Xtratime Community banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Niko Kovač has offically retired from the Croatian NT and I would like to take this chance to say thank you to a great leader and a great man who gave his NT his best in every one of his 82 matches!:thumbsup::proud:

Sportske said:
Niko Kovač: Definitivno je gotovo, više neću igrati za reprezentaciju!

Nakon razgovora s izbornikom Slavenom Bilićem, u srijedu u Münchenu, kapetan reprezentacije Niko Kovač obznanio je odluku o prestanku igranja za Hrvatsku! Mobitelom smo ga zatekli u zračnoj luci glavnoga bavarskog grada gdje je dopratio izbornika koji se vraćao prema Zagrebu.
- Odluka je donesena, više neću igrati za Hrvatsku! - kazao nam je stariji Kovač više-manje ipak očekivanu vijest.
- Nije to lako prelomiti jer igranjem za Hrvatsku potpuno sam se ispunio kao čovjek i nogometaš. No, nisam dijete, znam što nosi moj status u klubu, perspektiva da neću igrati za Red Bull na proljeće. U mojim godinama takve su pauze pogubne za formu i nemam pravo težinom svoje klupske situacije opteretiti reprezentaciju. Hrvatsku očekuje veliki boj za SP i izbornik mora računati na najbolje igrače koji su u pravoj formi i koji će tu borbu za veliko natjecanje moći uspješno dovesti do kraja kakvog svi priželjkujemo, s vizom za Južnu Afriku

Godina ............Klub ................Nastupi (golovi)
1989. - 1991.FC Hertha Zehlendorf. 25 (7)
1991. - 1996.Hertha BSC. 148 (15)
1996. - 1999.Bayer Leverkusen. 77 (8)
1999. - 2001.Hamburger SV. 55 (12)
2001. - 2003.Bayern München. 34 (3)
2003. - 2006.Hertha BSC. 74 (8)
2006. - 2009.Red Bull Salzburg. 57 (9)
2009. - ??

Reprezentacija
1996. - 2009. Hrvatska 82 (15)

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
Hvala najljepse...

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Truly an outstanding and impressive NT career for someone to have, 12 years and 83 games, 4 major tournaments and captaining the side for a long period is something few footballing greats are able to achieve.
Although he was never a technically attractive player he was indeed an integral part of our NT and should be remembered for his professionalism, heart and patriotism while proudly wearing the shirt which he represented.
A legend of the Croatia NT. Hvala Niko!

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
He played hard and he played with heart and if I recall he said he'd stay around for the fall qualifying and that's it...and he did just that. Now its time for his brother to retire.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
That's good news.

We should celebrate his retiring and his NT career.

Niko was the face of the team for several years. All my non Croatian friends thought he was a warrior... and he was.

But like Jure just said, now it's Robert's turn... like NOW!

·
Registered
69,374 Posts
good player for the NT and a guy who scored some big goals in qualifiers and in tournaments. It was honestly time for him to go, but he will be remebered greatly :thmbup:

·
Registered
10,611 Posts
Good decision by Niko and it was about time. I also wanna thank him for his 100% effort given each game and for being a good captain in the post Boban years:thumbsup: for his lack of skill and older age he sure did manage to stay on the NT for a while which is very impressive.

·
Banned
22,345 Posts
Sad to see him go but nothing but thanks for his contribtions to our NT.:thumbsup:

Wondering what the anti-Niko Kovac crowd is going to bitch and moan about now? :rollani:

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
who's in the running now to be our new captain? I think we had a thread going on a month or so ago, we need to dig that up...

·
Registered
13,606 Posts
who's in the running now to be our new captain? I think we had a thread going on a month or so ago, we need to dig that up...
not known. but bilic says he has already decided but has shed no light as to who it may be. index.hr which isn't really a reliable source claims its gonna be simunic.

·
Registered
69,374 Posts
I think Pletikosa should be captain....Simunic is too wild and he could very easily lose it at any moment, Srna to me doesn't seem to be a leader type player, Kranjcar is too quiet/shy

·
Registered
69,374 Posts
Also, the rumor going around is that when Niko is done with playing at the club stage the HNS will hire him as a scout, that is scouting diaspora players :D and he will work on getting a coaching license

·
Registered
14,050 Posts
You mean he is really quitting this time? He's not going to be coming back to save the day once again? I would have thought his experience would be invaluable to us at this stage of qualifying considering our position.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
11.06.2003. Tallinn Kvalifikacije za EURO
Estonija - Hrvatska 0:1 (0:1)
Kovač (76')

Croguy,Grba and myself, 3 checkerd shirts in NYC Nevada Smith's...some kid in checkerd shirt saw us and walked in to join us.
We're drinking beers like there is no tomorow/
09:00 am and game starts,awfull game,full of fouls,rain is pouring,but we need them points in order to go to Portugal.
Niko Kovac scores late in the game and saves the day and Croatia.
NIKO,THNX FOR EVERYTHING,BUT ESPECIALLY THANK YOU FOR THAT ONE BECAUSE IT WAS SPECIAL,in Tallin and New York City...

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
I think Pletikosa should be captain....Simunic is too wild and he could very easily lose it at any moment, Srna to me doesn't seem to be a leader type player, Kranjcar is too quiet/shy
Definetely not Simunic, have to agree with you there. I like Plete and all and he would good a good choice temporarily perhaps, but I was never a big fan of a goalkeeper being the skipper :thmbdown:

·
Registered
14,050 Posts
11.06.2003. Tallinn Kvalifikacije za EURO
Estonija - Hrvatska 0:1 (0:1)
Kovač (76')

Croguy,Grba and myself, 3 checkerd shirts in NYC Nevada Smith's...some kid in checkerd shirt saw us and walked in to join us.
We're drinking beers like there is no tomorow/
09:00 am and game starts,awfull game,full of fouls,rain is pouring,but we need them points in order to go to Portugal.
Niko Kovac scores late in the game and saves the day and Croatia.
NIKO,THNX FOR EVERYTHING,BUT ESPECIALLY THANK YOU FOR THAT ONE BECAUSE IT WAS SPECIAL,in Tallin and New York City...
You forgot to mention the outrageous save Pletikosa made in the final minutes of the game.

1 - 20 of 153 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.