Xtratime Community banner
4421 - 4440 of 4472 Posts

·
Registered
66,328 Posts
Ok time for a thread bump..

TONALI: ‘SCUDETTO IS MILAN’S ONLY OBJECTIVE’
Sandro Tonali

Sandro Tonali admits Milan’s ‘only objective this season is the Scudetto’ after a 3-2 victory away to Atalanta consolidated their best start since 2003-04.

The Rossoneri dominated in Bergamo for much of the game, having taken the lead 28 seconds in through Davide Calabria, then gone 3-0 up through Tonali and Rafael Leao.
Atalanta made a late comeback with a Duvan Zapata penalty for Junior Messias handball and Mario Pasalic tap-in, but 3-2 did not fully reflect the overall performances of the two teams.

“Maybe after the second goal we felt a little anxious, but there was so little time left after that, so the fear didn’t last long,” Tonali told DAZN.

“We started strong after using up a lot of energy in the Champions League midweek. Perhaps we didn’t expect to have this much energy, but we gave our all and we’re happy with the performance.”

Tonali was jeered by the Atalanta supporters also because of his history with their ultimate rivals Brescia.

“It was a goal against a big club and it has a special meaning for me, so I will always remember it. If you come to Bergamo and are 3-0 up, that means you’re a top team. We’re happy.”

The last time Milan achieved 19 points in the opening seven rounds was when they won the Scudetto in 2003-04.

“I was too young, I don’t remember that. Milan’s only objective this season is the Scudetto.”

·
Registered
66,328 Posts
They are very confident and hungry on the red side of the city after last season which was their best in years and carrying that into this season with strong desire to do better..

CALABRIA: ‘NOBODY BETTER THAN MILAN IN ITALY’
Davide Calabria

Davide Calabria is confident ‘there are no better teams than Milan in Italy’ after their 3-2 victory away to Atalanta, as they are clearly targeting the Scudetto.
The Rossoneri have 19 points after seven rounds, their best start since the title-winning 2003-04 campaign, only two points behind leaders Napoli.

“There are many strong sides in Italy, but in my view, there are no better teams than Milan in Italy,” Calabria told DAZN.

He opened the scoring in Bergamo after just 28 seconds, followed by Sandro Tonali and Rafael Leao strikes.

Atalanta made a late comeback with a Duvan Zapata penalty and Mario Pasalic tap-in.

“We have to focus on ourselves and continue to believe we are the best. There are games and moments that change throughout the season, but we’ve got to keep riding the positive wave while we’re here. Then we’ll see what happens.”

Coach Stefano Pioli has transformed the side that lost 5-0 to Atalanta in December 2019.

“He gives us faith, he has a clear idea of football that allows all of us to give our best. Intensity is the most important characteristic, as we can keep up the tempo for the whole match and that high press is really bringing results,” added Calabria.

He has been called up to the Italy squad to replace Atalanta defender Rafael Toloi, who pulled out through injury.
Italy will play Spain in the Nations League semi-final on October 6.

·
Registered
9,370 Posts
Love both their attitude, loser will call it cocky and self confidence sounds like arrogance to them ;)
A lion doesn't lose sleep over the opinion of sheep.

The young lads are hungry indeed but that doesn't take away that Inter is the favourite to retain it.

·
Registered
47,701 Posts
We were favourites by default on day 1, but things have changed since then. Currently, Milan and Napoli are showing their credentials, both in the table and in performances.

I watched the 1st half of Atalanta vs Milan yesterday...Milan is super lethal. Maignan's performances show that Donna isn't missed at all. For me, Kessié and Tomori are utterly world class. Tonali is really starting to establish himself too (class goal, super block at the other end)...showing why everyone wanted his signature. Leao has been hit or miss but every time I saw him get the ball and stretch his legs yesterday, he was super dangerous and pretty untouchable. This set-up now can and should be carried into the CL where even the biggest sides can be punished. Kessié dropping deeper and functioning essentially as a regista/DM is something that comes easy to him...neutralised Atalanta through the middle and gave them a ton of problems when launching attacks.

I watched the 2nd half of Fio vs Nap. The game started to drag after Napoli scored the 2nd goal but Koulibaly was an Iron Wall and Politano is just someone who can't be dealt with properly when he takes off. Came close to scoring a banger with one of his trademark cut-ins. There are obvious places for improvement - @camelface will point to Fabian Ruiz - but it wasn't a full strength squad. Insigne, for me, killed Napoli's momentum whenever he got the ball.

Reactions: camelface

·
Registered
66,328 Posts
Love both their attitude, loser will call it cocky and self confidence sounds like arrogance to them ;)
A lion doesn't lose sleep over the opinion of sheep.

The young lads are hungry indeed but that doesn't take away that Inter is the favourite to retain it.
So you praise them for being confident and yet you indicate that you personally aren't confident (by saying that Inter who lost Conte, Hakimi, Eriksen and Lukaku are favourites...)

so if anything you are calling yourself a loser - unlike your confident players - because you don't share their clear confidence. ;)

·
Registered
66,328 Posts
We were favourites by default on day 1, but things have changed since then. Currently, Milan and Napoli are showing their credentials, both in the table and in performances.

I watched the 1st half of Atalanta vs Milan yesterday...Milan is super lethal. Maignan's performances show that Donna isn't missed at all. For me, Kessié and Tomori are utterly world class. Tonali is really starting to establish himself too (class goal, super block at the other end)...showing why everyone wanted his signature. Leao has been hit or miss but every time I saw him get the ball and stretch his legs yesterday, he was super dangerous and pretty untouchable. This set-up now can and should be carried into the CL where even the biggest sides can be punished. Kessié dropping deeper and functioning essentially as a regista/DM is something that comes easy to him...neutralised Atalanta through the middle and gave them a ton of problems when launching attacks.

I watched the 2nd half of Fio vs Nap. The game started to drag after Napoli scored the 2nd goal but Koulibaly was an Iron Wall and Politano is just someone who can't be dealt with properly when he takes off. Came close to scoring a banger with one of his trademark cut-ins. There are obvious places for improvement - @camelface will point to Fabian Ruiz - but it wasn't a full strength squad. Insigne, for me, killed Napoli's momentum whenever he got the ball.
I watched nothing yesterday :(

Advice: never get married. Save money and spend it on eating, donating to charity and buying your club merchandise. And a yearly visit to watch your team play.

·
Registered
18,344 Posts

Anguissa is a huge upgrade, but they have a bunch of shaky players still who aren't stone cold killers: insigne, fabian, the defense, shaky goalkeeping.

I place Milan and Inter as top 2 favourites. Juventus are also better than Napoli, but we will see if they have the depth to recover the standings.

·
Registered
66,328 Posts
AMBROSINI: ‘PIOLI’S MILAN ARE READY TO WIN THE SCUDETTO’
Massimo Ambrosini

Former Milan midfielder Massimo Ambrosini has praised the work of coach Stefano Pioli and said the Rossoneri are now ‘ready to win the championship’.

The Diavolo are second in Serie A after seven games and secured a big 3-2 win over Atalanta ahead of the current international break.

Milan are unbeaten in the League, winning all bar one, against Juventus on September 19.

Ambrosini won the Champions League twice and picked up four Scudetti during his career with the Rossoneri and believes Pioli’s team are now ready.

“Pioli’s Milan are absolutely ready to win the championship,” Ambrosini told La Gazzetta dello Sport. “They have two strengths, the awareness of their own means and the variety of solutions.
“Technique and tactics, the coach can propose something new in every match. The Diavolo is more complete than the others.”

·
Registered
66,328 Posts
IBRAHIMOVIC: ‘WHO WILL WIN THE SCUDETTO? WHERE DOES ZLATAN PLAY?’
epa09464120 AC Milan's forward Zlatan Ibrahimovic celebrates after scoring his team's second goal during the Italian Serie A soccer match AC Milan vs SS Lazio at the Giuseppe Meazza Stadium in Milan, Italy, 12 September 2021. EPA-EFE/ROBERTO BREGANI

Zlatan Ibrahimovic was asked who will win the Scudetto in 2021-22. ‘What team does Zlatan play in, at Milan? Then Milan…’

The striker has turned 40 and was interviewed by the TV show ‘Le Iene’ and the Sweden international spoke about his return to the pitch.

“At 40, I feel young,” Ibrahimovic told Le Iene. “Another year has passed and I’m just waiting to get back on the pitch.
“I only have small problems, which are being solved.”

And Ibrahimovic has not lost his confidence, as he showed when he replied to questions about the Scudetto battle.

“Who will win it? What team does Zlatan play in, at Milan? Then Milan…”

Ibrahimovic returned for his second stint with the Rossoneri in January 2020 and has helped lift the club back to the top of Italian football.

The striker bagged 10 goals in his first 18 Serie A games the second half of 2019-20, before scoring 15 goals in 19 games in the following season.

Zlatan has made an impact on and off the pitch since returning and despite an injury plagued 2020-21, he signed a new one-year deal with the club that finished second in Serie A last term.

·
Registered
66,328 Posts
So just to recap, within 48 hours

Tonali: Scudetto only objective
Calabria: nobody better than Milan in Italy
Ambrosini: Milan ready to win the Scudetto
Zlatan: Zlatan/Milan will win the Scudetto

·
Registered
18,952 Posts

Advice: never get married. Save money and spend it on eating, donating to charity and buying your club merchandise. And a yearly visit to watch your team play.
I may need this advice soon. Already missed a ton of games this season....

• Wow
Reactions: Firdaus

·
Registered
48,288 Posts

Too late. That said, I had already entered, well before marriage, a phase of my life in which if football clubs had to wait for my money they could wait pretty much forever. I haven't bought club merchandise for ages, I haven't paid for watching football for ages, the last times I entered the stadium I had free tickets. I have no Sky, no DAZN, watch games in betting points were I hardly bet (and often win) or in pubs. Yeah, probably they get some money from the latter, but we talk about very little, everything considered (I eat anyway and pay what I would pay in a place without football games).

·
Registered
18,952 Posts
The common problem Milan and Napoli both have is a coach that chokes in the 2nd half of the season. I don't see why that won't happen again, especially with Napoli. Spaletti usually goes full-nutcase around January/February and his teams simultaneously implode. It happened twice with Inter and God knows how many times with Roma.

Milan still don't have the squad depth or a coach who brings calm when the going gets rough. It's just not there.

Juve on the other hand have a far deeper squad and a coach with, what, 6 Scudetti to his name?

I think if the stars align Milan can win it, but not Napoli. Juve can certainly still win it.

I don't fancy Inter's chances simply because the defense is so leaky, the mezzali are no longer giving as much solidity in defense as under Conte, and Inzaghi is not in the same class (yet) as Allegri.

Add to that the signs that Correa might yet flop badly, and Hakan most likely will. I hope both prove me totally wrong, of course. I think Dunfries and Dimarco can come good but it will all take time - the same time that will allow Juve to regroup and make up points.

·
Registered
18,344 Posts
The common problem Milan and Napoli both have is a coach that chokes in the 2nd half of the season. I don't see why that won't happen again, especially with Napoli. Spaletti usually goes full-nutcase around January/February and his teams simultaneously implode. It happened twice with Inter and God knows how many times with Roma.

Milan still don't have the squad depth or a coach who brings calm when the going gets rough. It's just not there.

Juve on the other hand have a far deeper squad and a coach with, what, 6 Scudetti to his name?

I think if the stars align Milan can win it, but not Napoli. Juve can certainly still win it.

I don't fancy Inter's chances simply because the defense is so leaky, the mezzali are no longer giving as much solidity in defense as under Conte, and Inzaghi is not in the same class (yet) as Allegri.

Add to that the signs that Correa might yet flop badly, and Hakan most likely will. I hope both prove me totally wrong, of course. I think Dunfries and Dimarco can come good but it will all take time - the same time that will allow Juve to regroup and make up points.
I agree with you though I also think those coaches you mention rarely had supreme championship teams. Napoli for example will fail because of their lack of squad depth and because their midfield is still too weak (both depth and first team problems). Spaletti will make things worse when he acts like Hamlet by February but still.

Milan's Pioli inspires more confidence for me. Their issue is more depth than first team quality. A bunch of their players, like Napoli, will go to the African Cup of Nations. They have some positions with no depth at all, including forward, but their defence and midfield is much more solid than Napoli's.

The top three teams are definitely Inter, Milan, Juventus for me. For the latter, the main question is whether they can produce goals regularly. For you, that is less of an issue especially with Dzeko who looks to be a Serie A killer this season.

·
Registered
66,328 Posts

In Spalletti's first season we started well and were even top in December then dropped to 4th but in his second season I don't remember a strong start or being on top at any stage, tbh.

Anyhow when Napoli beat Torino after the break it will be 8/8, with a start like that they have to be taken seriously. Especially having already beaten juve, and Fiorentina away.

·
Registered
66,328 Posts
With regards to midfield solidity, I agree but it's because Conte's Inter was OK to retreat in numbers to close spaces while I don't remember seeing this with Inzaghi.

·
Registered
47,701 Posts
Remember Toni's stat about where the team that wins the first 7 games ends up.

For Milan, like @camelface, I don't take anything away from Pioli based on what happened last season. These were mainly injuries...what can he do? I mean, it could be because of his training methods but I haven't heard anything about that so I'll assume he's in the clear.

4421 - 4440 of 4472 Posts