Xtratime Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
1st Tier Poster
50,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard that he was rated very highly after winning youth World Cup with Ghana in the beginning of 90s. He was considered the most talented African footballer and was even compared with young Pele. But he never lived up to expetations. I know that he played quite good at Anderlecht, then went to PSV, then to EPL...and in there he dissapeared. Later he has played in almost every continent, in Prtugal, Italy, Argentina, China, Saudi Arabia...

Was he really exceptionally talented new Pele or was he overhyped based on couple of good performances? And why he never lived up to expectations? Was it because of injuries? Or was the pressure too much for him to bear?

·
Registered
416 Posts
Nii Odartey Lamptey's problems started when he sigle handedly lead Ghana to an U-17 gold in the Italia 91 competition. As has been the policy of Ghanaian football administrators he was prematuredly drafted into the 92 Barcelona Olympic games together with Sammy Osei Kuffour.In the same year he was drafted into the Senior National Team. Unnecessary injuries during unnecessary call ups stalled his career. At one time, though one of the youngest in the BStars, he had a burst up with National Team skipper Maestro Abedi Pele over team selections and it didn't endear him to the nation. I guess it was sheer stupidity that he got himself drawn into National team politics which had divided the national team into an Abedi Pele Bloc and Tony Yeboah Bloc.
Conclusion:A reality that some Ghanaians are finding it dificult to face....Lamptey will not be the Pele that was supposed to be ..not even the Lamptey that he was. He is no more in china...i guess he is clubless.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts