Xtratime Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Post anything to do with the FA cup game on sunday here.

I think it should be an easy win, although its away and its an FA cup tie, so anything can happen.

Saha is cup tied, so he wont be playing, but i think some of the reserve team players get called up, maybe even some of the youngsters.

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
It's a massive day out for the Northampton fans and will generate enough money for them to be financially secure for the next 2-3 seasons. There is always the possibility of a cup upset and a real 'giant killing' happening, thats the beauty of the cup but the possibility of that happening is slim and very unlikely.

I expect Northampton to battle hard and play hard but talent and fitness, nine times out of ten, prevails over grit and steel :)

0-2

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
Russell said:
It's a massive day out for the Northampton fans and will generate enough money for them to be financially secure for the next 2-3 seasons. There is always the possibility of a cup upset and a real 'giant killing' happening, thats the beauty of the cup but the possibility of that happening is slim and very unlikely.

I expect Northampton to battle hard and play hard but talent and fitness, nine times out of ten, prevails over grit and steel :)

0-2

COBBLERS :D 2-0 to them :cool:

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
Jern Lizardhous said:
COBBLERS :D 2-0 to them :cool:
Just had a feeling you'd predict sth like this!:rollani::D

An away match played against opposition who are happy that they are playing us and the financial benefits that they'll be getting from this tie.

The players all returned from Dubai on Friday and expect the likes of Forlan,Brown and Bellion to start in this one.Fergie will make sure that the players don't get too cocky and over-confident as that would spell disaster as we saw against Wolves.

Our record in this competition hasn't be at all impressive the past couple of seasons and I am sure United fans would want to see a good cup run this time out.With Rio out for long,this will be good oppurtunity for Brown to get some valuable game time before we start meeting more serious opponents next week onwards.

FA Cup has a history of causing major upsets but I really cannot forsee any disaster happening on Sunday.

·
Third Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
12,813 Posts
Hmmm 3-1 to United. :(

If I still lived near there I'd have gone to this.
so Come on you Cobblers. :)

Shame its not at the old County Ground.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Preview: Northampton v Man Utd

Northampton boss Colin Calderwood faces the toughest task of his managerial career when he finalises his side to face Manchester United at Sixfields.

Paul Trollope (suspension) and Josh Low (bruised foot) are definitely out, while Richard Walker has returned to Blackpool after his loan spell with the Cobblers came to an end.

Calderwood is likely to give Derek Asamoah the opportunity to partner leading scorer Martin Smith up front, while former United Youth Cup winner Ashley Westwood is rated 50-50 to face his old club after making just three appearances in an injury-ravaged campaign.

Rio Ferdinand misses the first game of what could turn out to be a lengthy suspension for United.

His place will go to Wes Brown, while there is the possibility that transfer-listed midfielder Nicky Butt may also make a rare start as Phil Neville is also banned after reaching five bookings.

Sir Alex Ferguson left Roy Keane and Ruud van Nistelrooy on the bench at Aston Villa in the previous round and may be tempted to do so again, even though new recruit Louis Saha is ineligible and Ryan Giggs is doubtful with a back strain.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Reds hungry for Cup success - Neville

GARY Neville claims Manchester United's hunger to land the FA Cup this season is as strong as it has ever been - which is bad news for fourth-round opponents Northampton.

Having spent the build-up on a five-day break in Dubai, some Cobblers fans might have presumed Sir Alex Ferguson's side were looking on Sunday's trip to Sixfields with the same intensity as a pre-season friendly.

Colin Calderwood's Third Division outfit know the possibility of complacency in the visitors' ranks will be one of their few major advantages as they look to cause as big a shock as the world's most famous cup competition has ever seen.

But Neville, who grabbed the last of his three winners' medals after the victory over Newcastle in the 1999 Treble year, has dismissed any suggestion that the Red Devils are indifferent to the tournament.

While admitting there have been times in past seasons when the competition has not received the attention it deserved, having found themselves pitted against lower league opposition for the first time since then second division Wrexham visited Old Trafford in 1995, the England full-back is adamant United are not about to spurn the chance of reaching another final.

"Perhaps we haven't concentrated as well in FA Cup games as we have in the Champions League or the Premiership," said the 28-year-old.

Piority

"Those two tournaments remain our priority but it would be great to get to another final and have a really big day out.

"The FA Cup is a special competition. It has been the backdrop to some of my greatest experiences as a Manchester United player. It is a special competition and no-one can belittle it as far as I am concerned.

"The atmospheres are usually different, just because of the number of away fans

"But since we won it in 1999, we have had some really difficult draws and stumbled in the fourth or fifth round."

Just over 1,200 United fans will be shoe-horned into Northampton's Sixfields Stadium, which they moved to in 1994 from their old County Ground home, the site of George Best's famous six-goal haul in the Old Trafford outfit's 8-2 success at the same stage of the competition 34 years ago.

Echoes

Already there are echoes of United's run to the final in 1990, when they also disposed of Midlands opposition at the first stage - Nottingham Forest as opposed to Aston Villa this season - before travelling to a lower-ranked side in the last 32.

On that occasion Hereford were swept aside as Ferguson went on to lift the first silverware of his trophy-ladened 17 years at the club.

Having left Roy Keane and Ruud van Nistelrooy on the bench for an hour at Villa, there is every likelihood the United boss will opt to do the same again, even though new arrival Louis Saha - who is expected to be unveiled tomorrow - is cup-tied.

That move would offer under-pressure Diego Forlan a chance to produce a positive response to Saha's arrival.

Rio Ferdinand has started the eight-month ban he appealed against on Monday so Wes Brown will partner Mikael Silvestre in central defence.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wolves shock is a cup warning

UNITED'S shock Premiership setback at Wolves is a timely wake-up call for the Reds as they face up to a classic FA Cup banana skin tie at Northampton tomorrow (Sunday).

Sir Alex Ferguson has never suffered giant-killing humiliation in the FA Cup in 17 years as Old Trafford manager.

His homegrown stars don't have the scars from such an embarrassment and his foreign imports may not fully grasp the potential for major upsets in England's famous cup tournament.

But the 1-0 Molineux defeat last weekend will have focused the chastened Reds before the game at Sixfields against the Third Division side.

Ferguson said: "I think you saw in last week's game what football is like. If you don't take your advantage when it is there, then you can lose a goal in a second.

"Tomorrow you have a game where shock is written all over it. The headlines are made and Northampton are in a great position because of that.

"But we have to focus on the fact that mistakes can be punished and we just have to make sure we eradicate that part.

"They will be committed, enthusiastic, and will get stuck in. Depending on the referee he can allow things to go on and it can make it a real cup-tie and a meaty game.

"We have to understand, and I think the players do, that cup ties can be that way. Therefore our commitment has to be good and we have to get stuck in ourselves.

"We have to accept tackles and tackle back. It is different from a league game sometimes.

"The defeat at Wolves eliminates the 'I can't believe this' situation. We know now things like this can happen.

"You are sitting in the dressing room last week and you are thinking `how did they beat us?' Football is like that. It was obviously Wolves' day and we have to make sure it isn't Northampton's."

Nicky Butt, meanwhile, is set to get the opportunity for a United farewell or a platform for an Old Trafford career revival tomorrow.

The 29-year-old is believed to be softening in his stance following his request to leave the Reds a fortnight ago.

The England midfielder has been interesting former colleague Steve Bruce at Birmingham City, but has yet to be given permission to speak with the St Andrews outfit.

However, his immediate frustration and anger at his lack of United first-team activity could now be easing and he may not depart during the transfer window, if at all.

Butt is travelling with United to Northampton and could replace Phil Neville in the heart of United's engine room.

Neville's success in the anchorman role has been the root of Butt's lack of opportunity, but Phil is suspended for the cup tie having picked up five yellow cards this seasons to spark an automatic one-match ban.

Ryan Giggs is still a doubt for the match having come off against Newcastle two weeks ago with back trouble.

Gary Neville was injured in the same match and was substituted having picked up a thigh injury, but his chances of making tomorrow's game are better than Giggs's.

Wes Brown is pencilled in for Rio Ferdinand's central defensive role alongside Mikael Silvestre as the England international is into the second match of his eight-month ban despite his ongoing appeal.

·
RIP Alton Ellis
5,658 Posts
I'm only visiting this forum because this match is a re-run of one played in the early seventies. It featured George Best at his very best. The match finished up 2-8. Pure genius is the expression that comes to mind, one of the greatest performances ever seen on a football field and unfortunately before the days of the video. Not only George's goals (was it 6?) but his performance throughout.
Would love to see it all again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Northampton 0-3 Man U

The cobblers were very unlucky not to at least score in this game. They played very well and deserve some recognition.

What seems to have come out of this game mostly is that the likes of Bellion and Forlan just simply don't seem good enough back up to Ruud and Man U are going to expect a lot off Saha due to this fact.

Well played Northampton. :)

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Ronaldo was absoloutley bloody brilliant today. His dribbling and use of the ball was superb, he's got skills that we haven't seen at Old Trafford in a long time. But we can't read to much into it against such lowly opposition. That said, his crossing was amazing today, he set up more chances for us than anyone I can remember in the past few years. His crosses gave Bellion/Forlan 5 absoloute sitters!

Which brings me to those two....They were absoloute and utter crap today. Especially Diego. I've defended him for a while, but I've had enough. He's just not good enough to play for us. And I doubt he'll ever be good enough to play at the highest level.

·
63,337 Posts
Roger said:
I'm only visiting this forum because this match is a re-run of one played in the early seventies. It featured George Best at his very best. The match finished up 2-8. Pure genius is the expression that comes to mind, one of the greatest performances ever seen on a football field and unfortunately before the days of the video. Not only George's goals (was it 6?) but his performance throughout.
Would love to see it all again.
I take it you haven't got Sky,Roger ?

they have been showing George all weekend,great goals especially the last one where he sits the keeper on his arse with just a drop of the shoulder and walks the ball in. :D

they also interviewed George and the Cobblers keeper,the keeper asked Best after he got his sixth,"haven't you had enough George"? George felt sorry for him and went to play at left back for the rest of the game and didn't even go over the halfway line.:D

·
63,337 Posts
SuicideDD said:
Ronaldo was absoloutley bloody brilliant today. His dribbling and use of the ball was superb, he's got skills that we haven't seen at Old Trafford in a long time. But we can't read to much into it against such lowly opposition. That said, his crossing was amazing today, he set up more chances for us than anyone I can remember in the past few years. His crosses gave Bellion/Forlan 5 absoloute sitters!

Which brings me to those two....They were absoloute and utter crap today. Especially Diego. I've defended him for a while, but I've had enough. He's just not good enough to play for us. And I doubt he'll ever be good enough to play at the highest level.
I disagree about Ronaldo,he put in some crosses but on the ball he was poor again,he ran into defenders about five times,he seems to concentrate more on what his legs are doing than what the balls doing.

agreed about Forlan,absolute abortion of a footballer,everything he does is universally,fundamentally and uniformly utter shite ;)

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
A game where we did away with the bare minimum.The side made up of mostly new arrivals and bench warmers did the job efficiently though not necessarily clinically.

Ronaldo was a thorn all day long while Bellion's pace was also troubling the third division side.However it was Butt's performance that caught my eye as his passing was precise and at times very innovative.Not what we have come to expect from Phizza so maybe Fergie could do some serious rethinking about letting Nicky leave.

The Cobbler's played very well without threatening much and though they hit the bar twice,United were never really threatened.If it wasnt for the poor finishing of Forlan and some miscommunication in the final third of the pitch,the scoreline would have been even more flattering.

Progress to the 5th round sucessful now bring on Soton and the PremierLeague!

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Forza Nicky

1 - 15 of 15 Posts