Xtratime Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Feyenoord disclosure annoys Wenger

Arsene Wenger has voiced his displeasure at Feyenoord's apparent attempt to force up the price for striker Robin van Persie by publicly revealing Arsenal's bid.

Wenger was today still not confirming whether he had, indeed, made a move for Persie, even though Feyenoord revealed they had turned a bid down earlier this week and were awaiting a revised offer.

The Arsenal boss seemingly fears the Dutch club are trying to hike up the 19-year-old striker's price by revealing the Gunners' interest so openly.

'Have we signed him? No we haven't. Have we approached Feyenoord? I cannot tell you that as we always keep our negotiations secret,' he declared.

'All I can say is when a chairman comes out and says that Arsenal have made a bid, he is putting the player on the market. It is then difficult for him to keep the player.'

That, however, could be exactly Feyenoord's intention, given that they risk losing a prized asset on a free transfer at the end of next season.

Indeed, it is not the first time this month that a club have publicly revealed their refusal of a bid, with Charlton and Fulham having done the same with Scott Parker and Louis Saha respectively.

Wenger stopped short of being directly critical of Feyenoord, given that he may still wish to do business with them.

However, he admitted: 'It's getting very difficult in our business to be masters of things. Once things are public, you have even less influence on things so, of course, that's a worry for me.

'You only provoke competition as you might have been on a case alone. You can also provoke local reaction against the deal, with possibly fans putting pressure on the chairman not to sell.

'Multiple things can possibly harm a deal that can sometimes be done quietly.'

Asked if such a tactic would make him less likely to sign a player, Wenger nevertheless admitted: 'No, I'd just say that it makes it more difficult and it could be more expensive.

'Does it force a price-war? Not always but it can happen. I don't know what the interest of making it public is if you want to make do a deal.'

Wenger, who may have to raise his bid to £4million to sign van Persie, refused to even discuss the striker's talent, fully realising the likely effect of such comments.

However, he dismissed the warning of Ruud Gullit, who takes over as Feyenoord coach this summer, that van Persie could suffer a similar fate to other Arsenal recruits in not playing regularly.

'Everyone has his opinion but I don't know where he sees that,' he responded.

Despite Arsenal's interest in van Persie, as well as being linked with Jermain Defoe, Patrick Kluivert and Jose Reyes, Wenger insists he is still only '20%' likely to make a January signing.

Then again, those chances have at least risen from last week, when he was resolutely saving all his £10million transfer kitty until the summer.

'If it's the player we need, I will do it. But I'm not desperate,' insisted Wenger.

'We can still call back Francis Jeffers or Jermaine Pennant from their loan deals. We have checked the rules and, if needed, they can come back for the championship or the Champions League.

'Will I do it? I don't know. We would have to have an injury crisis.'

---------------------------------------------

major hit back.

do you think wenger will still sign?

i do agree with wenger, but i also can see it from fey's point of view.

one side, we got wenger who wants to keep his business secret as always so no other large clubs who have no idea who to sign decides to follow wenger. also this jacks up the price alot.

however seeing it from fey's point of view, this guy contract ends soon so what do they have to loose?

but seriously, is this the end of VP?wenger doesnt sound to happy
:skull:

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
I keep hearing prima donna rumours about this guy; as much as i'd like a new dutch player here, i'd rather not get another Anelka.

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
Wenger is just keeping his cards close to his chest,he thinks Feyenoord are trying to take the piss and we all know he doesn't like spending more than he has to. ;)

let Feyenoord come begging on the last days of the window :D

Chris,he is a bit of a prima donna,but if it turns out like Anelka and we sell him on in two years with a massive profit i'll be more than happy. ;)

·
Registered
8,947 Posts
Wenger is not only known for his wise transfer budget spending, but also for his eyes of talents. We have seen many players that he bought were turned into great players since his installation as Arsenal manager.

And I noticed that more clubs become more cautious if their players are linked to Arsenal. If they're being linked and approached officially by the Arsenal, that means the players are actually special ones and will probably do fine in their new club. This is why the club will charge a bigger price for the players as they don't want to lose their valuable assets for few money.

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i am just scared of other big clubs like chelsea, real or man utd will try to swoop this guy up since wenger is interested, exp man utd.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
anyone has watched yesterday game between Brazil and Chile
this guy Diego Ribas is Fantastic
he's unbelievable

over the WHOLE 90 minute
he didn't pass any wrong pass

his passaing is 100% accurate

a briliant Play Maker

anyone knows his prise

there is no roumor about him
but really I Love to see him in Highbury

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i dont know how u can fit another midfielder into highbury

if you sign him gooner, you'll be crying that we dont play pennant as much :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
if you have watched this guy

you will take him over Pennant and Bently

he's still 18 years old

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok our midfielders:

gilberto
pires
freddie
vieira
edu
pennat
GVB (if he chooses to come back)

lets not include GVB, so thats 6 midfielders, 4 ont he field, so thats a rotation about 2 every week except that pires fred and vieira take the field always. so thats a rotation of 1 midfielder a game so thats 2 midfielders every 2 games. then you add this deigo, so the ratation doesnt get very pleasent. and we dont know if this kids whiny or not. so then other midfielders might exit

just remind you, pennant probably isnt very happy about rotation system also, he hardly players, if you add deigo, i am sure pennant will go. now this player you seen like one game? so you are nto 100% sure he'll be a hot star when he grows up etc. (jeffers) however pennant on the other hand shows us almost every game how good he is.

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
Gooner,yes Diego is a great playmaker,but you seem to forget we have a younger one(Cesc) and an older one (Bentley) both can be every bit as good as Diego,remember Spurs were trying to sign him so i'm sure Wenger even knows what he eats for breakfast,be sure of that :cool:

we can't get every great talent,just a few and hope Wenger works wonders :D ,personally i feel Cesc would be a better player in the EPL even at 16 than Diego because he is more compettitive and used to a European tempo. :tongue:

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Strange that you've done exactly the same thing as we did with Saha, yet you're not accused of tapping players up........

Not that I think you've done anything wrong, or that we did. I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy of the British media.

·
World Class Player
7,673 Posts
SuicideDD said:
Strange that you've done exactly the same thing as we did with Saha, yet you're not accused of tapping players up........

Not that I think you've done anything wrong, or that we did. I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy of the British media.
Excuse me? To which incident are you referring? :confused: An official bid was submitted to Feyenoord for Van Persie, whereas Man Utd have been accused of agreeing terms with the player before the club (which is illegal).

·
Registered
8,947 Posts
The meeting and conversation between our officials including Arsène Wenger and Robin van Persie was arranged with the permission of Feyenoord. And just like before, we always contacted and talked to the club first to bid their players as it is the legal way. On the other hand, Man Utd. has been famous for their reputation of tapping the player by contacting the player without club's consent.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Bastin said:
Excuse me? To which incident are you referring? :confused: An official bid was submitted to Feyenoord for Van Persie, whereas Man Utd have been accused of agreeing terms with the player before the club (which is illegal).
I know an official bid was submitted, and that's completely fair. I'm not saying in any way that Arsenal did anything wrong.

We also made an official bid for Saha and Fulham turned it down, then Saha got upset and started talking to the press. Out of this we're accused of tapping a player up, yet all we did was submit a bid to Fulham, which Chris Coleman has confirmed.

I suppose it sells papers anyway, and gives the ABU idiots something else to talk about.....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts