Xtratime Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you Aussies & Kiwis think about Noah Hickey? He's played for the NZ National team & he played for Auckland Kingz. He was apparently one of their best players before he joined Tampere United in the Finnish league. Last year he won the championship with them & he's been quite impressive this season as well. :)

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
I remember he played rather well against us in the Oceania World Cup Qualifiers Playoffs ... apart from that I don't know too much about him.

No disrespect to our friends across the Tasman, but being one of the NZ's better players isn't hard :)

·
International
9,526 Posts
Noah Hickey was a student at Rangitoto College for a while, before being especially drafted into the top soccer playing school of the day, in New Zealand, Auckland Grammer. Having been given an all expenses paid scholarship, Noah arrived at Grammer and promptly informed everyone that he had no intention of playing for the school, he was playing club football, and had only come to get a decent education. He was promptly expelled:howler:

Noah then went on to Central United, a football team that could rightly claim to be one of the best 4 or 5 in NZ, out side of the football Kingz. Noah impressed there, in a variety of roles, but with the emergence of Danny Hay at centre back, slotted eventually into a comfortable sweeping role that led Central to the championship.

From there he went onto the Kingz and the All Whites. He has played in almost every out field position for both teams, but injury ruined his time at the Kingz, and he headed off for Finland where I believe he has made a name for himself. And rightly so. He is a top guy, and although I didn't know him well, have met him a few times and thought him down to earth and a decent bloke.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tampere United seems to be interested in NZ players. They have two NZ's in their squad. Lee Jones & Noah Hickey. The goalkeeper for Finnish first division club, FC Jokerit is Adam Highfield who plays as the keeper for the Under 21 NZ side. Another New Zealander also plays for FC Jokerit his name is Geoffrey Brown.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Yes, there's a massive Oceanic Scandanavian exodus at the moment.

Zane, Wehrman, Casserley among others play in Norway and Sweden and there are a few youngsters who've recently gone for trials - the most notable being Parramatta's exciting young winger Ahmid Elrich.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Well Zane has actually signed for Anderlecht and hopefully his move there will expose him as the very mediocre player he is :nasty: ;).Its obvious the Spirit only sold him to get some quick money (see other thread about them and their leaky finances :rollani: )

Interesting you mentioned Elrich Dyertribe. I raised my eyebrows when i saw him trialling in Norway :wth: since i thought he was better than that (according to the huge wraps on the guy) and i laughed even more at the time when i saw the description for the club he was trialling with (Lyn Oslo) as been stacked with International players even though the club had only been in the top flight for one season. But low and behold Elrich should have taken the move if he was actually offered a contract since Lyn are leading the Tippeliga easily and looking goods for the title already :cool:

I must admit Lionheart that i'm surprised how many Kiwis are in the Finnish league since only about 4 million live in NZ. It seems that the two popular destinations (apart from Oz) seem to be the USA's MLS (where their best player Simon Elliot plays) and the Finish VeikkausLiiga
And Fred a loved the story about Noah at College. Fancy expelling a player for wanting to be a good academic student :wth:. No wonder you economy is fvcked compared to ours :tongue: :stuckup: with ludicrous decisions like that

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
dyertribe said:

Zane, Wehrman, Casserley among others play in Norway and Sweden and there are a few youngsters who've recently gone for trials - the most notable being Parramatta's exciting young winger Ahmid Elrich.
Yeah we got tons of Oceanic players in Scandinavia. The reason our clubs sign your players is the fact that they are good & don't come with an expensive price tag either. :D

For example Hickey is a great player & Tampere United paid virtually "nothing" for him. He was one of the reasons they won the championship.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dyertribe said:

Yeah we got tons of Oceanic players in Scandinavia. The reason our clubs sign your players is the fact that they are good & don't come with an expensive price tag either. :D

For example Hickey is a great player & Tampere United paid virtually "nothing" for him. He was one of the reasons they won the championship.

·
International
9,526 Posts
Andreas said:
And Fred a loved the story about Noah at College. Fancy expelling a player for wanting to be a good academic student :wth:. No wonder you economy is fvcked compared to ours :tongue: :stuckup: with ludicrous decisions like that

lol....well, to be fair, he was given sports scholarship based on his footballing ability, not his scholastic ability (which, unfortunately, is non existant). So when he refused to play for the school.....I think he was expelled on trumped up charges of truency. And our economy is doing fine, thank you;)

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Fred Elliot said:
And our economy is doing fine, thank you;)
Why do all your bloody 20 cent pieces turn up in our vending machines!!! :groan:

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
dyertribe said:

Why do all your bloody 20 cent pieces turn up in our vending machines!!! :groan:
:howler: :irritate:

I think because the extra 20c tagged onto the NZ $ makes it equivalent to $1 AUS :D

I guess the kiwi's thought that since their 20c piece looks similar to ours and due to (previously) relaxed travel conditions etc... they never thought of getting their currency converted or perhaps just couldn't be bothered :)

·
International
9,526 Posts
Andreas said:

:howler: :irritate:

I think because the extra 20c tagged onto the NZ $ makes it equivalent to $1 AUS :D

I guess the kiwi's thought that since their 20c piece looks similar to ours and due to (previously) relaxed travel conditions etc... they never thought of getting their currency converted or perhaps just couldn't be bothered :)
feel free to send any unwanted coins to me, over in the land of the Super 12 Champions;) :tongue: (wish I could say world champions, although, you never know;) :D )

1 - 12 of 12 Posts