Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you feel about it? Will it be Chelsea or Madrid?

He's obviously a superb player - one of the best in the league. But on the otherhand, he wants out.

IMO he's starting to believe his own hype, I really expected him to stay for life. He hasn't looked happy for a while though, and seems to be angling for a move.

If you get around £30m for him, I think it would be decent business for you.

Liverpool midfielder Steven Gerrard has warned that he could leave if the Anfield club's fortunes don't improve.

Gerrard told the Telegraph: "Time is not on my side. I reckon I have five or six good years left in me and I can't afford to wait around for three or four of them for the upturn in fortunes here. I want to have a big family by the time I retire and I want to show off all my medals to my children.

"I am a Liverpool fan so I know how our supporters feel. They will be hurt if their captain leaves them next summer and I'm aware of that. But I am here to win trophies and if I feel I can't win them here I may have to move on to get them."

He continued: "We know that there is the UEFA Cup to look forward to if we fail tomorrow night, but with due respect to that competition, I have already won that and I want to be playing in the Champions League.

"I am not ready to settle for second best. It would be disastrous for the club and myself if we didn't get through to the knockout stages. That makes this match so vital to us from every aspect."

He added: "The squad certainly needs strengthening. Realistically we are not ready yet to mount a serious challenge for the Champions League but the main thing is that we continue to make progress under our new manager."
Add this to the way he reacted when subbed, and his recent interviews it seems clear that he wants out. Koptalk are already talking about replacements.

I don't think any amount of death-threats will keep him this time. ;)

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
Gerrard has ruled out any move in January.. that's according to the interview in the official site..

Oh and vedz.. I think Gary Neville wouldn't be happy that your displaying his pic all over the forums (your avatar) ;)

Here's the interview from www.liverpoolfc.tv :

STEVIE G ON HIS ANFIELD FUTURE
Paul Eaton 08 December 2004

Steven Gerrard has admitted he may have to quit Liverpool if the Reds don't quickly establish themselves as genuine title challengers.
Gerrard turned down a move to Chelsea in the summer in a bid to help Rafa Benitez turn the Reds around, but he admits he can't wait forever if he is to achieve his ambition of winning a glut of medals during his career.

The Liverpool skipper has ruled out a move from Anfield in January, but he admits he may have to reassess the situation at the end of the season if the club fall short of challenging for the major honours.

"If I am successful at this club I won't have to be looking somewhere else, but if things are not looking good then I will have to think again in the summer," he said.

"I am a winner and I want to win medals. By the time I am 35 I want a big family and to be able to show my children all the medals I won in my career.

"I have supported this club all my life so it will mean a lot more to win those medals with Liverpool and I hope from now until the end of the season the club shows it is as ambitious as I am to win something.

"I will be 25 next summer and will only have five or six years left at the highest level to win things so I hope the turnaround will happen quite sharpish.

"I cannot wait three or four years for the club to turn around and to wait for it to become a title winning side again."

Rafa Benitez is hoping his skipper can be persuaded to stay on at Anfield for many more years, but for now he is only concentrating on tonight's Champions League clash with Olympiacos.

He said: "I have spoken to Steven and I know he is a Liverpool fan and he has the idea of winning trophies with Liverpool. We will see what happens but he will be fighting for the club to the end."

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
http://www.thisisanfield.com/index.php?newsid=archive-12052004-12112004#147

Captain Steven Gerrard has issued an ultimatum to Liverpool, suggesting he will leave the club at the end of the season if there are not enough positive signs that the club is heading in the right direction and winning the Premiership.

Gerrard admits that Benitez is taking the club in the right direction but is eager to win the Premiership sooner rather than later, even if it means doing so not at Anfield.

it seams that he will leave !

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
http://skysports.planetfootball.com...&CPID=8&CLID=14&lid=&title=Gerrard+warns+Reds

MORE AND MORE !!

Steven Gerrard has warned Liverpool that he could leave in the summer if they do not show signs of challenging for The Premiership.

Gerrard committed himself to The Reds at the start of the season despite an offer from big-spending Chelsea, but he wants Liverpool to be title contenders.

Rafa Benitez is trying to mould a new side at Anfield, but club captain Gerrard has warned that he will not have too much time to do so.

The England man wants to see signs of Liverpool becoming real title hopefuls or he will move on in the summer.

"If we're moving forward and I'm successful at this club then I won't need to go anywhere else, but if things aren't looking good I'll have to see what happens in the summer," said Gerrard.

"I'm 25 at the end of the season and I think I've got six or seven years left in me at the top level to win things, so hopefully the turnaround can happen quite sharpish.

"I'm in a difficult situation because I'm a fan myself, I want to win things at this football club, but I haven't got time on my side.

"I can't really wait three or four years for the club to be turned around and to be made into a title-winning side.

"I'm hoping that will happen from now until the end of the season and that, come the summer, we'll be in next year's title race. I'm not giving up now, but look at the table."

·
Registered
12,484 Posts
This is no big deal. We all knew he wanted to leave last season however he was persuaded in to giving Liverpool another chance. The chance that Michael Owen wasn't willing to give them. If Liverpool fail to beat Olympiakos tonight then they will be out of the Champions League, the EPL looks like it will go to Chelsea, should Liverpool fail to impress Gerrard then no doubt he will leave. Should he sign for real Madrid, I will lose all respect for him.

·
Registered
170 Posts
being an lfc fan, i really hope that he signs for chelsea. rafa has said time and again that a good player will win a club a match or two, but a good team will win 5 or 10 or more. there is, or at least should not be, any room for primadonnas in a liverpool side.

i do not have a problem with him wanting to leave in order to win medals, its his prerogative and as a footballer, he's got a different outlook on things than a fan does. what bothers me is that he chooses to gob off to the press on the eve of an amazingly important match, while being our captain. this is simply inexcusable. carra should be wearing the armband effective immediately - enough is enough.

we've not done too badly without him in the side. god knows, everton have improved since they've gotten rid of shrek. if we sell him to chelsea, we'll get top dollar rafa can use to rebuild the side and take us places. with any luck, he'll continue gobbing off while at chelsea, screwing up their team chemistry for a change.

-p

·
Registered
16,663 Posts
rusko said:
being an lfc fan, i really hope that he signs for chelsea. -p
:confused: please elaborate? surely as a Liverpool fan, the last place you would want him to go to is another Premierhsip team

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
you'll be better off without him if he keeps talking like this, the Vieira saga is bad enough for us every year but at least he doesn't gob off to the press and effectively lies through his teeth with his silence, and Gerrard is only 24, what's his bloody rush ?

Benitez could get players designed for his system with the cash, there is many good Spanish talents he could get with £30m in his back pocket.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Gerrard won't leave this summer , i thik he see's a great future with Xabi .

Those 2 are brilliant in midfield , but people who say we don't need hamann are WRONG.
Hamann gives the freedom for gerrard to move forward .

Hamann will be leaving though .

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
SM ONLINE said:
Jealous Cockney Red, ManUre will never have him. Why would he want to take a step-back?
heh, I'm not a Cockney. Salford born and bred and I didn't even mention us going for him. Worried?

A step back. :D ...Like when Kewell said he was joining a "team on the up". Let's face it. There's a top 3 at the minute. You lot are in the second group with Bolton, Villa, Boro, Newcastle and Everton.

Gerrard can obviously see that.

·
Registered
16,663 Posts
Stretford said:
heh, I'm not a Cockney. Salford born and bred and I didn't even mention us going for him. Worried?

A step back. :D ...Like when Kewell said he was joining a "team on the up". Let's face it. There's a top 3 at the minute. You lot are in the second group with Bolton, Villa, Boro, Newcastle and Everton.

Gerrard can obviously see that.
Was I talking to you?

Yes a step back, we are a team with new players and new ideas- we've got a brilliant young manager who is taking the club forward whereas you are a team full of has-bins e.g. Keane, Giggs, Scholes, Neville etc. You are the team on the decline not us, we're on the up.

There's a top2 at the moment not a top3, Chelsea and Arsenal are above everyone. Liverpool are also better then you- like it or lump it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
SM ONLINE said:
Yes a step back, we are a team with new players and new ideas- we've got a brilliant young manager who is taking the club forward whereas you are a team full of has-bins e.g. Keane, Giggs, Scholes, Neville etc. You are the team on the decline not us, we're on the up.

There's a top2 at the moment not a top3, Chelsea and Arsenal are above everyone. Liverpool are also better then you- like it or lump it.
Riiiiiggghhhttt........

And people say Scousers are deluded and living on past glories. Shame on them!

:howler:

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
SM ONLINE said:

That borders on Doc_Rule levels of bitterness and delusion. :D

1 - 20 of 45 Posts