Xtratime Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think the game against Norway will decide who goes through. That should be the toughest game in the group. I am not saying that game against Spain won't be tough but at least Jugo know how they play.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Yeah, I agree. We dont want to Underestimate Norway, or it could end up like the match with Iran, where we had to wait till the 70th minute to score against such a weak team...

·
Premium Member
27,245 Posts
Lets look at it this way, Norway is 6th or 7th on FIFA's rankings, they beat Brazil in the WC in France, they beat Turkey in Istanbul 2:0 (and the Turks aren't naive, just look at Galatasaray!), they have a very good defense and their style of playing is of the kind that does not suit us at all...

Another fact, we are very often hopeless when it comes to scoring (even creating chances!) against any team that has an even average defense.
Lets ask ourselves this question, when was the last time we scored a goal against a respectable opponent by outpowering and outsmarting them, not relying on their mistakes or just our good luck..
I am not surprised that many think Spain and Norway are the ones that will continue to the quarterfinals, but then again I rely on the fact that our players have disappointed me so often that now it is time for a pleasant surprise... :)

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I remember those games against Germany and Holland in the world cup. For some periods in the game Jugo looked awesome! But like usual, they just could not keep the momentum. However, they really played well against Croatia in Zagreb but they still had to rely on Miha's free kicks to get Jugo's goals. I don't know how far we can get on Miha's free kicks! I really don't know how Jugo is going to do in the EURO. They are just too unpredictable. We could win the tournament or crash out in the first round. Maybe under Boskov things could be different.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The reason we were _hopeless when it came to scoring_ was simply due to poor tactics, by that I mean the defensive ones employed by Santrac (WC'98). Against Holland we couldnt get out of our half until they scored, then suddenly, when we had to score, we played good, and created a few chances in the process - unfortunately this period only lasted 10 minutes, which takes us back to that mentality problem. Although even the last 2 games we had before the WC suggested we would have problems scoring (1-0 against Japan, from a Sinisa FK and 1-1 with Switzerland). But I must admit, red star forever does have a point, and I have noticed that we havent been able to score from open play on many occasions, especially in recent times. We have the players to do it, but maybe the teamwork just isnt there yet? I dont know.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts