Xtratime Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Rising Star
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
...Thy name is thy fate...

Spectators of the Inter-Lecce game at San Siro were witnesses of a historical event but were propably not aware of it until afterwards. At the 26th minute of that game Giuseppe Favalli was substituted by Ze Maria, thereby making Inter the first club in Serie A that put on the pitch a team without a single Italian player. It is somewhat ironic and fitting at the same time that the first club to do it is the one founded exactly for the purpose of being able to engage foreign players and appropriately named.

The reactions afterwards were mixed, steeming from "I don't care where they are from as long as they play well" to "It's not appropriate for an Italian club to have no Italians. The foreigners do not understand what it means to play for Inter". The truth is, as per usual, somewhere in between. If we were to analyze the number of flops and disappointments and dissect them into foreign and Italian the number would propably be around the same.The foreigner,however, is always under extra pressure and a foreign flop is much more noted then a domestic one. It is a classic case of "if nobody notices that a tree had fallen in the woods, did it really fall". It is doubtful IMO that an average Italian from e.g. Udine would feel any more attached to a team from e.g. Rome then an average player from France would. This is not to say that in time they will not develop such feelings but any presupposition repective as to where they come from is out of place. Who's to say that Zanetti is less attached to Inter then Bergomi , a born Milanese but a boyhood Milan fan? Or that Simeone is any less a legend to Laziali then Favalli, an Italian born in Brescia. It is true that an Italian has the advantage of having lived through Serie A since childhood but ultimately it all comes down to the individual. Foreign player-symbols are no less then Italian ones in practically every club,from Liedholm, Charles, Altafini, Suarez, Sivori, Falcao, Platini all the way to Maradona, the Dutch trio and Matthaus. And even to the average nostalgic fan, it will all boil down to the score of the day, eventually...

·
Registered
10,624 Posts
Very thoughtful article :thmbup: :thmbup:

Yea.. Who is to say that Vieri, Toldo, CZ, Favalli, Matrix are more attached to Inter than Cambiasso for example? Does it really make a difference? It all comes down to the individual and not nationalities. JZ is the most currently attached player to Inter from this squad, and anyone who argues this must have good reasons.

At the end of the day, what matters is the player's reaction in a match and the results. We got our 3 points, and that was thanks to our foreign players.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Our club will lose its purpose if UEFA's proposal (about the 5 Italian players for every starting XI thingee, not sure about the figures but...you get the idea) goes through. :( F*ck UEFA! :finger:

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
We play in the Italian Serie A and thus we need Italian players. Its not fair for foreigners to come in and take up spots. And I realized this kind of stuff, b/c i am very angry over it every single day

Pulsar36 said:
Also, its a shame what our team has come to. We play in the Italian Serie A and when Favalli was subbed, we had 0 on our team

Teams like Milan and other big clubs had at least 5 on their team

·
Registered
10,624 Posts
Pulsar, would it satisfy you if, for example, JZ, Cambiasso, Adriano, Oba, Stankovic, Veron, Cordoba all got Italian passports/citizenships?

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
Well let me put it this way- if we had at least 4 or 5 players on our team that were of Italian passport who could play for Italian NT i would be happy. Cuz then we are on par with the worst of the rest, Milan, and Juve. I just don't like being such an extreme

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
31,893 Posts
Same sense if its EU or South American (or others).

There shldnt be any boundaries...

The concern or question could be .. as its an Italian club.. and youth players, mainly italians are brought up there. Why are there so few.. home grown.

I suppose Martins or players like JZ, Cordoba... had been long enough to be considered as the club's OWN.

In a couple of years... certain discussions as such would be considered as discrimination more than heritage or identity

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
I guess so. I guess everyone should be free to go wherever they please. But we need to make sure that Italian talent isn't ignored, cuz the NT needs a place to grow its talents. for example, mexes in roma is ahead of ferrari, who we have to groom as the next central defender after cannvaro retires. We need to get him out of roma nad play him somehwere full time.

And honestly, Mexes isn't better than Ferrari

1 - 10 of 10 Posts