D
I'm an optimist sure the midfield is shaky and not what we wanted but we still have what it takes to win it!

We all just have to believe in our team.

BTW, shame on all of you Azzurri fans who said we're not going to win it! :mad:

·
Registered
15 Posts
cannavarro............u need 2 be dismembered for saying that inzaghi shouldnt be going 2 the world cup............stupid del piero fanz................i wish they all die!!

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
chainsawbutcher said:
cannavarro............u need 2 be dismembered for saying that inzaghi shouldnt be going 2 the world cup............stupid del piero fanz................i wish they all die!!
What and idiot......support each other not bash one another you twerp!
Shut your whining and start supporting!
For me I love every players as long as they are from Italy especially if they put on their AZZURRI jersey, I will love them more!!!!!

Inzaghi, Del piero, Totti, Vieri....heck even DiLivio & Delvecchio as long as they don the Italian NT jersey.... I will support them one hundred & ten percent!!!

And there goes the same to you too "Cannavaro77", becos this is not the time to criticize but a time to back the team up!

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
I support any member's right to criticize whomever he wants. I will now 100% support the Azzuri and all the way. But that doesn't mean we can't talk about when someone is playing bad!
I say the Azzuri will make it to at least the semis, if not win it all. Look at some other rosters, even France & England and you'll see we have a superior squad than most, despite the fact that we have an angry/jealous soul for a coach that picked 3-4 wrong players (Ferrara over Iuliano any day this year).
We have a great draw if we finish the first round first. We have a great squad - the best D, a MUCH improved midfield and tremendous strikers and GKs. Ain't no one gonna stop us. Look at France's lineup - Boghassion and Djorkaeff? After Trez and Henry, they drop all the way down to Wiltord. Their defense is aging, too. And Argie will find a way to bug out. They have a real tough draw. Brasil's midfield that was picked by Big Phil looks like a horror movie.
Italy is a great bet at 6 to 1. I fancy our chances very well on neutral turf. We just gotta turn on that Italy good luck blessing and feeling around World Cup time.
:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is one of the best Italian teams ever assembled, yet some of you have little faith.

The Italians have the best defense in the world with some of the best strikers in the world. Yes the mid-field is not as great as some other teams, but it is balanced and steady.This team will win the worldcup and make us even more prouder than we are.

I support Trappatoni 100%. Viva Italia!!!!!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Italia said:
Once again----plz do not play extreme-defending, Trap.
well i think he's already set the tone in choosing that midfield wouldn't you say ?

for the record, i think we will make the finals but i don't think we have enough to beat france or argentina and i'll tell you why. our midfield is pathetic !! there are too many guys like dibiagio and the little ricchione dilivio and not enough creative players like fiore and ambrosini to set the table so to speak for our attackers del piero and totti.

how this ties into your wish is the fact that catenaccio is usually played because your midfield is outrageously impotent at distributing effective balls to skilled players like del piero and totti to score. because of that, defenceman are forced to rely on the longball because passing it to the midfield would just lead into turnovers and such, or quick outlet passes to get the good ol' fashioned counter attack started in transition. regardless, i'm expecting that when we play the bigger teams where we don't particularly matchup well in the midfield like france, argentina, cazzo forse anche il portogallo adesso !!! you're also going to find now that totti will have to come deep into the mid to come up with some balls rather than waiting on una palla brillante da fiore al tre-quarto campo where he is much more effective.

other than the midfield though we're solid. the defence is absolutly beautiful. in the attack we will be missing ATLEAST some veteran leadership (and legendary touch) in one roberto baggio but with the exception of him we pretty much have all the key components to a great attack covered. speed, skill, finesse, brut force, intelligence its all there. its just that bloody midfield. if he actually goes with a zambrotta-doni-zanetti-coco every game and sticks with it then i wouldn't have a problem. but i know that's not the case. i know dibiagio's gonna start and the little queer never missing a chance to rub himself against an opponent dilivio will get his fair share of minutes too. partnered by another offensively inept centremid in zanetti, they're going to literally paralyze our attack from our midfield where an attack is usually created. i hope they shut me up because if we don't win, trap will never hear the end of it !!! there's too many good players not making the trip at the expense of a few of trapattoni's personal favourites like dilivio, dibiagio, inzaghi.

FORZA AZZURRI !!!

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
I'm worried. Italy tend to do better when thay are not favourites. Teams like Ecuador, Croatia and Mexico don't seem like much on paper but lets not forget how well Ecuador did in qualifying against teams like Brazil, Argentina, Chile etc etc. Croatia can surprise (like they did in France) and Mexico are unpredictable.

Trap needs to do a lot of homework on these teams.

I think we have the players, we have a great coach. But at this high level it comes down to 2 other things:

1. Psychology
2. LUCK!

The Italian team in 1990 were the hot favourites as was the case in 1986. 83 we were underdogs, 94 the same and in Euro2000 everyone wrote us off and we almost won it.

I know we can win it. But I like to say to myself that we may not get through the 1st round (for good luck!).

How did we lose the last three times? Penalties (i.e LUCK!)

1990 - Penalties I think.
1994 - Penalties
1998 - Penalties

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
I knew that Trapatoni was always going to do it but I am a little suprised that he classed Totti as a midfielder rather than a striker... it seems like an attacking move to me until I see who else he has taken.

But saying this I think Italy are basically one of two teams who can win it - the other being Argentina. I think the finals but Argentina will be the eventual winners.

I laugh at the pessimism here though... you have the two best keepers in the world (arguarbly) and two of the best central defenders, possible the best strike partnership in Europe with Vieri and Del Piero/Montella and I haven't even mentioned Doni or Totti yet;)

Come on people you don't have to say you'll win it but don't tell me there are 2 people out there who think they will not get past the group stage

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
pool til i die, u have a point.

i like our starting line up as i think that can go all the way. but i a lil worried about if we get injuries.

vieri is injured again, and most likely he might break down during the WC. inzaghi and del vecchio are not great replacements.

Zambrotta hasnt got a great replacement either, di livio is a joke, and panucci is a pure defender.

i believe we can go all the way, provided traps plays to score and not defend.

·
Registered
15 Posts
1stly .........Inzaghi isnt a replacement.....lmao.............he s gonna start most of italy's games............and he s gonna be prefered 2 montella and del piero................if what i say turns out 2 be wrong i ll never post a reply on soccerforums again!,......

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
pool_till_I_die said:

Come on people you don't have to say you'll win it but don't tell me there are 2 people out there who think they will not get past the group stage

Man I bet they were Croatains ;)

Anyway I am expecting at least a semi-final birth. Anything less for this team and it will be considered a failure.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
it depends on the line-up. If Trap concentrates on the attack with Totti - Vieri - DP (or Montella), than we'll get the finals and maybe win.

·
Registered
119 Posts
i vote for winner
but is it too optimistic?:confused:

i think let's hope vieri and totti won't injure
then final is at least

as our midfield.... in the final,
we may aganist some like france or argentina
our midfield lack something ......

but argentina also has their problem i think??
their striker isn't inform NOW, and look at the player recent form
not very impressive

about france, i think they got a better chance than argentina
look at their player who aren't inform?
and with ZZ , vieira.....in their midfield, it's very very strong....
and their striker also ....
the weakest link is that they are quite old and pires is not there

so i think we still have chance
and we ain't look that bad, right? we can challenge france in euro2000 without vieri (although we lose :depress: , but we play a lot better than france :fero: ) ,
so if there isn't any injury we MAY make it

any one can post the line up of euro2000 final for me?
i almost forget the midfield lineup

1 - 20 of 37 Posts