Xtratime Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
XT Oldie
8,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who should it be? I am officially a Coelho fan now (hard to believe ;))

Here is a prelim list:

Queiroz
Machado
Fernando Santos
Antonio Oliveira
Artur Jorge
Toni
Augusto Inacio
Manuel Jose?

or perhaps a foreign coach?
Angel Iordenesku (spelling?)
Bobby Robson (he seems to repect Portugal)
Graeme Souness (TOTAL JOKE :p)
Carlos Alberto Perreira
Zdenek Zemen
Glenn Hoddle (TOTAL JOKE :p)

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
Quieroz - no - hate him - he was a rubbish coach

in fact, any ex-Portugal coaches I would say no to - apart from perhaps Oliveira - but he is happy with his family and I doubt he would come back.

Marco I am surpised u suggested Santos - I don't think he's a great coach - look what he done - he messed up our Championship campaign :) But, no, he is a good coach but not really good like Bobby but the FPF won't get a foreigner believe me u know what their like.

It will probably be someone who used to coach Camacha or something like that.

How about about Paulo Futre as a possible futre coach? (get the pun :) ??).

·
XT Oldie
8,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if we ever got Robson to coach the seleccao...I think I would cry some tears of joy....

S

·
0 Posts
How about that Brazilian coach Luxemburgo? Is he the coach of Brazil or a coach anywhere? Maybe we should go and get a brazilian! They play the same type of style and if we got a good coach it could fit perfect!

J

·
0 Posts
To me TONI would be the man to take the Job... I am suprised u didn't put ALVARO MAGALAES or Even RUI CACADOR

What about Terry Venables

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Luis Figo - Player/Coach :)

·
Registered
964 Posts
How about Johan Cruyf
He would love to coach Figo again
but if it were me i would choose Bobby Robson hes coached in Portugal and knows all our players.

·
XT Oldie
8,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cruyff would be very nice....a little unrealistic....all signs are pointing to either Inacio and Querioz.

L

·
0 Posts
Personally out of the names mentioned I like Carlos Queiroz, and if a foreign coach then I think Bobby Robson is the only choice. However Inacio would be ok too. Another one which I don't think has been mentioned, but would be great is Jaime Pacheco..he seems to have a good rapport witht he players, he has experience both playing and coaching, and he's had success at the teams he's coached...finished third with Guimaraes and took Boavista to the Champions League, not too shabby.

·
International
5,629 Posts
It saddens me that Coelho refused to continue coaching...I thought he did a tremendous job with this team...he had them believing in themselves something no one in the past could do...The fact that he resigned I think had something to do with the political process in the FPF and a certain "dor de cotevelo" that some people have in Portugal. As for who coaches next, I think it has to be someone the players respect, like Coelho. Or if the FPF wants to completely shake things up and give up respect, they should hire REDEAGLE. :)

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
At least Queiroz should know the players well, after all he won the youth WC together with most of them. I think Oliveira would also be good, but Artur Jorge is a big fat NO.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I heard that FPF already talked with the players, and they seem to agree that Queiroz's profile was the most preferred.

Does he suck? Everybody (almost) said that Oliveira and Coelho sucked, but I think they both did a good job. It's a hard job. I think Queiroz in't bad, but besides him I like Toni. We don't need a foreign coach. I like Robson, but imagine our team playing that typical British football. Wait for the opponents' mistake and volley the ball to someone on the other side of the field... naaaaa

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
Carlos Quieroz - NO

You seem to forget that this was the man that f***ed up our USA 94 qualifying in what looked like a comfortable group to progress from.

We went to the middle east to do some coaching with the UAE or something and didn't get much joy there.

I hate Queiroz and we won't get to Japan/Korea with him in charge.

Bobby Robson would be great but he is very old and the only national team he would ever manage again is England.

How about Ruud Gullit - he loves our "sexy" football and if he was offered - he would take it. He is unemployed but Holland may offer him the job but I think Van Gaal will get it.

Gullit would make us play our sexy football but his tactical knowledge is limited.

And our racist country wouldn't like a "prieto" in charge anyway which is a shame.

J

·
0 Posts
TACO portugal didn't make USA 94 because of the ref again when we played ITALY & they had ROBERTO BAGGIO miles off-side another moment when THE 'GOVERNING BODY' hates portugal again...

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
first off we are PORTUGAL and lets not forget it so i for one would absolutely hate a foreign coach, I can tolerate foreigners at club level but this is our country and robson not robson's or anyone else's i mean if he had to play england there would be a conflict of interests for starters.
As for me id like quieroz i like him as a coach he semms to be tactically aware but most of all he knows the players very well from his days as youth manager where he won the world cup

1 - 17 of 17 Posts