Xtratime Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, enough, let's get it started, the inevitable debate we have all been dancing around - is our beloved Roma showing tendencies that are starting to lean toward the big northern clubs and away from its iconoclastic tradition - and if so, is that a good or bad thing?
The debate surfaces now in the form of what appears to be a rift that recently surfaced with Rosella Sensi/Del Neri vs. Baldini. Our director spoke out in the press, sided with Fiorentina's owner in the debate regarding Serie A's future leadership, and the league punished him for his comments. He received little or no support from the owners and coach, and now appears headed out this summer, possibly to Fiorentina (who are struggling to remain in Serie A).
Del Neri has GEA connections, as many know, and Rosella has shown increasing tendencies to try and curry favor with the league, which we all know is operated by Milan and then Juve. The days of her father speaking out are so preciously rare. Meanwhile, the club continues to purge itself of players and wages without any replacements, and the rumors of Cassano going to Juve grow louder.
So the question is - do you think Roma should pursue this new strategy of cooperation and non-confrontation with the north and hope that they treat us fairly in their dealings? Will we ever benefit from that arrangement? Or should we battle on and follow our instincts of speaking out, and struggle on against the perceived powerful beast of corruption, favoritism and big money? Could there ever be a compromise between the two stances?
The answer to these questions are at the heart of the future of AS Roma. It's complicated, probably isn't as black and white as I've laid it out, but the choice is stark nevertheless, and should be treated with the seriousness it deserves.

·
Registered
7,499 Posts
So the question is - do you think Roma should pursue this new strategy of cooperation and non-confrontation with the north and hope that they treat us fairly in their dealings? Will we ever benefit from that arrangement? Or should we battle on and follow our instincts of speaking out, and struggle on against the perceived powerful beast of corruption, favoritism and big money?
I choose the latter without a shadow of doubt. And whatever happens I'll accept it, but I wouldnt be able to stand watching us kissing asses.

·
Registered
242 Posts
We´re Roma and we was born to fight the evil from the north. And pride is more important than trophies. Basta!

I knew Rosella was an idiot but what the f**k has happen to her father???

·
Premium Member
11,360 Posts
I am completely opposed to any sort of agreement with the Juve and Milan mafia. We won't win any trophies anyway if we become the latest servants of Moggi's empire, nobody's going to allow it, so I'd rather have us keep our pride and identity.

·
Registered
7,402 Posts
Good thread, Primo. Couldn't be more topical!

I want Roma to be a bit more modern - from style of play, through some politics of the club to small "problems" like our website. At the same time, I'd hate to move in the direction of the northern clubs in the big matters, such as alliances. It has become a sport of it's own to be different from them, hate them. I'd say it's an institution of it's own in my Romanista life.

I'm highly critical to what Juve, Milan and to some level Inter represent and most of it isn't modern at all, rather an unpleasant reminder of the past. I want to move closer to them in some ways, but those ways aren't unique for the mentioned clubs, rather European top clubs in general.

As you mentioned, it hurts when Baldini tries to revive what we stand for, only to be met by no support from people you thought shared these values. If it was up to me, we'd still be sailing away from especially Juventus. I don't care if it'll result in easier times for the club, because it's sort of like giving up on certain things that are quite essential. A friendship - black or white thinking, but still - between the clubs shouldn't be an option.

I didn't brood that much over Emerson's transfer when it happened, but now as Cassano seems to be somewhat closer to Juventus, I start to wonder. :veiled:

"We shouldn't even talk to Juventus about our players"
I don't remember who said it here - probably il_principe or Cacini - but I completely agree.

·
Registered
12,570 Posts
I think that this is a good topic but I think we are being too black and white on the subject. We, of course, are not managers of Roma and can only rely on what we read. Rossella and Co. are definately not good managers and I just hope that we pay all our debts soon. I want Roma to be more active and not make the same mistakes.

·
Registered
13,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There are some elements of discipline and professionalism that we could model ourselves after, so long as that doesn't violate or interfere with the spirit and politics of what is AS Roma. :cool:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts