Xtratime Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it's finaly spring here in Belgium. When yesterday I entered the room where I watch TV I was well aware of spring. It reminded me of a beautiful day in May 1998 when I kissed my girlfriend goodbye to hurry home so I could watch the CL-final Juventus-Real. The half-hour before the game I was switching from one channel to the other. On the Dutch televesion there was (as usual) an interview with Cruyff. He told the reporter that he considered Del Piero the best player in the world.

Now 4 years later, a lot has changed. I still have my lovely girlfriend, but Juventus is different. In 1998 we were in the final. The 1998-1999 season was a disaster but we made it until the semifinals of the CL and in the two games against Man U we were for 135 the better team. It was a season without Del Piero, Zidane had been injured a lot, so as Inzaghi, Di Livio. I remember that in the game in Istanbul against Galatasaray, we missed 7 starters. But when something went wrong I didn't panic. I knew Juve would stand there when they had to. I saw this yesterday with ManU. They lost to Depor in the first round, but yesterday they won in La Coruña. ManU stood there, certain of themselves. But with Juve I lost that certainty.

Is this all about the lack of depth (and that resulting in tired players and injured players), or is there more?

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
IT HURTS

Dear All,

It felt nice to know that someone out there felt the pain and madness like I did right now.

I felt like so :depress: and I cry alot.. Screaming the same words..

"What the hell happen to My Juve..!!"

I feel.. like I've got nothing to hold on to...

Where's the glory and pride I felt 4 years ago?
Where's my warrior team?

It kills me,kcII... and it hurts.. so bad...
Insya Allah.. we'll be the greatest team in the world again..

·
Registered
227 Posts
i think everyone has the same feeling.at that time,even sub can beat the other teams and the team played like a team especially the first round vs ajax at the semi final.vieri and amoruso scored as they r sub of boksic and piero.
maybe the reason is that there is no super star or nobody regard himself as.

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
Mikey said:
This current team isn't fit to be compared to the 97/98 team.:mad:
That's why we should expect great changes this summer to make the greatest comeback of past years.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Nyuka said:

That's why we should expect great changes this summer to make the greatest comeback of past years.
Agree. We have to expect a better next season from Juventus.

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
We play in serie A......

I've lived to see Juve go 8 years without Lo scudetto in the post-Platini-->pre-Lippi years.
Propably- we will be looking back on 4 years with performances like : 5th (tied), 2nd, 2nd and 3rd.

All things considered- whenever the supporters are angry- it's because we don't win. Anything but a win, and we're angry.

At least we always know that we will be a pre-season favourite for Lo scudetto, and that it's not looking like changing.
It's not like any team has taken over as Italy's supreme club. In the 4 years since our 1997-1998 win (supposing Inter takes this one)- 4 different teams will have taken Lo scudetto, and we were always there to chase.

Just about a decade back- up to now, starting with 91-92: 2nd, 4th, 2.nd 1.st, 2nd, 1st, 1st, 5th, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd.

We're always there. I just hope next year we can have a clear idea of what formation we will play from the start, and I hoope Moggi/Lippi get's the right players for the formation they choose.
Last year- the priorities were all screwed up.

Ciao.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Juventus will always be fighting for the scudetto, every season, always has always will, that can't be said about the other teams in Serie A.

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
i think we have to remember the past but at the same time realise that what we had from 94 to 98 was great. nut it is 2002 now and we should remember that the team needs time to rebuild and be great again. we won nothing really for almost 10 years and then we won everything in 4 years.

the same will happen again, in the near future, we will have a team that hasnt got teh likes of montero, davids and all teh players who have been at the club for many years, but players like trezeguet, zambrotta, maresca, tudor, brighi, buffon will be the players for our future. and they will win us cups again!!

·
Registered
406 Posts
Well, it all started with the sacking of Lippi in 1999.

Then, the employment of ancelotti, who has destroyed the team, all the way till now.....and now is on the road to destruction for AC Milan.

Then the exodus of class leaders, ball runners and players: Deschamps, Di Livio, Torricelli.

2 and a half years of team destruction by ancelotti, where he corrupted juve by making our players play like sissies or intactically......del piero, tacchinardi, conte....and he also buys in rubbish like zambrotta, bachini, kovacevic, zanchi etc etc......impedes the team so that further buying and selling is difficult.

Also roma's troublemaker, sensi, creates trouble in italian football in recent times. Want to make the Milan clubs and Juventus suffer by using underhanded politics and then his roma can benefit. This then creates a crisis for italian football as not the best club represents Italy in European competition. But the club that has the least trouble.

GOOD NEWS: Lippi re-employed. But he's made to suffer, by having to work with a bunch of players who have no guts and still can be in the national team.....

NOW: Don't sack Lippi. He's ultra important. Let him work for many years in Juve so that the team can be rebuilt. Team rebuilding starts this summer, with the buying of some promising players and selling the nonsense ones.

Juventus will be back next season onwards.

·
Fuoriclasse
13,912 Posts
Just like Glen, the man who's been a Juventino for a bit longer than most of us, said with his usual witty style ( ;) ), it's a cyclic processus. You have ups and downs. One day, you're at the top, the other you're struggling. Just like in real life.

That 1994-1998 period was the golden age, we would find ourselves a hard time trying to challenge this wonderful team we had. We're the most consistent, the most regular team in Italy, truly Serie A experts. We won't be silverless for ever and someday, with work, rigourousness, flair, commitment and time, things will go our way just like they always did.

CC, I can't agree with your views. First and foremost, we were looking pretty bad way before Lippi got fired with an historic 7th position (which hadden happened to Juve in decades). Del piero's injury marks the beginning of the end.

Then, we had parted company with Torricelli before the 1998/1999 season kicked off, Zambrotta has been requested by Lippi (he ain't rubbish btw)

I was one of those who backed Ancelotti last summer and looking back at what he's achieved (regardless of Milan which is another thing, with other problems and frankly I don't give a feck about 'em) for us, he did a great job from my perspective, taking over from the #1 coach of the time, getting the team somewhat higher in the standings, taking DP with silk gloves (and Lippi is become benefiting of Carletto's patient and ungrateful work), exploiting the best (under the circumstances: Italian play-style) of Zidane who was tremendous at the end of last season.

I guess that, as every Juve supporter, we have high standards and we expect everything immediately. ;)

I'm looking forward to the future...

FORZA LA JUVENTUS! :star::strong::happy:

·
Registered
406 Posts
Alright Steph :)

Hope Juve's fortunes will turn around back to its past greatness from next season onwards. And i'm also hoping that a change of manager will not occur, keep Lippi. Its damaging to imagine a new man at the helm of a demanding club that wants to win and still plays good football. Lippi is the man to steer this great club for many years. Maybe to also set the foundations for Vialli many years later? :cool:

Also, it strikes me to feel that Juve may be embarking on a new transfer policy, slightly different from last year's. Last season, they are buying big names and till few weeks ago, big names like Cannavaro, Nesta, Crespo, Veron have repeatedly been linked. But recently, names like van Buyton (whether he's really not good or not, let the Juve directors and coach judge), Hugo Vianni and Jorge Andrade have showed up. Along side names we all know like Cisse and so on. Think this is really a good plan to go for. Buy the promising players and less of the big names. Sometimes its too stuffy to think of buying Cannavaro, Nesta, Veron and company. ;)

·
Fuoriclasse
13,912 Posts
de1_pier0 said:
All what we need to be fit is about 4 more players D'Alessandro, Crespo, Nesta and Viera.
Hmm, only that.
Let's do it... € 25m + € 50m + € 50m + € 40m
And then, we're bankrupt! :D:tongue:

CC, I agree. :) However, have nothing against buying some big names -at least one- this summer too as long as they're useful and that we don't acquire them in swap deals.

Buying young talents should be 50% of our campaign, hopefully. I don't know how much daddy Agnelli is ready to put on the table, less than last summer most probably since we don't sell Zidane's for $ 65m nor Inzaghi's for $ 30m everyday. I think that without selling major players (hope it won't happen), we can expect expenses of about € 70-80m.

Juve has always been kinda conservative and carfeul when it comes to transfers, but all that changed last summer, the transfer policy is now is to bring in stars for huge sums and since such a move has a positive incidence on the stockmarket and that we have secured some founds for the coming years, I'm sure our next transfer campaign will go the same way...

Btw, it's Daniel Van Buyten and Hugo Viana. ;)

Ciao.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts