Xtratime Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
I'm not having a go at Arsenal imparticular but does anyone else get fed up with all these news stadiums which look absolutely identical? They haven't finished Ashburton Grove yet so hopefully they have planned some unique features, but so many recent stadiums look horrible and identical.

I suppose clubs just try and make the stadium as cheap to make as possible.

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
Nuick said:
cheap to make? it may look like Benfica's stadium from pics, but wait til you visit, this stadium will drip class, it is like five star interiors throughout.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Jern Lizardhous said:
cheap to make? it may look like Benfica's stadium from pics, but wait til you visit, this stadium will drip class, it is like five star interiors throughout.
Totally missed my point. I meant teams generally reduce costs by comprimising the look of the stadium. That's why you get so many identikit stadiums.

·
63,337 Posts
Nuick said:
Totally missed my point. I meant teams generally reduce costs by comprimising the look of the stadium. That's why you get so many identikit stadiums.
I didn't miss the point, you said reduce costs which is mental seeing as how much it is costing, it may reduce time building as they have done it all before.

I think you should wait til you visit before you say that it looks identical to other stadiums.

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
Its architecture.

In the twenties / thirties all stadiums were built the same and looked the same. Desinged by the Scot Archibald ?

When clibs started in the 70s and 80s to redevelop stands, they were all the same , Spurs and Notts Forest.

Now the design is the design for the 21st Century.

Where all the stadiums differ is the inside and come August / September there will reviews galore of how brilliant the Emirates Stadium is.

Arsenal go for quality.

When teams build whole stadiums for £25M - £30M, we spent £12M onthe North Bank.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I wasn't actually specifically talking about Ashburton Grove:

Nuick said:
They haven't finished Ashburton Grove yet so hopefully they have planned some unique features, but so many recent stadiums look horrible and identical.

·
63,337 Posts
look at Bayerns ground, that's different but to me it's a bit of an eyesaw, i suppose it all depends if you want to take a chance but the Arsenal are conservative and certainly wouldn't do anything space age ir weird.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Yeah I don't like Bayerns. But I don't really like the Reebok, St. Mary's or the Riverside either. It's difficult to tell exactly what Ashburton Grove will look like at the moment, but it'll be difficult to get another stadium with as much chraracter and style as Highbury.

·
Registered
14,806 Posts
Nuick said:
I'm not having a go at Arsenal imparticular but does anyone else get fed up with all these news stadiums which look absolutely identical? They haven't finished Ashburton Grove yet so hopefully they have planned some unique features, but so many recent stadiums look horrible and identical.

Well it's not really about that, it's about getting as many fans seated around a pitch in the space you have. It's the best design there is to do the job. I get your point about how they are same-ish but it's not something that bothers me - and I thought I was a bit of a traditionalist too, maybe not.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts