Xtratime Community banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
First Place Winner, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
42,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
There is nothing wrong with the youth system. It is the coaching training that needs to be reviewed, they are churning out incompetent coaches all the time. Press is already throwing a coaching combo of de Boertjes around but they will not improve it either.

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
You know better than me about the youth system. That was just a suggestion on my part.

The coaching and KNVB's internal processes definitely have to be reviewed though. Without a doubt. Even a monkey could see there is something wrong here.

Getting back to the NL-ISL game - Wtf was up with Blind's substitutions?

Ok, I may not have agreed with his starting line-up either but his subs were just beyond me. Taking off Huntelaar for Bruma when it is still 0-0 and then shifting Memphis to ST and Sneijder to LW :lol: He also took off Wijnaldum when he was just starting to look threatening in the dying stages :confused:

·
Registered
23,835 Posts
Our poule is one of the easiest of the lot, but we still suck big time. Only Greece in their group is even suckier.

Double glad I missed the game on Thursday. Because of how we played and simply because Siggi played. Even for the opponent I can't stand him anymore.

·
Registered
58,963 Posts
Already one down

·
Registered
58,963 Posts
Laughable

From third in the world to laughing stock and basically a rabble under Hiddink and Blind.

·
Registered
58,963 Posts
Damn it, why didn't i put money on it

·
Registered
23,835 Posts
Early 80's it must be, but at least like the likes of Rijkaard, Van Basten, Gullit were coming up then. Now we just have to see the quality of the likes of Depay and others.

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
:lol:

Can't say it was't coming though

Blind says he won't resign just yet

This is indeed the worst Dutch team in at least a couple of decades

·
FINOALLAFINE
9,248 Posts
You do not defend like that"

07 sep 2015

"The positional play has been weak, especially in defence and within the penalty area", Johan Cruyff writes in his weekly column in 'De Telegraaf'. Cruyff is not pleased by the results of the Dutch national team in the Euro qualifying campaign last week and is shocked by the level of the players.

"It has everything to do with a different way of thinking. More often I see a pile-up of players in the penalty area, while it should be an essential part of match tactics to know beforehand how many people you need in the box during corner kicks."

"Tactics are not just a matter of three attackers or four defenders, it is way more. Players should train on the specifics, like positional play for defenders in the penalty area."

"Against Iceland, especially in the beginning, too many passes were given wide instead of deep. In addition, the speed of the play is a problem, while it is so simple. By placing the ball in front of someone, the person in question needs to be moving. I think it is shocking to see how few players of the Dutch national team have mastered this."

"The one who is performing well is Daley Blind. It is striking how he has improved after a year at Manchester United. A good example of what a higher training intensity can do."

"The simple fact that our basic tactical and technical skills are below par, has everything to do with the amount of training, which makes you wonder."

·
First Place winner, June 2010 Photo Contest
37,667 Posts
"More often I see a pile-up of players in the penalty area, while it should be an essential part of match tactics to know beforehand how many people you need in the box during corner kicks."

"Tactics are not just a matter of three attackers or four defenders, it is way more. Players should train on the specifics, like positional play for defenders in the penalty area."

"Against Iceland, especially in the beginning, too many passes were given wide instead of deep. In addition, the speed of the play is a problem, while it is so simple. By placing the ball in front of someone, the person in question needs to be moving"
Cruijff has been saying that for years and years. He's right, of course. But merely saying it isn't going to improve things. All these players know how to play, they show it at club level, but for some reason not at NT level.

As such it's not unusual. Take Seedorf for example. As a club player he's won every thing there is. At NT level... well, let's not even finish that sentence. :mute:

·
Registered
318 Posts
Quite a shock to read those comments here. From my little nation, the Dutch national team is supported by many Icelanders that I know. Oranje is a popular team in Iceland to support. Total football and all that enjoyment you have brought us through the years.

My father is a former player and a great admirer of the Dutch. Loves your number 14.

We beat you fair and square in Reykjavík. Simply the better team. Kolbeinn Sigþórsson acting didn't make me proud but we beat you also in Amsterdam.

You Dutch people are nice to visit. Myself, I have been to De Kuip in Rotterdam to follow my team in preliminaries versus Feyenoord, which my uncle from IA Akranes played for.

Dutch mentality is that the Germans are arrogant and can behave like idiots.

Despite reading this, I hope you make it to the Euro in France. No big tournament is held without the team that I have loved to watch since I was a little boy. Arrogance get's you nowhere.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Bottom line, our youth training system has gotten us where we are. A tiny nation in the middle of nowhere.

FYI, again; there is huge admiration for your national team here. Always been and remains. I hope you recover soon from this downfall.

Beating Holland twice was far beyond my wildest dreams.

·
Registered
42,475 Posts
Iceland have a really interesting team. Personally I'd be thrilled if a friendly could be organized so Australia and Iceland could play a match together :D I think it'd be a good match, and I wouldn't be surprised if Iceland won, either.

Iceland just seem like a team without really big stars, but as a team you function really well, you must give a lot of credit to your coach too of course, but just look at teams such as Croatia who have names like Modric, Rakitic, Kovacic, Mandzukic etc. and they're behind Norway in qualifiers.

What are you expecting from your team heading into the EUROs?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Iceland have a really interesting team. Personally I'd be thrilled if a friendly could be organized so Australia and Iceland could play a match together :D I think it'd be a good match, and I wouldn't be surprised if Iceland won, either.

Iceland just seem like a team without really big stars, but as a team you function really well, you must give a lot of credit to your coach too of course, but just look at teams such as Croatia who have names like Modric, Rakitic, Kovacic, Mandzukic etc. and they're behind Norway in qualifiers.

What are you expecting from your team heading into the EUROs?
Not anything, our first chance at this. But we have team spirit and a will to fight for our country. Some talent also, many of our professional players started abroad in the Netherlands.

The Dutch, to me nowadays; are more based on individuals.

Seems like the mentality isn't correct over there. Oranje definently have the talent, but something is ****ed up.

To me it is a big miss if the Dutch miss the Euro. Has always been a team that is a must see in big tournaments.

·
Registered
42,475 Posts
I know some people think this is like a "one off" for Iceland these recent qualification performances... just a "flash in the pan" and afterwards Icelandic football resumes being mediocre, but as you've mentioned, Iceland have invested in youth so if it keeps paying off Iceland will continue to develop good quality players for the NT, hopefully?

·
Registered
318 Posts
I know some people think this is like a "one off" for Iceland these recent qualification performances... just a "flash in the pan" and afterwards Icelandic football resumes being mediocre, but as you've mentioned, Iceland have invested in youth so if it keeps paying off Iceland will continue to develop good quality players for the NT, hopefully?
We started building indoor full size pitches many years ago that changed everything. Plus that even smaller teams here even have the requirements to have educated trainers for the kids from age 5-6 y.o.

I think that we have earned what we have gotten.

Football is number 1 sport in Iceland.

·
Registered
42,475 Posts
The Icelandic language is very interesting, though some parts are difficult for me - I've read a few books by Icelandic writers for example Halldor Laxness and I don't know how to pronounce these letters, you couldn't give me any pointers, could you?

þ

ð

21 - 40 of 44 Posts