Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
33,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here finished Need For Speed: Underground?

Slowly but surely I am working my way through it, and have just reached the 84th or 85th race. Though in stock configuration the Miata is supposed to be only the 15th best car out of 20, according to the Prima guide, with the modifications it always seems to have the best combination of acceleration, top speed, and handling. I tried the Eclipse for a short while, but after the next round of performance mods the Miata turned out to be the best car again. Finally, I've unlocked the Skyline, but the Miata has turned out to be better even that that, with slightly better acceleration and handling. Everywhere I read that the Skyline is supposed to be the best car in the game, and I am sure it is in stock form, but how does it match up with all performance mods? I've only got the last few Level 3 mods to unlock, and I am not so sure they'll be enough to push the Skyline ahead of the Miata.

·
Registered
33,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
What a difference a few mods can make. I did a few races very quickly, and got my hands on the Level 3 Group C mods and now have all performance mods on the car. With everything installed, I went back to the Skyline, and it turned out to have slightly better acceleration and handling. When I started driving it, however, it seemed like the handling was quite a bit better than the Miata with Level 3 Group A & B, and substantially better than the Skyline with only the Level 3 Group A mods installed. I also got the final unique upgrade from TJ, and went with the tires. Maybe I should have gone with the weight reduction or turbo to increase the acceleration a bit more instead of the handling, but its too late for that. According to the guide, I'm only missing the Level 3 rear bumper and the special wide body kit, and then the car will be complete.

·
Registered
7,770 Posts
I played it for quite a while (I'm at race 105 or smt) but after some time problems and other games, I didn't play it anymore. Those races with 7 laps are pretty de-motivating when you get beaten in the last lap over and over :eek:

At first I had the Civic, then I went for another car (I can't quite remember which one, it was a long sporty coupe), after that one I had the Celica, one of the best looking cars in the game. I only hated the fact I blew up the engine at the dragraces if I used the full NOS-shot in 6th (maybe 5th) gear. I had a Supra for a while but I didn’t like it so I went back to the Celica. And at the end I ofcourse had the Skyline. It looks quite shitty but hey, it’s about the speed :)

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
I finished it in a week or something cause my exams were coming.

I started with Celica. But when both Eclipse and Miata were available, I always picked Eclipse. There was something I couldn't stand with the Miata's handling. After that I got the Skyline and finished the game with it.

Sometimes it really got depressing. Especially when you're 1st at the last lap and a phucking van or something comes in front of you from nowhere, and BAM, you're gone.

Miata with any modification still doesn't come close to the Skyline. Are you serious? Or biased? ;)

The widebody was pimp.

When you take the truns with e-brakes the computer cars pass you like wind. :rollani: The only unreal part of the game.

·
Registered
33,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I am serous about the Miata. As the mods starting going on the car, it always had the best handling and a very good combination of acceleration and top speed. Sometimes the other cars had better acceleration or better top speed, but they were never as good overall as the Miata. That changed briefly when I unlocked the Eclipse, but once I unlocked more performance upgrades then the Miata became the better car again. Initially, the Skyline had better top speed, but worse acceleration and handling. It wasn't until all of the performance mods had been unlocked and installed that the Skyline was the best car. Maybe I installed the unique performance upgrades just right to make the Miata so good, but it was really the best car throughout the Underground mode until all the performance mods became available. I actually received a rebate when I first bought the Skyline, and then had to pay extra to get the Miata back.

I found this to be disappointing, because it made the other cars surplus requirement to the game. There is a clear difference between all the cars in stock configuration, but once you start modding them they become rather equal. It even says in the guide that near the end of the game it doesn't make much of a difference which car you pick, because they are all close in performance. It was all a bit strange, not only because I never rated the Miata that highly, but also because it took some of the joy out of unlocking new cars.

There are several ways the game tries to slow you or give advantage to the AI that I find annoying. First there is the fact that the AI can drift through corners at unbelievable speeds (not to mention that it is unrealistic that the brakes become useless later in the game and you need to use the e-brake almost all the time instead), and even in Easy mode the AI cars can snake through the heaviest traffic with relative easy (though they're supposed to have difficulties avoiding traffic in Easy mode). Then there is the way the game likes to spawn traffic in the middle of blind corners when you're ahead, and the way small brushes with the wall or small bumps in the road can send you flipping end over end. And like Kluivert, I have been in the lead many times only to have something small stop me (like yesterday in a Stadium race, where I led al race, and then slightly touched a guard rail a few methers away from the finish to avoid a truck, and the car stopped completely) or to have the AI make up a 5 second gap because I slowed a bit.

·
Registered
33,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I finished Underground mode yesterday. The last few races were actually a breeze, but the final race against Melissa was probably the hardest of them all. On the attempt where I finally won, I put her into the wall several times, setting her back up to 10 seconds, but with the computer setting the catch up mode to full blast, she was with me again very soon. I had a 5 second lead going into the final turn, but despite barely slowing down and then using all my nitro on the straight, she finished behind me by only 0.7 seconds. During one of my many attempts, she was slightly in front of me going through the turn approaching the bridge, and I gave it a full blast nitro. I hit about 180 mph just as we were about to go up the ramp, but she just keep pulling away from me as if I were standing still, so the AI was in über mode apparently. ;)

Thanks for the link, Rafo. Looks like interesting reading. :)

·
Registered
33,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good question. Maybe I'll try to get my drift score as high as those in the thread you provided, or try to break the track records, or just do a couple of races here and there against the AI. It's kind of stupid that Underground mode is locked again after you complete it, and that you cannot play through it again with all the cars and mods unlocked.

I did use manual transmission a few times in circuit, but since I am using a Logitech wheel, it sometimes got too much trying to steer, shift, and work the e-brake and nitro at the same time.

·
Registered
33,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The lack of the usual cars nearly kept me from getting the game, but I understand that EA is trying to cash in on the growing street racing scene, and I found the possibility to customize and modify the cars an interesting addition.

Recycling routes in different combinations to create new tracks, like is done in Ridge Racer, also caused me to second-guess the game at first, but I suppose it provides a slightly greater variety than if it were always the same few tracks just mirrored or reversed over and over.

·
Registered
33,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Most I've ever had with one slide was about 25,000, and that's with getting the car very sideways in a long bend and keeping that angle until the car nearly comes to a stop. And the point multipliers need to be up high, of course, which is tough because they fly right out the window every time you hit something and they decrease by one every time you slow too much.

I've never tried manual in drift mode, but it might be easier than in circuit mode, since I can't use the wheel to drift. I simply cannot saw the wheel around fast enough for all the small corrections that need to be made.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts