Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premier Player
3,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From BBC

Everton defender Abel Xavier has been linked with an £800,000 switch to Merseyside rivals Liverpool.
The 29-year-old Portuguese international visited Liverpool's training ground, Melwood, on Monday to meet club officials.

A Liverpool FC spokesman announced: "I can confirm that Abel Xavier was at Melwood today discussing the possibility of a move to Liverpool Football Club."

The club and Abel have failed to reach agreement on a new contract

Toffees manager Walter Smith
Everton placed Xavier on the transfer list after his contract talks broke down and he is free to leave Goodison on a Bosman free transfer at the end of June.
"The club and Abel have failed to reach agreement on a new contract," said Toffees manager Walter Smith.

"Negotiations have broken down recently, so what the club have decided to do, with the agreement of the player, is to place him on the transfer list immediately.

"That will mean he will be available to move at any time if a club comes in for him."

Xavier, who joined the Blues for £1.5m in September 1999, has made just 49 appearances for Everton during his two-and-a-half year spell.

The Merseyside rivals are scheduled to meet in an FA Barclaycard Premiership match at Anfield on 23 February.

·
Registered
51 Posts
thank god your not the manager

With Babbel out and Carrager most likely out and Vignal with foot problems and traore out on loan. The reds are doing the right thing. Why would we go out and spend 8million on a defender right now when are other defenders come back there will be no room for the ones we just bought then they will crack the sads coz they aint getting a game. Why not save your money till the summer Buy a defender who is ok for 800,000 And use him for the rest of the season and he obvously wont be diserpointed about sittin on the bench because Liverpool are a big team and he would wanna tag along rather then playin at Everton.

Smart move by the reds and Abel Plays right back which is the same position Babbel or carregher takes up.

Another smart move would be to go and get the players that have said they wanna play for the reds jay jay Ochocha can play on the right wing his fast and creative and wants to move to the premiership and said that he would prefer liverpool then anyone else. Dereck Bouteg wan'ts to join the reds to over anybody else he can play on the left wing thats brings width pace and creativity to are squad and we have players that really wanna play and if they really wanna play for a club there not gonna let them down.

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
I slightly agree with THE_RED_MACHINE here... even without Carra's ban.. we were short in defence... and now it's worse.. we needed cover and badly.. and for 800k.. I'd say Xavier is a good choice.. he has experience.. and has proven himself both nationally and internationally..

Wow.. what's with all the players wanting to join Liverpool all of a sudden!!! Top of my list would be Cisse... Okocha is excellent but is growing old.. so I'd have second thoughts about him.. As for Boateng.. I can't see him getting a single game.. with all the strikers we have!!

But I do agree with Mindscape that our management should have also thought about our other weak spots (like the wingers) and sorted them out....

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
we have talk so much about wingers but they seems to be arriving and with houllier being our manager i certainly don't think anybody would come as winger!

·
Premier Player
3,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
look I am fully aware that Carragher is banned. But Vignal resumed training a few days ago. He is coming back. Oh on.....haven't U forgot a certain Vangard Heggem who had been in FULL FITNESS since the beginning of the season? Ok granted Heggem defensive abilities is not the best in the EPL but then again neither is Xavier, he was at fault for a lot of loose goals which is why Everton did not move heaven and earth to keep him. Even Steven Gerrard can play at full back so can Riise. Again while I am not saying that Riise is a terrific defender, neither is Xavier either. Then there is Steven Wright who is as versitile as Carragher in defence. But the point is that we are looking for substitutes not replacements for Carragher while he is suspended and he won't be suspended forever. Yeah thank God I am not the manager otherwise I will not dip into the transfer funds and make you ppls excited. It is sad that transfers create interests while the players on the field don't.

·
Premier Player
3,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And Biscan can play in defence too. Right back or centre back.

·
Premier Player
3,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Then we can even play Heskey at right back or left back or centre defence. :D :D

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
MINDSCAPE said:
Then we can even play Heskey at right back or left back or centre defence. :D :D
LOL.. I think we should play him as a goal post :D

As for Xavier.. ya you're right regarding Heggem and Biscan.. I certainly wouldn't want to move Gerrard now as he seems to be the only midfielder with some creativity (Of course Litti not included.. I know you'd have my head if I said he's not creative :D).. Biscan is someone I would have loved to see filling that post.. But sadly, it seems both Biscan and Heggem are totally out of the picture with regards to management..

Mindscape, It's not that I forgot that those are there.. It's just that I know they won't be figuring.. as for Carra.. we have no idea how long he's gonna be suspended.. Vignal and Riise are on the left side.. and clearly, Riise is better in midfield.. Stephen Wright is another excellent prospect.. but he's a bit too careless when it comes to tackles.. Yes.. I agree we have enough players who can fill that position during Carragher's abscence.. But then again.. I was one who thought Carragher should have been given a rest for a few games since his form has dipped.. :rolleyes: then again, same goes for Heskey.. and we've seen how that has been dealt with !! :depress:

·
Star Player
2,961 Posts
MINDSCAPE said:
haven't U forgot a certain Vangard Heggem who had been in FULL FITNESS since the beginning of the season
I haven't forgotten him;) In fact, I was just going to mention him when I noticed your post. I too believe we DO NOT NEED any more defenders. A right winger is what we need. Gerrard, Heskey, Murphy, Smicer are all part-timers in that role and I have often felt duing matches that our right side of the midfield has been exposed. Actually, the thread title should be............
No! Not another defender!

·
Premier Player
3,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
U talked about only Gerrard and Litmanen who had creativity. There is another one too - Jaime Redknapp. I would not be too worried about moving Gerrard to defence if the need arises cos there will be Redknapp to fill in for Steven.

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
Mindscape, Ya.. you're correct.. Redknapp is also another player who has creativity.. but the same goes for Barmby.. and they enter the same category as Heggem and Biscan (Litmanen is also a candidate here :().. They almost are certain of NOT being picked.. which is sick... I would love to see Redders back..

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
Then again... there are so many things I'd want to see done or happening... But I'm not Houllier :depress:

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Considering that they wont play neither Biscan nor Heggem as right back, and with Carra and Babbel out, Abel Xavier at 800.000 pounds is a bargain. Anyone who says he cant defend has hardly seen the guy play, he is decent. And he can also play center back. I too would like Heggem play a game or Biscan being tried out though.

And I will be very upset if Xavier joins and go straight in the line up with Wright being benched... :(

I cant say I'm particularly exited about Abel Xavier but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. Remember McAllister in his first season with us?

·
Premier Player
3,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am not saying he can't defend. All I said is that either Liverpool get players who have more defensive ability then Xavier like Herman Hereidersson. We can afford to spend after selling Fowler for 11 mil. While I am not saying Xavier defensive ability is crap, I would not say he is excellent either. The players we have are sufficient to fill in the gap left by Carragher short team absence. If we were to sign him for a short term replacement, I really dun see the point of signing Xavier. If we were to sign him for a long period of time, I do not see the point of signing him either. 1. Babbel will most likely be back with us next season. 2. We have the funds to buy someone who will really make an impact. Proven world class quality. The World Cup is this year, there will be chances to access the different players.

·
Premier Player
3,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I never had any doubt that McAllister will Succeed, afterall this baldie have a few fantastic seasons with Coventry. Xavier on the other hand is out with injuries, poor form and a lot of problems. His place in the Portugal team had been taken over by Nuno Frechaut

In any case
here is the latest news
Portugal defender Abel Xavier has agreed a deal to join Liverpool from city rivals Everton. The 29-year-old, who will cost around £750,000, will complete the move after a medical on Tuesday.

"I can confirm that Abel Xavier was at Melwood discussing the possibility of a move," said an Anfield spokesman on Monday night.

Xavier was put on the transfer list by Everton boss Walter Smith after refusing to sign a new contract earlier this month. Smith said: "The club and Abel have failed to reach agreement on a new contract.

"Negotiations have broken down recently, so what the club have decided to do, with the agreement of the player, is to place him on the transfer list immediately. That will mean he will be available to move at any time if a club comes in for him."

Xavier insisted he wanted a crack at Champions' League football and Liverpool moved in to fill their problem right-back position.

Youngster Stephen Wright has been filling in for much of the season in the absence of German international Marcus Babbel, who has been struck down by illness.

Babbel has contracted Guillain-Barre syndrome - a rare virus that attacks the nervous system, which has kept him out all season.

The deal is expected to go through this week in time for the Xavier to be registered to play in the Champions' League.

Xavier joined the Everton for £1.5 million in 1999 from PSV Eindhoven and was a key member of the Portugal side that reached the semi-finals of Euro 2000.

He is set to be become the second player in recent times to make the journey across Stanley Park from Everton to Liverpool following England midfielder Nick Barmby.

Other players to have made the switch between the two rival sides include Dave Hickson, Johnny Morrisey, Kevin Sheedy, Alan Harper David Johnsosn, Gary Ablett, and Peter Beardsley.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Here you got him :D
Good luck Abel Xavier.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Why doesn't Redders get picked as he is injury free. He can keep the ball, create, and is a prolific scorer for a midfielder when he's playing regularly just what we need.

About Xavier, I don't think we need him, and even if Carrager is out for 6 or so games, we can cover that position with the likes of Riise. Its not the defence that we should be worried about, as we are not exactly leaking goals.

·
Premier Player
3,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Exactly my thoughts.
everyone will play
Redknapp - Hamann - Gerrard in midfield
Litmanen and Berger or Smicer behind Owen

or a 3-1-2 with roughtly the same players

The defence can take care of itself. We just need to pass the ball around, keep possession, create lots of trouble, attack in waves to get rid of half the pressure exerted on the defence. Benching the players who can do all these or making them play rubbish football will not only sacrifice all these but also exert a greater pressure on the defence cos we will be losing balls every 5 seconds.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Well I'm going to pick through these posts one by one! ;) There is a lot of misinformed crap in these posts today, suprising since most of these people are regulars with very inciteful posts regarding Liverpool issues.

MINDSCAPE said:
look I am fully aware that Carragher is banned. But Vignal resumed training a few days ago. He is coming back. Oh on.....haven't U forgot a certain Vangard Heggem who had been in FULL FITNESS since the beginning of the season? Yeah thank God I am not the manager otherwise I will not dip into the transfer funds and make you ppls excited. It is sad that transfers create interests while the players on the field don't.
Firstly, Heggem has not been fully fit since the beginning of the season. Heggem has only played 2 reserve games in recent weeks, and then he made the bench. In fact I remember him having a relapse earlier in the season from his injury. I'm sorry but you can't blame GH for signing more cover for this side of the defence. Babbel is out for god knows how long, Carra could be banned from now to eternity, Heggem has more injury problems than Gazza has drinks, and that would leave us with Wright as the only recognised rightback available going into the CL campaign. Yes Gerrard can play that position, but he is more important in midfield when we are playing the likes of Roma, Barcelona etc.

Secondly I don't think this signing excites anyone. I think he's a good back up player, but should be nothing more. However I felt this about Henchoz when he signed and look how he went on! ;) If there is one area of the team that GH knows well, it is defending! ;):D

utopia said:

I haven't forgotten him;) In fact, I was just going to mention him when I noticed your post. I too believe we DO NOT NEED any more defenders. A right winger is what we need. Gerrard, Heskey, Murphy, Smicer are all part-timers in that role and I have often felt duing matches that our right side of the midfield has been exposed. Actually, the thread title should be............
No! Not another defender!
Heggem could play that role of Right winger! ;)

Yasir said:
Mindscape, Ya.. you're correct.. Redknapp is also another player who has creativity.. but the same goes for Barmby.. and they enter the same category as Heggem and Biscan (Litmanen is also a candidate here :().. They almost are certain of NOT being picked.. which is sick... I would love to see Redders back..
ALL of the above mentioned players are either injured or just coming back from long term injury. Barmby just played his first reserve game, Redknapp missed that same game because of another injury, Heggem has just returned and played 2 reserve games.
Biscan is the only exception, and you can only think something is going on behind the scenes with him! :(

juuvee said:
Why doesn't Redders get picked as he is injury free. He can keep the ball, create, and is a prolific scorer for a midfielder when he's playing regularly just what we need.

About Xavier, I don't think we need him, and even if Carrager is out for 6 or so games, we can cover that position with the likes of Riise. Its not the defence that we should be worried about, as we are not exactly leaking goals.

Redders is not injury free!

Riise is not a right sided defender, he's barely a left sided defender for gods sake.
If GH had left it as we are and we found out Carra was banned for 12 games, you'd all be saying, why didn't the fool sign a stop gap player as cover for him. Lets face it if Heggem relapses again, and Wright gets injured we are screwed down the right. Now we have a backup player to cover for these inevitable injuries.

Where's the problem?;)

·
Premier Player
3,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here is to correct some RazorUK misconceptions :D :D
While Vignal is involved in the last 2 reserve matches and getting better since his injury is just short term he should be in contentions

A quick check of the LiverpoolFc.TV homepage reveals that Heggem have been playing the following reserve matches this season.

November - Tue 06 Middlesbrough (H)
Tue 13 Sheffield Wednesday (H)
Wed 21 Newcastle United (H)
Mon 26 Bradford City (H)

December
Mon 17 Everton (H)

January
Tue 15 Leeds United (H)
Wed 23 Blackburn Rovers (A)

I did not go to check the September and October reserve matches, cos the server is frikking slow. Chances are he would still have played in those matches too

two matches huh? :D :D :)

Carragher would miss 3-6 matches - Eternaty?

It is true that Heggem have injury problems, unfortunately Papa Smurf isn't exactly free of injuries.

Had we sign a really good and world class consistant full back, I would have no problems at all. Portuguese Full backs are not exactly the best in the world. Remember a certain Fernando Nelson at Villa? Stephen Wright is as good as Xavier and he should be given a chance in the first team. Now we sign an allegedly "International" (He was banned for 9 months and lost his place since then) we will be obliged to play him for at least a few games. I am not saying he is crap. All I am saying that Wright could have done just as good a job as Papa smurf.

U talk about injury problems. Riise can switch to left back and Vignal is coming back plus Wright playing well at right back with Heggem as his standby. Does that sound like a crisis in defence? Ok so the central defence may need cover, Wright, Biscan can play there as well. Wrose come to worse Gerrard can play across the backline with some merit. We have enough midfielders and strikers to field two teams. Now we are extending to the defence as well.

U make it sound like we have a defensive crisis.

Henchoz is different, when he was signed he definately represents an improvement over the bunch Liverpool had. If we were to sign someone like say Willy Sagnol or Carles Puyol, then it is an improvement and I will say go ahead. But Xavier is just doing the job which our players in the squard could done just as well.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts