Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
International
6,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Three players have been kicked out of Nigeria's African Cup of Nations squad after alleged indiscipline.
The trio said to be involved are Chelsea's Celestine Babayaro, Portsmouth striker Yakubu Ayegbeni and Schalke 04 star Victor Agali.

They were told to leave the team's base in Monastir, according to Nigerian Football Association general secretary Taiwo Obunjobi.

Nigeria's next Group D game is against South Africa on Saturday.

"They broke camp rules. They were suppose to be in bed after team players last night but they were not," said Obunjobi.

"They only returned to the hotel early this morning.

"We have informed the team through the captain, Austin 'Jay Jay' Okocha, and have received the approval of the sports minister and it was decided that discipline must be maintained and the players involved leave the camp immediately."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/africa/3444977.stm

Shocking! :eek:

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
Shocking to say the least. Three european based stars less in our squad. :( On the other hand, good decision. I mean, the players should learn to be disciplined and take the tournament serious. They are playing for the honour of over 100 million people for god sake. If they don't take the tournament serious they should go.

btw, Babayaro can be replaced by Udeze easily, Agali was a sub so only Yakubu needs to be replaced, but we have Ikedia, so it should not be a problem :)

·
Registered
319 Posts
Good decision, but can the Nigerians call three more players to replace them? If not, they could be in trouble down the road with injuries and suspensions.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Good decision by Chikuwu. He needs to stamp his authority and set an example for other players. Lack of discipline has always cost Nigeria dear in the past, and it's about time something's done about it.

On a side note, anyone know what the trio were up to that late? I've seen Babayaro on the front pages more for his partying then his exploits on the football pitch :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,043 Posts
Asked to come back????

I heared that those three players have been asked to come back. How true is that. I guess they have seen that they really need those guys. More especially Agali. Their striking force is totally useless. Kanu should be benched. Agha is not the player he was in the last tournaments. I hear he was just getting out of an injury.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Re: Asked to come back????

calcio100 said:
Their striking force is totally useless. Kanu should be benched. Agha is not the player he was in the last tournaments. I hear he was just getting out of an injury.
And John Utaka is a joke :tongue:

·
International
6,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

calcio100 said:
I heared that those three players have been asked to come back. How true is that. I guess they have seen that they really need those guys. More especially Agali. Their striking force is totally useless. Kanu should be benched. Agha is not the player he was in the last tournaments. I hear he was just getting out of an injury.
Yes, it's true.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/africa/3460399.stm

Yakubu rejected their invitation:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/africa/3462093.stm

·
Registered
10,421 Posts

calcio100 said:
Our attack is a joke? If you think so, fair enough. Strange thing is though that with our "big stars" Yakubu, Agali (and Babayaro) we lost in a terrible match and that our terrible strikeforce has helped us to win the two next matches.

They misbehaved, they were kicked out, this was good for the team, they should not be recalled, that's it. We need players who make up for a good team, not a bunch of prima donna's :rolleyes:

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Asked to come back????

lucifuga said:
He hasn't impressed me so far.
So after two or three matches in a tournament someone is immediately a joke? I think you should see more about a player before you can brand him as a 'joke'.

·
Registered
14,672 Posts
That Nigeria's attack is the most talented in the whole tournament stands without a doubt. Kanu, Aghahowa, Utaka,... no team can prestent such a force. Still the only one who really made a game turn is Peter Odemwingie. This because he's eager to proove himself. He isn't a big name and knows taht only his perfomance on the pitch will win him a starting place. For what I've seen these performances are really goofd. Don't you think it's better to give someone like that a chance?

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
I say Odemwingie should continue to play. He seems very eager to prove himself, and we need motivated player above all. When you are being expelled from training camp, something must be wrong in your mentality, and we don't need those players.

btw Peter? I thought his name is Osaza?:confused:

·
Registered
943 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Asked to come back????

Prince-O said:
So after two or three matches in a tournament someone is immediately a joke? I think you should see more about a player before you can brand him as a 'joke'.
This year he scored 3 goals in 20 matches in the French League... :rolleyes:
Is that good?

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Asked to come back????

lucifuga said:
This year he scored 3 goals in 20 matches in the French League... :rolleyes:
Is that good?
Dunno, I don't know how Lens plays. Perhaps he is the support striker. Also, the quality of a player does not depend solely on the number of goals he scores.

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
lucifuga said:
What for do you like him?
From what I've seen he is a good player. To be fair, I haven't seen that much of him, but what I've seen was good. I get the impression that you haven't seen that much him as well. Therefore, I think you are being far too harsh on him to judge him like you do. I agree that 3 goals in 20 games or so is not a great figure, but figures don't give me enough reason to judge a player. But of course I can live with it if it is your opinion.

cheers :)

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
For a joke Utaka didn't do to bad today.:strong: :star: :happy: :cool:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts