Xtratime Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Five Live news this morning reported that Nicky Butt has been allowed to leave Man U with a price set at 5 million pounds.

What do you think about this and where do you think he will go?

·
1st Tier Poster
48,609 Posts
It's understandable that player of his class wants first team football.Spurs is said to be interested in signing him, but probably many more clubs will bid for him too as £5M sounds like a good deal.

·
Registered
9,325 Posts
Its sad that a player like Nicky, who was a Man U player through and through, submitted a transfer request. However, I guess it was becoming more and more obvious that Sir Alex didnt have any plans of making Nicky part of the starting line-up anytime in the near future. Nicky is a class player and any team (looks like Newcastle at the moment) who signs him will do good. Good luck to Nicky (if he goes) and thanks for all that he has given to Man U.

·
Registered
15,634 Posts
:( its sad to lose a player who has given united so much, but he doesnt look like he will get a place so he made the right decision by asking to leave the club( but fergie has made a mistake because soon p neville will start playing badly and htere wont be any other player who could do the sitting role)

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
I don't blame him for wanting to leave. He's the player who would be perfect for us, just a shame we don't have near enough money to make an aproach.

·
Registered
167 Posts
He needs first team action if he wants to be part of Erikkson's Euro 2004 plans this summer, so he needs to move NOW. If Spurs have the money, then thats great but if not then I think he would fit in nicely at Newcastle. Just what Newcastle need aswell, a good determined defensive midfielder.

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
What a pity for player like Nicky to leave...How P. Neville can start instead of him is really questionable(even thou i like him:D)....Nicky have gave alot to Man Utd....and the best thing man Utd can do is to sell him off asap so that he will start playing first-team football and also fight for a place in EURO 2004...

Forza Nicky...

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Spurs in Butt chase

By Danny Griffiths
Date: 13/1/2004

TOTTENHAM are ready to enter the chase to land unsettled manchester United and England midfielder Nicky Butt. The 29-year-old has...

Your Location: Home > Latest News

Spurs in Butt chase
By Danny Griffiths for THEspursweb.com

TOTTENHAM are ready to enter the chase to land unsettled manchester United and England midfielder Nicky Butt.

The 29-year-old has handed in a transfer request after being unable to command a regular place in the side at Old Trafford.

Acting Spurs boss David Pleat has denied he is interested in Leicester's Muzzy Izzet and has revealed he was close to borrowing Edgar Davids from Juventus before the Dutch international moved to Barcelona.

But if they does go for Butt it seems strange Spurs will ask to land him on loan rather spend a bargain £5million on a player of real quality.

Pleat told Adrian Curtis in the Evening Standard: "We are not interested in Izzet. I am quite happy with the midfield apart from the possible addition of someone with leadership type qualities.

"We are looking at the possibility of bringing someone in like that on loan. This is likely to be a Premiership player who has been displaced from the first team.

"I had been working on the Davids deal for three weeks and we were as close as we could be to getting him. This was not a flyer, this was a genuine attempt to land a player of his quality on loan.

"Juventus did not want him to go to another Italian club and were quite happy to push the deal our way. I devoted a lot of time to trying to get the player. It was, in the end, the Dutch connection at Barcelona which settled things."

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Ranieri's keen on Butt

anieri's keen on Butt

CHELSEA boss Claudio Ranieri has hinted that he could make a move for Manchester United’s wantaway midfielder Nicky Butt.

Butt is keen to leave Old Trafford having seen his hopes of earning a starting role for England in Euro 2004 hit by his lack of first team starts for United this season.

And Ranieri could offer the midfielder an attractive offer at a club still involved in the Champions League, FA Cup and Premiership title race.

With Juan Veron still some way off a first team return and Emmanuel Petit injured, Ranieri has found himself overly reliant on Frank Lampard and Claude Makelele this season and is keen to sign midfield cover.

And having had an approach for Charlton’s Scott Parker rebutted he could prepare a bid for the 28-year-old.

"Butt? Why not?” Ranieri pondered on Sky Sports News.

"He is not so young but a good, good player. But I don't know.

Wanting to play

"He said he's leaving Manchester because he doesn't play with consistency and, at Chelsea, there are a lot of players.

"I'm not surprised by this. He wants to leave and there were other players like (Claude) Makelele and (Adrian) Mutu, who wanted to come to Chelsea and leave their club. That is normal.

"The players want to play. I understand that and said the same to my players - try to go together this season then, at the end of the season, if they say they suffer too much then it's okay.

"We are looking always for good players. We don't need anybody, we have 21 players, but I want to look around England and other countries to see if there are some good players.”

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Butt swap unlikely

Manchester United will not enter into any swap deals for transfer-listed midfielder Nicky Butt.

The 28-year-old England star had his request for a move granted by Sir Alex Ferguson this week after Butt became increasingly frustrated at his lack of first-team opportunities.

The Gorton-born midfielder knows his needs regular match action to keep his place in Sven-Goran Eriksson's England squad for this summer's European Championships and, after a decade of loyal service, now accepts his time with the Red Devils is coming to an end.

It has been suggestion Butt could head to Middlesbrough in a deal which would see Gareth Southgate moving in the other direction. However, thit is understood that Old Trafford officials will not countenance such a deal.

With an improved bid for Fulham's Louis Saha likely at some stage before the transfer window closes at the end of the month, United are anxious to raise hard cash, meaning Butt will not be allowed to go out on loan either.

Newcastle, Everton and Birmingham are also believed to be interested in securing the services of a player who has won six Premiership titles, an FA Cup and a Champions League winners' medal during his time at Old Trafford.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Its understandable he wants to leave. Nicky Butt would be perfect for us, he's exactly what we need, hopefully Bob and Shepherd don't let this opportunity slip. There's no doubt that there will be a fair few clubs wanting to sign him.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
No ifs or Butts - Nicky staying up north

By Danny Griffiths
Date: 14/1/2004

NICKY BUTT is set to turn down a move to Tottenham because he wants to stay in the north. Spurs have bid £5million for the Manchester...

Your Location: Home > Latest News

No ifs or Butts - Nicky staying up north
By Danny Griffiths for THEspursweb.com

NICKY BUTT is set to turn down a move to Tottenham because he wants to stay in the north.

Spurs have bid £5million for the Manchester United and England midfielder but the 29-year-old does not fancy a move to London.

His other half is expecting a baby and he would rather remain staying close to his roots - even though he is reputed to be considering a switch to Middlesbrough.

That would reunite him with former Old Trafford assistant manager Steve McClaren and the Teessiders could use Gareth Southgate as bait in any deal.

Newcastle and Everton are also interested in the combative midfielder.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Keane sings praises of Butt

Manchester United captain Roy Keane believes that wantaway midfielder Nicky Butt will only leave Old Trafford for the right move and he believes that the England international is one of the best players in the country.

A number of Premiership clubs including Middlesbrough, Newcastle, Birmingham Tottenham and Blackburn have been linked with the England international after he had a transfer request accepted earlier this week.

Keane understood Butt's decision to leave and he has described him as one of the best midfielders in England.

"I still regard Nicky as one of the best midfielders in England," Keane told MUTV.

"Apart from being a very good player, he is also excellent in the dressing room, which is so important.

"I am sure there will be plenty of clubs interested in him and hopefully he will get the right move.

"However, unless the right club comes in for him, I don't think he will leave.

"I understand where he is coming from. Nicky is 28 now and he needs to be playing, especially with the European Championships coming up.

"I don't think this is a knee-jerk reaction, he has probably been thinking about it for a while because he has not played many games this season.

"He has been a great servant to Manchester United and if he doesn't get the move he is looking for, I'm sure he will be happy to keeping plugging away here."

·
HEY, WHA' HAPPENED?
24,083 Posts
"Ranieri's keen on Butt"

Sorry, but I couldn't resist pointing that one out:D

Anyway, wee Nicky's a good player, would do well at pretty much every club in the EPL, except Arse & Chelsea really. Though if Makalele keeps on whinging about the EPL being too hard then maybe Butt would do the job for them?

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
Oh no, Not Butt.He should go to Newcastle, although i can see him breaking up the Hamann-Gerrard central midfield pairing hey ! I hope he stays at old toilet and doesnt play another game for the rest of the season in the hope Sven doesnt pick him.

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
It's sad to see him go but i can understand it. He's an excellent player and deserves more first team football. I wish him every success in the future.!

·
Registered
9,325 Posts
"Plenty of interest in Butt" - Sir Alex

Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson has reported 'plenty of interest' in want-away midfielder Nicky Butt.

Ferguson reluctantly accepted Butt's transfer request earlier this week after the England star's frustrations at failing to hold down a regular first-team berth this season finally boiled over.

Middlesbrough, Tottenham, Birmingham, Newcastle and Everton have all been linked with the £5million-rated 28-year-old who has started just one Barclaycard Premiership game since the beginning of November.

Ferguson has always claimed he receives more telephone calls about Butt's availability than any other player on his staff and he revealed the phone has been ringing regularly this week now clubs know the Gorton-born player is genuinely available.

'There has been plenty of interest,' said the United boss.

'It is not my job to say which clubs have phoned us. Some like to give the information out; others don't. But there have been quite a few inquiries.'

Ferguson does not believe Butt's departure is inevitable and, like captain Roy Keane, feels the combative Mancunian should wait until the right offer comes along.

However, after receiving such loyal and unstinting service from Butt down the years and with his place at this summer's European Championships at risk, the manager does understand the player's predicament.

'Nicky Butt has been a fantastic servant to me and the club,' said Ferguson.

'He was the first one to break into the senior squad from the famous youth team, and this is probably not something he really wanted to do.

'He is frustrated because he is not getting a regular game. But it is a situation we can't do anything about, Phil Neville has come into the side this season and been excellent.'

soccernet.com

1 - 18 of 18 Posts