Xtratime Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now we know which Nordic clubs are taking part in this year's UCL qualification campaign :

Brøndby (Denmark)

Tampere United (Finland)

Hammarby (Sweden)

Rosenborg (Norway)

Good luck to all the teams. Hopefully at least two of them will make it to the league itself.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: UCL

unitedfan said:
:eek: :eek: :eek: You have forgotten to list IA Akranes (Iceland) and B36 Thorshavn (Faroe Islands)
Do they play UCL qualifiers? I don't think Iceland or the Faroe Islands have stadiums which are big enough to host UCL matches.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Re: Re: UCL

lionheart said:

Do they play UCL qualifiers? I don't think Iceland or the Faroe Islands have stadiums which are big enough to host UCL matches.
Yes they do :cool:. The only teams to my knowledge that don't play in the UCL qualifiers are San Marino, Liechtenstein and Andorra.

Actually the Icelandic champ usually makes it to the 2nd qualifying round. In fact KR Reykjavik (sp?) played none other than Broendby in 2000/2001 with the scores 3-1 and 0-0, and hence Brondby going thru 3-1on aggregate.

If you want to see whether your team will be seeded or not in each round, check out this link. From what i can tell only Rosenborg will be seeded in round three and Brondby & Lillestroem in round 2. Tampere naturally will be seeded in round 1

·
Registered
21,429 Posts
Re: Re: UCL

lionheart said:

Indeed they do, B36 had the honour of getting trashed by Beitar Jerusalem a few years back in the CL qualifiers (The second leg match at the Faroe Islands was quite unusual as the whole pitch was covered with heavy fog and nobody even had an idea who scored the winning goal for minutes :D )

·
Registered
775 Posts
This is a picture where B36 plays its league games - Gundadalur

http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/europe/faroe_islands/torshavn_gundadalur.shtml

This is where B36 plays its European cup games.

http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/europe/faroe_islands/torshavn_torsvollur.shtml

The stadium above was built in 2000. Before Torsvollur, all European cup games had to be played at the other national stadium in Toftif.

http://faroesefootball.tripod.com/farsco2.jpg

The two above stadiums have the only grass fields in the Faroe Islands that are in use. However, one field on the Southern most island of Suruoy <sp> hosted a European cup match a few years ago. I think the field is in Hvlaba and VB Vagur hosted the match against Body Brno (Czech) in the 1998 Inter-Toto.... I think ;) According to my friend on the island, he was very surprised a European match was played on the field in Hvlaba. Suruoy is a two hour ferry ride from Torshavn and the other main islands.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Re: Re: Re: UCL

Raanan said:

Indeed they do, B36 had the honour of getting trashed by Beitar Jerusalem a few years back in the CL qualifiers (The second leg match at the Faroe Islands was quite unusual as the whole pitch was covered with heavy fog and nobody even had an idea who scored the winning goal for minutes :D )
Hmmmm, I guess losing 5-1 on aggregate does qualify as getting trashed. B36 actually managed to score an away goal, which is a rare thing for Faroese clubs in Europe.

However, a club from Maccabi Haifa actually lost one game to a Faroese club in the 1995/96 Cup Winners Cup. Maccabi Haifa won the first match at home 4-0, but lost the second match 3-2 away to KI Klaksvik. :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Stadiums

I think maybe the rules on grounds are not as strict for the Intertoto as for the main competitions. I seem to remember a Welsh team played on a very basic ground that would not have been allowed to stage matches in say the CL.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Lillestrøm got the second Norwegian spot in the champions league, seems like you forgot them.

They'll enter in the second qualifying round, while Rosenborg is seeded in the third, and will most likely reach the Champions League like usual. Can't remember if LSK is seeded in the second round, but they probably are.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts