Xtratime Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who do you think should be Barca's left back next season?

Should the management try to sign Van Bronckhorst on a permanent deal, or should they try to bring some fresh blood into the team?

I don't think that vB is good enough for Barca, so I hope they don't sign him in the summer.

I hope that they bring in a spanish player for this posistion, with much La Liga experience. Juanfran could perhaps be a choice, Aranzabal another, but they are not the youngest players around anymore. It was too bad that del Horno signed a new deal with Athletic, but that was expected.

If Barca weren't to find a new replacement in Spain, then I think that they should try to go for Patrice Evra of Monaco. A great full-back with good runs down the flank, just what Barca needs. He's become more experienced as well after leaving Nice for Monaco. Zambrotta is another good alternative, but I think that it's unlikely that Barca get him. It is important that Barca gets a player with good offensive qualities, as we don't play with a left winger, but Ronaldinho in a free role up there.

What do you think?

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
your left-back is probably the only weak point among the regular lineup. it is always encouraged to give young guys chance. oleguer and oscar lopez can have a try as right and left backs respectively since their good performance in substitution.

·
Registered
69 Posts
bronkhorst isnt good enough to be our left back and take us back to where we belong..
I like Bilbao's left back (forgot his name tho)
Currently u cant find alot of good left backs in worldfootball
i see no worldclass left back Except for Roberto Carlos and Ashley Cole which are nearly impossible to hire
so why shouldnt we try to get Bilbao left back? or bring Navarro back? (how is he doing in albacete btw?)
or maybe any of our catalan friends can tell us we had a promising left back in our youth acedemy?

·
Registered
7,880 Posts
Good leftbacks are few and far between. Like the goalkeeping position since Sergi was prime weve struggled in this position. Maybe we can again find the answer in the cantera although I feel that it will more likely be in Pena than Navarro now as the latter doesnt look the same after his injury. He hasnt played yet for Albacete btw.

Going out to buy there can only be 2 names IMO, Evra and Zambrotta who weve both been linked with. Personally Zambrotta is pushing Carlos hard as the best leftback around and although it seems very unlikely I would try this as hard as possible without pushing through a swap. I think were 4 players away from CL winning quality but this summer I would be very happy if we could sign two like Zambrotta and Shevchenko for instance. Definately La liga challenging quality and then the right back and right midfield would be sorted the season after with Daniel after becoming EU national and Quaresma if hes good enough or an alternative. Of course this is never going to happen.

If he doesnt come then Evra would be a very good alternative, pacy, strong in the tackle and loves to get forward. Only problem ive seen with him is he tends to be caught out of position.

Btw to who said Ashley Cole, i dont rate him personally but he might not be as difficult as you suspect. There younster Clichy will take over from him soon and looks like he will be the future france leftback, pure class. With that in mind Ashley will find it hard to find first team football.

·
Registered
69,728 Posts
FCBarcelona said:

I like Bilbao's left back (forgot his name tho)
Del Horno renewed the contract some weeks ago with his club, so it wouldn´t be very intelligent to buy him now, cause he would be free in June before that.

D

·
0 Posts
Who called Ashley Cole world class?? hang your head in shame. Defensively awful, produces nothing attack, pace and nothing else.

If you want a left back from England, Frank Quedrue of Middlesbrough is your man. He's the best LB in England by a distance, and he's easily France's best left back. Great defender, brilliant in attack, excellent shot from dead ball situations AND open play. One of the best and most under-rated left backs in the world. And he wouldn't cost much more than £5million.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yes mate
Quedrue is a great option
ive always liked the lad but i forgot about him the first post
i think he is underrated because he only plays in Boro and yes he wouldnt cost alot
about ashley cole: i agree i overrated him by calling him "worldclass"
he is still a good left back,,good fighting spirit and doesnt give up easily,his attacking aint good enough but still he is solid at the back..but you are right Quedrue would be a better option

Maz: Clichy isnt as good as u said,not because he played a great match vs chelsea this makes him pure class,ive watched him in other games vs Birmingham,Bolton he wasnt good enough,not good passing and not good in crossing
and no he will never take ashley cole's place
cause ashley is simply England's national team starter
probably Clichy is the one who is gonna be sold

if u want clichy,he will be easy to get

1 - 11 of 11 Posts