Xtratime Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
International
8,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does everybody think of Nigeria's chances? I saw a show that did a little focus on the team with interviews and such. I have to say, they're extremely confident, if they're at all nervous about being in the "group of death" they're not showing it.

I think they talked to at least 2 players, maybe 3 and they all seemed pretty confident, as confident as anybody I've seen so far.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Every Nigerian will tell you that they thing they fear the most from the Super Eagles is complacency...

The draw though not kind is not as bad as many belief. Losing to any of the teams in the group will not be an upset. For us, every single game is a final game. We have a lot of young men on the team, and the veterans have a lot to prove. Most of them want to switch clubs to better clubs, so they are out to show people their worth.

The crucial game is the first one against Argentina

The best player on the team is Jay-Jay and if you think Kanu has bags of skill, JayJay is even tricker than Kanu plus he can shoot from range with accuracy.

Our Strike force of Ogbeche (the guy who was behind Anelka being shipped out of PSG) and Aghahowa are young and extremely talented... they will bring it. Have never shied away from 50-50 balls, and Aghahowa averages a goal a game without even scoring from the penalty spot...

The starting eleven would probably be.

GK-Shoronumu
LB- Babayaro (though a better player Udeze would have been playing had he not been banned for the first match)
CB-Okoronkwo
CB-West
RB-Yobo...our best defender (or Sodje if Sodje plays, Yobo will move to Defensive Midfield)
MF-Lawal (or Opabunmi)
RM-JayJay
DM-Christopher (or Yobo if Yobo does not play right back)
CM-Kanu
FW-Aghahowa
FW-Ogbeche

Formation 4-4-2 (just for the first game against Argentina)

--------------------Shronumu----------------------
Sodje----West-----Okoronkwo------Babayaro
----------------------Yobo----------------------------
------JayJay-----------------------------Lawal------
----------------------Kanu----------------------------
----------Aghahowa--------Ogbeche---------------

·
International
8,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the information. I picked Argentina and Sweden to advance, but only because I'm not familiar enough with Nigeria to make an informed decision on them.

It's good that the players want to prove themselves, I don't know what happened to you guys last time against Denmark. The Danes had a very good team but it just seemed like your boys gave up or something. Nobody expected a 4-1 loss and the way the team was moving around the field, it almost seemed like they had completely lost interest.

Nigeria is more talented than both Sweden and England and hopefully that talent comes together.

·
International
8,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think there's a glitch on the script or something, the front page doesn't register my above reply but it's still there.

·
Registered
85 Posts
IVO, truth be told, we got manhandled by the Danes... Like I said in my earlier post, it all started by our not respecting the Danes... before we knew what was going on, we were 2 goals down. Kanu had a chance early in the first half to pull one back that might have changed the game, he chose to dribble the goalie and Schmicheal showed him why he was a World Class goalie and denied him easily... subsiquently, they went down the field and scored the 3rd and back breaking goal.

A lesson in looking ahead instead of taking care of business at hand. Denmark totally outclassed us. Their tactics and the skills of the Laudrup brothers was just too much.

That is why of all the teams in our group, the Sweden game is the most troublesome... they play a brand of football that we have always had trouble with.

That lesson was well taken. And is one of the reasons that I believe we will surprise our first round opponents... they don't have any tape on us to dissect us like the Danes masterfully did.

·
Registered
7,095 Posts
Nigeria will depend on their speed and skill... great way to play soccer, individual soccer ... unfortunately, that;'s not how we play good football now ....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts