Xtratime Community banner

Novellino defends Recoba

1K views 37 replies 19 participants last post by  The Sig 
#1 ·
Novellino defends Recoba
Monday 6 December, 2004

Sampdoria boss Walter Novellino has fuelled talk that his club will make a bid to sign Alvaro Recoba.

The Uruguayan is struggling to feature at Inter but Novellino, who bossed him at Venezia, is offering him support.

"My only piece of advice for him is to just stay calm and show Inter what he is capable of," stated the tactician.

"He shouldn’t get too down about what is going on. After all, he made the difference for Inter when he came on in the 2-2 draw against Juventus.

"I can simply say that Alvaro Recoba is a great."

The attacker, who enjoyed a six-month loan stint at Venezia in 1999, is believed to be assessing his future.

Sampdoria are keen to sign him given his relationship with Novellino but also Doria’s problems in front on goal.

There are whispers that suggest he could be loaned out but only if Julio Cruz, who is also tipped with an exit, remains at the San Siro.

Recoba was last week associated with a move to Palermo but the Sicilian outfit are not too keen on his wage demands.

See less See more
#2 ·
Sure Faisal, you and your Recoba Fetish, El Chino is another Van Der Meyde, he can be absolutly incredible one day, very good the other, but given 3 starts in a row he will suck big time. If he was that good he would had helped Inter the way Ronaldo did, and he has never done that.

#4 ·
I would like us to trade Recoba to Roma for Ferrari and Mexes, since el chino is so good. What´s with Moratti and signing players with huge abnormal looking teeth btw?

#6 ·
Great! he earns too much, I hope we get a fantasista soon, to be honest I´m getting a bit tired of Martins as well, I want more Class at inter, sure obafemi runs faster than flash and all, but he can´t dribble enough to fill my aesthetic football needs.

#7 ·
I hope he doesn't leave it, Faisal you are almost an Inter fan coz I've noticed you like many Inter players like Adriano, Recoba, etc.

Recoba is a great player, how many times have we seen Inter selling great players and it came back to haunt us.

#8 ·
So we should keep him wasting his career just because we are afraid of him scoring against us? Come on get rid of thise Rabbit, bring in some fresh blood a player who actually has a defined position and that a coach will be able to fit better in a system.

I have nothing personal against Recoba but we have many players like him, dude that are talented, but not consistant enough to be a force to be reckon with. Players that are above the mediocre level, but are not really superstars, and if you see thats why we never get over the hump. Ask yourself if you Roma would trade Totti for Recoba, if Juve would trade Nedved for Recoba, if Milan would give us Kaka for Recoba and we all know there is no way in hell those teams would even consider the trade, unless Faisal was the transfer guru of those teams, if that was the case he would give us his own mother, plus Totti, Cassano and Ferrari, just to have Chino at Roma.

#10 ·
To be honest, I can not remember Recoba starting three games straight. I remember last season, Zaccheroni played him and Adriano together in the Coppa Italia against Juventus and for a short time Chino seemed to be in Zac's starting plans but since Mancini arrived he has beasically been a substitute.

At one stage under Zaccheroni, it really looked like Adi and Chino were building up a good understanding with the latter player providing the assists and contributing goals but that has seemingly changed. In my opinion, if Vieri does not play, Recoba should start and Martins should come off the bench.

YRH, I understand what you are saying about Martins. Aside from his extraordinary pace, his control and dribbling are areas where he really needs to improve. But then again, with his pace, iuf the ball can be put through to him, he will blitz any defender in getting to that ball. But realistically, that is not going to happen in every match as he will find defeneces that will sit in front of him in an attempt to conatin him as opposed to pushing up field and leaving free space for him to run onto goal.

We should not really complain about him though. He came off the bench against Parma and singlehandedly saved our areses, scored against Bremen and provided a cross to help us score against Juventus.

#11 ·
YRH, to be honest, Your demands are unreal.

Martins is one of the best prospects out there and yet you want someone else?!?!

I think you're a person who forgets rather quickly. Martins schooled Maldini, Campbell, Parma, Reggina, Juve, and other big team defenses and you're not satisfied with him :wallbang:

As for Recoba, I seriously will never be able to say he's an average player because he was I honestly share Faisal's opinion that he was never given the chance. Under Cuper, we were meant to play as defensive and boring as it gets. Recoba is not the right person for that. Under Zac, he seemed to have revived, but Zac soon opted for other forwards and didnt give him a fair chance. And now under Mancio, he hasn't even started two games in a row. So as a level headed football fan, I wouldn't want to be judging Recoba because I believe he was never given the right chance, RECENTLY.

#12 ·
Recoba: I’m going nowhere Thursday 9 December, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alvaro Recoba has admitted thinking about leaving Inter but insists he will remain with the club.

"When I was told that I would not play against Messina last week, I did ask myself what I was still doing here," he stated.

"But then Roberto Mancini explained that he had to play with four in midfield, due to the absence of Juan Veron, and I accepted that explanation."

The Uruguayan enigma has been linked with an exit but says he will remain because of the faith that owner Massimo Moratti has in him.

"I’m thankful to him even if I have never paid him back with my performances on the field of play," he added.

"I hope to make up for that in the future and if I’m in this situation then it is also down to me.

"I’m happy that Moratti has made me unavailable for transfer but if Inter want to get rid of me in the future then I will go without any problems.

"I now hope to play against Siena at the weekend, proving to the Coach that he is making a mistake by leaving me out."

Recoba was also asked on whom he would like to avoid in the draw for the last 16 of the Champions’ League.

"Definitely Barcelona because they are the best out there," continued the former Venezia striker.

"It would be nice to face Real Madrid because they are not as strong as they have been in the past."

channel4

#13 ·
Chelsea's Veron wants Inter Milan stay
tribalfootball.com - December 10, 2004

Chelsea midfielder Juan Veron has confirmed he wants to extend his loan with Inter Milan into next season.

The Argentina international has resurrected his career on his return to the Serie A and declared: "My aim has been to play a great season, then we will see what Inter want to do about me.

"I don't know if they will want to go with a young player or if they want to still believe in me. It would appeal a lot to me to remain and in the end Massimo Moratti will decide."

#14 ·
He s probably the most underrated player at Inter.Some fans will miss him when he leave.And his inconsistent ?This is some myth.Maybe he was some years ago but his last season(at times when he wasn't injured) and esspecially this one (when he plays) are really great.

#16 ·
Razman, I can see how Martins is a great prospect, but Sadly I´m the only Inter fan tired of us having the most potential every year, of us having the best squad for next season, I´m sure Mancio is a hell of a prospect as a coach, in all honesty Martins is awsome, but I would like some Aimar, Ronaldinho gaucho type, Am I been selfish? hell yea, I just want a finish product so we stop wondering what will happend the next year, as bad as this may sound the only 2 times we finished second in the last 10 year happend to coincide with Ronaldo playing for us.

When we got Ronnie he was the real deal, Adriano was loaned out and came back a more established player than what we had at first, Vieri was great for us, but he at a top level when we got him.

I can honestly say I dont feel that my demands are unreal, as great as Martin is, if we are able to get someone with mad skill behind the strikers we are going to be fighting for trophies easier.

So the Recoba´s of the world can have all the talent and potential they want, I´m still hoping we are ambitious enough to surprise everyone and go for a real crack.

#17 ·
To be honest, I really feel that I have no grounds to accuse Recoba of being inconsistent. Can you remind when was the last time Recoba started 5 matches in a row? Lately, he has always been benched even when he was in-form and ready to go.

Under Cuper, he was often misused, being used on the wings and given defesive duties. We all know that he is the wrong person for such duties. He then did play more as a forward under Cuper, and he did a brilliant job when at it back in 02/03. He played alongside Vieri, Crespo and Batistuta, and outclassed all of them (except Vieri maybe) and was one of the few MVPs of the team. However, Cuper's ultra defensive tactics again misused Recoba's abilities and was again relegated to the bench. Under Zac it was the same story: He was playing great alongside Adriano but was benched for mysterious reasons. And we all know how its been for him under Mancini.

So until I see him playing consistently again, I will never be convinced that he's an inconsistent player, and will always treat it as a myth.

#18 ·
the man needs more playing time.

He is at times inconsistant but mostly because his playing time is inconsistant as well.

I agree that Martin's dribbling needs a LOT of improvment to say that his only attribute is his speed is unfair to his superb finishing which combine to his runs are extraordinary.

#19 ·
I do have lots of land were to accuse Recoba of Inconsistency, he was having a good season in 02/03 season, but he never outclassed Crespo Nor Vieri, Crespo was our best striker in the CL and had a good run with us for the Scudetto untill he got hurt, then with Vieri was doing good Then Bati came, then the Chievo game occured, and he was doing really bad untill he had some marvelous 30 minutes against Bologna when he saved our asses.

As I said before Recoba has brilliant outings but also he gets in a very bad streak of games, and let´s not talk about the Derbies, he never does anything in those games. There is no plot from Cuper, Zac, and Mancini against Recoba, he is just hard to figure, and one never knows when he will be the best or just suck big time, I do know that he always has good games against Roma.

Again there is not luck thing here If Recoba were a dominant force he would find room in our starting 11 since he is one of Moratti´s favourite players, I saw el Chino saying on TV that he hasnt been able to have an entired season yet at a same level.

#23 ·
Recoba has just been terribly unlucky with his Inter Career!. I believe the past managers havent had enough faith in him. How many strikers has Inter brought in while still having Recoba?.

Batistua, Crespo, Cruz, i mean seriously the list goes on and on!. I think Recoba needs to move on, have a fresh start, but i guess if he moved he would he have to take a pay-cut and i'm sure he wouldnt like that.

#24 ·
I really want him to leave. Both parties will benefit from it as we will be able to get rid of his hefty paycheck + cash, and he will be able to resume his life and career outside of Inter, where he seems to be best friends with the bench. I'm sure he will get a lot of playing time in any other team.

Funny thing is how Recoba has done much more for Venezia in 6 months than he has done for Inter in 8 years. :wallbang:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.