Xtratime Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sad but true, it seems that Division One team Braunau were declared bankrupt!

That means FC Lustenau has a chance to hold the league (guess the fans of FCL might like this news)

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Hey onimaci, great to see you back again :)

Yes, yes, Braunau - another sad case of bad management in Austrian soccer. They´ve been struggling over the last recent years, so them going bancrupt ain´t no real big surprise.

I feel sorry for the players and the fans, not to mention that Austrian soccer once again comes to appear in a bad light.

·
Registered
10,150 Posts
The news didn´t really strike me, last year it was pretty obvious that Braunau has no future.
I´m more interested in what Braunau´s bankruptcy can mean for First Vienna´s promotion chances.
And unfortunately it looks like Günter Jerabek (who would have been at least twice as good as Prosenik) will go to Krems.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
MxPx said:

I´m more interested in what Braunau´s bankruptcy can mean for First Vienna´s promotion chances.
Maybe you'll have kind of a déja vu if you make it to the play-offs...

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wonder why three of the five professional teams that went bankrupt in the last 15 years (Eintracht Wels in the 80's, FavAC, Steyr, St. Pölten and Braunau) come from Upper Austria. Maybe Quent knows something about that?

I definately would love to see Vienna (or Sportklub) back in the First Division as tradition never dies and IMO both should be back in one of the professional leagues.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I thought about the matter as well and have no real idea about it. Upper Austria´s economy is sort of booming, and I cannot understand why of all federal states Upper Austria is always in the news with clubs possibly facing bancrupcy and whatever else scandals. There should be interested investors here as well, with our - as mentioned - strong economic situation and lots of remarkable corporations and the "wealth" of our state. Local politics always claim to be interested to bring back top soccer to Upper Austria, especially to Linz which claims itself a city of sports, but it´s probably not exactly their job to invest loads of money in crappy-run football clubs. And seeing the somewhat poor sportive and economic record of most Upper Austrian clubs, I remotely understand companies that want to stay away from football and rather get into Ice Hockey, with the overly hyped Black Wings Linz.

Eintracht Wels, VÖEST Linz, Vorwärts Steyr, Braunau, LASK with a certain history of mismanagement as well... it is strange. Agreed, neither Wels nor Steyr or Braunau are what´s known as metropolis, but still there is / was a solid fan base ant potential sponsors, so I can´t quite figure out why we´re having all this mess. SV Ried shows that even smaller towns manage to have successful Bundesliga teams, so I seriously wonder why Linz can´t (not that I am nor ever was a fan of LASK. I´m just baffled).

As for Braunau as specific case, well, as MxPx said, there were problems for a too long time now, so it was only a matter of time. Braunau probably really wasn´t a huge enough soccer market. Add brutal mismanagement to it and you get the sad, but obvious result.

Perhaps this effort of listing some potential reasons for the troublesome situation of football in Upper Austria makes sense. Mind you, it´s just my very personal effort to answer onimaci´s question. I could be just as well way off, being no insider, but to me, it makes sense :)

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
And Ried isn't in a very good financial situation too... :(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts