Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks.
We usually know the clubs by their names, such as Juventus, Real Madrid, AC Milan, & so on.

Sometimes we also refer to them as "Merengues" (Real), "Giallorossi" (Roma), "Gunners" (Arsenal) etc.

If you know of any nicknames of clubs, do write it down here. Would be great if you could provide a short explanation of how this nickname came about, &/or what it means.

Have fun! :)

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Jun-Lei said:
"Giallorossi" (Roma)
I always thought their nickname was "gli stronzi". :D
There is only one team who are the REAL Giallorossi and that is Messina! :strong:

·
Registered
8,947 Posts
Another clubs that I know about thei nicknames are Lazio (Biancocelesti), Juventus (Bianconerri), Internazionale Milan FC (Nerrizurri), Manchester United (Red Devil), Valencia CF (Che ?), Deportivo de la Coruna (Super Depor).

Actually Juventus has another nicknames "La Vecchia Signora"
which can be translated as "big madam" or what.

Hmm, I am not sure about this one, but occasionally people tends to call Leeds United as "Young Guns".

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,478 Posts
Leon (Mexico) Panzas Verdes = Green Bellies !!!!
ColoColo (Chile) Albos=White Ones Cacique=Indian Chief El Eterno Campeon+Eternal Champs
Universidad de Chile (Chile) Chunchos= Owls
America (Mex) Aguilas= Eagles

;)

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Brazilian Nicknames - Part 1

Well, here go some of Brazil's club nicknames...

Botafogo - O Glorioso (The Glorious); Cachorrada (Dog Pack, because in the '50s we had a real dog as the team's mascot)
Atletico Mineiro - Galo (Rooster)
Cruzeiro - Raposa (Fox)
Vasco da Gama - Bacalhau (Codfish - because the club was founded by the Portuguese colony)
Flamengo - Urubu (Vulture - IMO an awesome "know thyself" self-awareness thing, but it's probably some other reason :D )

There are others - particularly São Paulo nicknames - but I'll let Ze da Fiel have the pleasure of explaining these. Who would be better qualified to translate "Coringão"? ;)

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not sure about that, Il Toro, :D But well, anything goes!

La Vecchia Signora means "The Old Lady". Don't know why JUVE has such a nickname, though.

Some others:
Inter: Nerazzurri
Parma: Gialloblu (I think)
Fiorentina: Viola
Liverpool: Reds

·
94,478 Posts
more nicks

Universidad Catolica (Chile) Cruzados=The Crossed Ones
UNAM (Mx) Pumas=Pumas :howler:
Peñarol (Uruguay) Carboneros=Ore/Charcoal Miners
Morelia (Mex) Monarcas=Monarch butterflies

;)

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Manure = Red Devils
Chelsea = Blues
Ipswich Town = Tractor Boys
Charlton = Addicks
Everton = Toffees
Arsenal = Gunners
Derby = Rams
Tottenham = Spurs
Coventry = Sky Blues
Gillingham = Gills

Lazio = Blanco-celeste

That's all I can remember for now :D

·
94,478 Posts
Cobreloa (Chile) Zorros del Desierto= Desert Foxes
Mineros=Miners

Deportes Concepcion (Chile) Lilas= Violet, the color of their Jerseys.
Coquimbo Unido (Chile) Los Piratas=The Pirates

;)

·
Canonized
37,734 Posts
Ok Garrincha;)

CORINTHIANS= Mosqueteiro (official)= musketeers; Coringao= Big Joker or big Corinthians ; TIMAO = Great Team

And of the supporters is FIEL = The Loyal or Gaviao mainly because of the biggest and most famous faction which i'm a member Gavioes da Fiel , which is a Hawk.

SAO PAULO - Tricolor , mailny cause of the 3 colors they have.
fans of other clubs call them "Po de arroz" (rice powder) or Bicharada (gays) mainly because thre fans are mainly from upper class.

PALMEIRAS:yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :nasty: = Palestra = mainly cause the club used to be called Palestra Italia but had to change it's name during the war. Also known as PORCADA = PIGS in the 50's after Corinthians fans put this nickname after an incident when a Corinthians player died and the only club not to allow the club to put another player in its place was Palmeiras...so they were labelled the piggies. In 86 due to an immense inferiority complex they started chanting PORCO = pig in the stands, assuming there role as scums;)

SANTOS = PEIXE = fish. Well if you look at Santos's mascot you probably think it is a whale instead of a fish, but go and figure out. Other fans also call them VIUVAS DO PELE (Pele's widow's) or BALEIA AIDETICA (Aidetic Whale, in reference to the city being the one in the country that has most AIDS cases) and some other ones that i cannot think of right now!:D

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
We call Galatasaray "cimbom" in turkey..it doesnt have a meaning, really..:) also the symbol of the club is "aslanlar" which means lions...so the gala lions;)

·
Registered
9,134 Posts
Fenerbahce is known as the Canaries

Besiktas is known as the dark eagles (kara kartal).

:)

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Note: Manchester United and Belgium are both named The Red Devils. So who is the true bearer of the name???:confused: :D :tongue:

·
94,478 Posts
Deportivo Olmedo/Ecuador El Ciclon: The Cyclone ;)

·
94,478 Posts
leeds_utd_lad said:
Note: Manchester United and Belgium are both named The Red Devils. So who is the true bearer of the name???:confused: :D :tongue:
Oh Well....please take note to the fact that America de Cali (Colombia) has in their insignia a red devil with a fork over the flames...their nickname also the Red Devils ...Los Diablos Rojos del America de Cali !!! :howler:

Noflames on this one but look : http://212.187.180.108/colombia/america/www/imgDB/6E1653F8-E11E-11D4-965E00D0B765DA89.jpg ;)

·
6,645 Posts
Fiorentina: Il Viola

·
Fuoriclasse
13,912 Posts
Perugia > gli griffoni
Anderlecht > les Mauves
Standard de Liège > les Standardmen
La Louvière > les Loups
Club Bruges > Blauw & Zwart
Nantes > les Canaris

·
Flop
5,498 Posts
Lazio - Aquilotti (Eagle's Pet). Lazio chose the Eagle as a symbol for the club after the Roman Empire and thereby the nickname.

Inter - La Beneamata (the Beloved), Il Biscione (the Big Snake)

roma - I Lupi (the wolves). The wolf is another roman symbol

Torino - Il Toro (the Bull)

Venezia - La Lagunari

Brescia - Rondinelle

1 - 20 of 42 Posts