Xtratime Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nick Barmby insists he has no intention of quitting Anfield and will battle to force his way back into the first team.

The Liverpool midfielder has dismissed growing speculation linking him with moves to Tottenham and Manchester City.

And the 28-year-old Barmby also says he hasn't given up hope of adding to his total of 23 England caps.

He declared: "One paper says that I've accepted I'm leaving, which I find bizarre. I'm working hard, I'm focused on getting back in the first-team and I'm concentrating on training.

"It's hard because the lads have done well. It's difficult but I'm doing what I can and that's all I can do.

"There's an awful lot of people saying they know an awful lot of things about myself which, in truth, they obviously don't. I'm at Liverpool, I'm enjoying my time at Liverpool and all I'm concentrating on is working hard and getting back in the team.

"To play again for England would be brilliant. I enjoyed playing for England and I've proved I have I can play at that level. But I'm just concentrating on my club situation at the minute and trying to get my head down."

Despite Barmby's commitment to Merseyside, talk of an imminent switch refuses to die down. His name has today (Thursday) been mentioned in connection with a Liverpool player-plus-cash bid for England starlet Michael Carrick.

The West Ham midfielder has attracted attention from Newcastle and seems to fit the bill for the Anfield club too, though any deal would seem doomed to fail as Barmby wants to stay in the north of England.

The former Everton midfielder has made just three substitute appearances since recovering from an ankle ligament injury he sustained in October. He completed his controversially £6million Stanley Park switch two years ago.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I'd love Barmby to stay, I'm a big fan of his. The thing I like about him is that he always gives his all, game in, game out and even if he has a quiet game I'll know he's given 100%. Also there's the small matter of his football, which is energetic and lively, his goals are also a bonus. If Vladimir, Berger and Diomede go I won't mind, but if Barmby goes I'll be very disappointed. I wish him luck for getting in the Liverpool and England teams next season.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I won't exchange him for carrick...carrick is a brilliant up and coming lad but Barmby has seen and done the lot...

I have said this and will say it again - Barmby is a fantastic player and will always score goals ..Doubters have just got to get themsleves a copy of last seasons treble DVD to see how good Barmby is..

One Nicky Barmby ..theres only one Nicky Barmby..............

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
B*O*S*H* said:

One Nicky Barmby ..theres only one Nicky Barmby..............
Doesn't he look like Sammy Lee???

:)

·
Registered
516 Posts
I think Barmbys a really talented player. Hes more consistent and more of a threat that Smicer and Berger. He can play across the midfield as well and thats a big bonus. I hope he stays but GL has to give him a chance.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think Barmby will get his chance next season. He was injured for most of the season and the team was playing well so it was a bit hard for him to get back into the first team.

Redknapp and Macca will not play for Liverpool next season, so Barmby will be back.

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
Hi everyone..

Well I'm one who adds my voice to those wanting Barmby to stay.. I was watching the Treble tape last night (have to freshen up the memory from time to time :)) and he was simply excellent.. some goals that come to mind were the ones against Everton :), Leeds (in the FA Cup) and the ones in the UEFA Cup run.. :)

I think if he gets fully fit.. he'll be back to his best and would add a dimension we sorely need in that area :D

Get back soon Nicky :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts