Xtratime Community banner

What will happen in the 2011 WCC?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The WCC is almost upon us. What do you think will happen? Will Santos win their first WCC, following on the footsteps of Pele's mythical team? Will Barcelona win again, teaching a valuable lesson in humility to Santos' wonderboy? Will we witness another unbelievable outsider surprise like last year's Mazembe? Will Paulo Henrique Ganso show up?

In a related note, check out this cool animated video made in homage of Santos' Libertadores triumph. ;)

L5MscwBg1s8

And in the spirit of equal representation, here's an animated video about the derby between Barcelona and an unknown team whose jerseys are very similar to Santos'. :mute: :D

uGUtpF2n5aM

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
I´m not staying on the fence here I think Neymar will clown Barças defense and Santos wins.

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It occurs to me that I didn't provide a lot of actual information, so here it goes. The 2011 WCC will be held between December 8th and 18th, gathering the champions of six continents. Santos will play the semifinal on December 14th against either Monterrey (from Mexico, Concacaf champs), Auckland (from Australia, Oceania champs) or the Japanese champs (the host nation gets to include their national champs). Barcelona will play on the 15th against either Esperance (from Tunisia, African champs) or Al-Sadd (from Qatar, Asian champs). Alea jacta est!

·
Rei Brasileiro
8,569 Posts
I dont think Neymar will do well against the Barcelona pressure. the defend from front and back with defenders and midfielders sandwiching attackers... Neymar has a lot more room in his normal games- even with the NT you could see him struggle (Copa America) against these kinds of defenses.

I hope Im wrong tho

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Neymar individually is good enough for any team, but I'm not convinced Santos as a team is strong enough to beat Barcelona. Of course, on a single knockout match anything can happen and Santos certainly has a sufficient number of quality players to mount a challenge to the favorites - but Barcelona are the favorites for this clash.

I may be proven wrong and Neymar may end up tearing their backline apart, but if I have to choose my vote goes to the Blaugranas.

·
Administrator
29,392 Posts
The problem is more the middlefield. Ganso is certainly not in best shape and he will be a bit lost in the middlefield. Muricy will certainly try to withdraw the team and use neymar speed, this is an advtange as Barcelona open their marking onwards to recover the ball on middlefield, where they keep a strong pressure. Then you will have Messi against the slow central defense of Barcelona, and, hey, watching Leo running against Messi will be some kind of joke.

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
If Muricy decides to have someone following Messi it won't be Leo... he'd probably use a DM for that, like Adriano.

This guy.

Of course you're right about midfield being the key sector in this match, and Santos will have to be compact in there (and to do that Santos really needs Ganso to rise to the occasion). I expect Neymar to favor the left side in order to keep Daniel Alves from going forward too often, and I expect interesting duels between Arouca and Xavi.

·
Bernard > Messi
2,687 Posts
neymar, individually, would TOY WITH BARÇA'S SHITTY DEFENDERS. They suck. Daniel Alves would PRAY TO GOD TO GIVE HIM A DIARRHEA SO THEN HE WOULDN'T NEED TO DEFEND AGAINST NEYMAR.

That's a ****ing fact. Barcelona sucks in the defensive line.

But their midfield is too good. THey'll control the ball and wont let neymar have space to exploit barça's shitty defenders.

So... Barça 6-1... 'cause santos' defense sucks beyond imagination. they suck so much that it's not even funny. Santos' is like a much much much poorer version of Barça in the sense that they won despite having terrible defenders, but against barça the midfield will control the game and santos' d will be exploited easily.

·
The one who was Bella
20,196 Posts
If Muricy decides to have someone following Messi it won't be Leo... he'd probably use a DM for that, like Adriano.

This guy.
Thats indeed the plan, but Adriano got injured the other game and is out for 4 months.. poor guy, must feel devestated.

Pretty big blow, as he's the best marker on the team.. Henrique and Arouca are not close to his level in terms of marking and being the man for speciel assignments.

·
Administrator
29,392 Posts
ah, c'mom, Henrique is good DM enough for this, Danilo can help a lot there, they have Arouca. They just need to let leo in the bench.

·
The one who was Bella
20,196 Posts
Not in terms of marking and being a pest trying to shut down an opponents Jcam.

Adriano in that department is well above both and anyone else on the team.. Henrique and Arouca are more ball playing guys with great lungs etc and have other things working for them that make them better DMs overall them Adriano, but in terms of individual marking they're not that good and not nearly as good.

We've seen this throughout the Libertadores, thats his specielty

·
Honourable Mention, October 2011 Photo Contest
18,041 Posts
Is like in the hood, intensity and force Barca to abuse playing with their weaker (that doesn't mean bad) assets, o sea que la agarre el tronco que se marca solo..examples, letting Mascherano take the ball from the back instead of Pique, etc...

"Letting" Barca play more with Pedro/Villa and aisolate Messi to make him touch the ball the less possible, to the point of making him feel bore and loose concentration (Estudiantes did that and made Barca abuse of Henry, Inter did that, is the best way to deal with el enano).

Sometimes the assets of a team are the ones that give the key to open the door of their castle...in Barca's case, to transform their patience into a letargic approach, to trasnform style, in an abuse of that style...exchange of punches also might work, but would be like praying that Barca will finish really bad the chances they'll get.

Malice can work agaisnt them and even the same aproach of holding the ball, but since I'm reading here that the midefield is playing belaw par, maybe that lack of of possession can be replaced with intensity and tipical brazilian counters.

·
Administrator
29,392 Posts
Another thing, La Liga teams are spectadors. They abuse of sitting back and watching "Oh, Messi. Oh, Cristiano Ronaldo!". The cynical small fouls to kill games allmost do not exist like there.

·
Honourable Mention, October 2011 Photo Contest
18,041 Posts
Another thing, La Liga teams are spectadors. They abuse of sitting back and watching "Oh, Messi. Oh, Cristiano Ronaldo!". The cynical small fouls to kill games allmost do not exist like there.
Nah that is quite bollocks J, there is a lot of pressing, crowded areas, etc...would depend on the team involved. BUT there is indeed a lack of tactical/wise fouls, they seem to break a fella in two, or do nothing. Many times they lack a certain malice Santos can pull out.

·
Administrator
29,392 Posts
They, specially smaller team when they see the superiority of the two big - specially those days they are really superior, seems to be happy to lose if they keep their positioning. They almost make a line begging messi and cristiano to split it and really... the defenders are really in this word: physical combat never, unless it is to foul... very british.

·
Bernard > Messi
2,687 Posts
neymar, individually, would TOY WITH BARÇA'S SHITTY DEFENDERS. They suck. Daniel Alves would PRAY TO GOD TO GIVE HIM A DIARRHEA SO THEN HE WOULDN'T NEED TO DEFEND AGAINST NEYMAR.

That's a ****ing fact. Barcelona sucks in the defensive line.

But their midfield is too good. THey'll control the ball and wont let neymar have space to exploit barça's shitty defenders.

So... Barça 6-1... 'cause santos' defense sucks beyond imagination. they suck so much that it's not even funny. Santos' is like a much much much poorer version of Barça in the sense that they won despite having terrible defenders, but against barça the midfield will control the game and santos' d will be exploited easily.
this badass mother****er knows what he talks about. :smileani:

·
XT's Demi-God
8,662 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts