Xtratime Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Goalkeepers: Oliver Kahn (Germany), Marcos (Brazil), Iker Casillas (Spain), Rustu Recber (Turkey), Lee-Woon-jae (South Korea).

Defenders: Cafu (Brazil), Roberto Carlos (Brazil), Sol Campbell (England), Hong Myung-bo (South Korea), Alpay Ozalan (Turkey), Fernando Hierro (Spain), Johan Mjallby (Sweden).

Midfielders: David Beckham (England), Junichi Inamoto (Japan), Hidetoshi Nakata (Japan), Pape Malick Diop (Senegal), Claudio Reyna (USA), Michael Ballack (Germany), Yoo Sang-chul (South Korea), Marc Wilmots (Belgium).

Strikers: Rivaldo (Brazil), Ronaldo (Brazil), Ronaldinho (Brazil), El Hadji Diouf (Senegal), Ahn Jung-hwan (South Korea), Landon Donovan (USA), Raul (Spain), Hasan Sas (Turkey), Miroslav Klose (Germany), Christian Vieri (Italy), Henrik Larsson (Sweden), Michael Owen (England), Jon Dahl Tomasson (Denmark). (ANSA)
This list is full of SHI* some of theses players are on this list simply because of who they are , and Brad Fridel has been robbed big time !!!! To not be nominated is a slap in the face. Kahn is the best imo but Friedel deserves to be on this list. Sanneh also deserves to be on the list and Obrien could make a case . Owen , Cafu , Marcos , they have done nothing to be on this list. On the upside Donovan and Reyna were nominated

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
What A Load ...

... where's Tony Sanneh
... John O'Brien
... Eddie Pope
... Brad Freidel

Reyna and Donovan, That's it !!! ?

·
Registered
13,202 Posts
a better list

GK: Kahn, Friedel, Rustu
DEF: Cannavarro, Campbell, the other swedish CB not Mjallby, Pope, Sanneh, Roberto Carlos
Mid: Rivaldo, Ronaldhino, Helguera, Ballack, UMIT DAVALA :eek: (he is milans worst player), John O'Brien
ATT: Jon Dahl Tommason, Vieri, Donovan, Morientes, Ronaldo, Sas

A bit short but thats cause i think most playershave been weak this WC

NOTICE NO KOREANS ON MY LIST.......Fair Play an all :D

Lav

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think pope played well , but I dont think he played good enough to be on the list. I think however without any bias towards favoring players on my team , that sanneh JOB friedel and donovan should be there and maybe even mcbride , had reyna not shown up the last 2 games i dont think he would be on the list , but those 2 games were not only his 2 best performences on the national team but perhaps the game against germany was one of the best individual performances in all of the tournament. I still dont see how Owen got on the list , or beckham for that fact. Marcos or cafu really didnt do much either. Rostu fully deserves to be on the list as does sas both of them really surprised me big time. A few others that i think should have been there that are not aer Jay Jay okacho , nigeria went out early but he played very well imo.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Friedel stopped two penalty kicks. That alone should put him on the list.

·
Registered
674 Posts
My two cent's worth for non-Americans:

I love Rustu and Sas. Sas is really a dynamo and seems to be able to serve crosses under terrific defensive pressure. He holds the ball AND attacks at the same time.

Also, because the names are difficult for me, I don't know the name of the big Senegalese player with the dreds. He plays mid-field I believe (But they seemed to be everywhere!). I thought he played well in the stunning first game against the Champion French, and also in the losing effort against Turkey. I'd find a place for him on any team I was assembling.

Carlos is also worthy. Rivaldo, antics aside is not on my list . . . I'm not sure that goals alone are the best indicator. I wouldn't have Klose on the all-star team either.

How about Duff for the Irish? He and Sas are cut from the same cloth. No quit in him! Great effort to get the last minute goal against Germany.

Oldplayer

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree 100 % osf especially with rivaldo and klose , i mean take rivaldo for example , if you take 1000 shots you have to make at least 5 , dont get me wrong though , Rivaldo is a terrific player , but it is just something about him. As for Sas i agree totally he has really surprised me. However I am dying to see a Brazil Germany Final. Everyone in the World wrote off those 2 teams in the begining myself included. But how quickly the world forgot that Germany and Brazil are the most accomplished teams in the World. And it was a bit stupid to write them off in the begining especially since I thought Argentina or France would win it all. I am glad that both teams are back to there top , because even though there have been some surprises , thoses 2 are still has good if not better then anyone

·
Registered
674 Posts
What's in a Name?

Austin,

You can call me Ray, or you can call me Dave . . . I don't reallycare what you call me, just don't call me OSF! :D Although we both have "Old" in our name, I'm the good looking one!:howler:

Germany is solid. Brazil is . . . well, Brazil. This should be a very nice Final. I don't care if the American viewing public sees a 1-nil game, it will still be fascinating becasue we know the players so well by now.

Oldplayer

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Hey, when you're Austin's age, all us old people look the same. :howler:

·
Registered
23 Posts
old guy, your big senegalese back is ferdinand coly, who i absolutely feel should have made the list. the list is crap; it favors the big names and the co-hosts. friedel is in my opinion, as biased as i may be, the most glaring omission to the list. i don't care if he did give up 7 goals, you just show me the ones that were his fault. he singlehandedly assured the results against portugal and the fifa refereeing conspiracy known as korea. 2 penalty kick saves and leading the tournament in saves through the first round makes him a no-brainer, so fifa must actually have a negative-brain, because something has to be guiding some of their absurd decision making.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Here are the Golden Ball Nominees for the 2002 WC:

M. Ballack
(GER)

Roberto Carlos
(BRA)

el Hadji Diouf
(SEN)

Fernando Hierro
(ESP)

Hong Myung Bo
(KOR)

Oliver Kahn
(GER)

Rivaldo
(BRA)

Ronaldo
(BRA)

Ronaldinho
(BRA)

Hasan Sas
(TUR)

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here are my 2 cents on the Golden Ball. I think If Brazil wins it , then ROnaldo takes it. For a couple of reasons. Which I dont think he necessarily deserves.

1 He is Ronaldo , yes he has six goals , but not one of them has been a trademark run , blowing by 6 or 7 players like they are training dummies.

2 It a good "story" I am a huge Ronaldo fan , and I am so glad that he is back scroing goals , but I dont think he is the same player just yet.Ya he missed 2 years or so but he still has some more work to do. I am not saying he is too blame at all , like i said I love the guy in a way I ilodize him. But he is not the same. He is an amzing player Lets admit it though Ronaldo is like MJ him at 80 % is just as good if not better then 98% of the players out there.

3 FIFA needs Ronaldo in the spotlight like the US needs Donovan in the spotlight. People tune into games to watch him and him only , a list of imo 5 players or so that can single handidly draw that attention.

·
Registered
17,812 Posts
Is this a good omen?

From CNNSI.com:

"The 2002 quarter-finals featured, for the first time, teams from all five major soccer federations and had the fewest European teams -- four -- since 1970.

However, come 2006 in Germany it seems inconceivable that South Korea could repeat their heroics away from home, while Turkey and Senegal will remain outsiders for a return to the last eight.

Of all the countries to make inroads, the United States are probably the best-equipped to continue their upward curve.

A predominantly young squad have established themselves as the pre-eminent force in the CONCACAF region and with a huge schools soccer program in place and potentially unlimited resources, they could really make a move.

U.S. coach Bruce Arena, whose team narrowly lost out in the quarter-finals to Germany despite playing most of the good football, seems to have got it about right."

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
The article says, " but he was even more versatile in the last two games as a center back who defended mercilessly and picked his spots to move forward."

He played center back? I thought the U.S. played three in the back against Mexico with Sanneh on the right.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts