Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
14,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Luton Town manager Mike Newell has launched a scathing attack on women officials following his team's home defeat against QPR.
Newell was furious that assistant referee Amy Rayner failed to award his side a penalty during the 3-2 loss.

He said: "She shouldn't be here. I know that sounds sexist but I am sexist.

"This is Championship football. This is not park football, so what are women doing here? It is tokenism - for the politically-correct idiots."

Newell was incensed that Rayner and referee Andy D'Urso failed to award his side a spot-kick when QPR defender Marcus Bignot tangled with Carlos Edwards in the penalty box.

"We have a problem in this country with political correctness," added Newell. "And bringing women into the game is not the way to improve refereeing and officialdom.

"It is absolutely beyond belief. When do we reach a stage when all officials are women because then we are in trouble?

"It is bad enough with the incapable referees and linesmen we have but if you start bringing in women, you have big problems."

So... do you think he's right or wrong - or are you a somewhere in between person?

I don't know what the selection process is for making it as a pro lino/ref/c*nt but I wouldn't be at all surprised if in modern britain women were being fast-tracked.

On Mike Newell himself - LOL - tell us what you really feel Mike...

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Well as far as I know sexism isnt against the law like racism is so he can say what he wants, he wont get many female supporters backing him up but in my opinion he is right.

I can be a tad sexist reading this (I hope a certain person doesnt read this :rollani:) as well so I can see where he is coming from.

·
Registered
40,564 Posts
He's definitely right. I love women, the world wouldn't be the same without them..:D, but they should stick to officiating female footie, IMO they have no business at all in male competitions.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
It is a female competition as well but at the end of the day they can stick to their own world cups as far as I am concerned.

Newell has a very good point, the standard of referreing and their sidekicks is getting worse and worse these days, how thats possible with the amount of camera's at games, I dont know.

But in the last 2 seasons at Celtic Park I have been nothing less than shocked at the level of consistent crap I've watched in black and white. I am sure all throughout the UK is the same.

·
Registered
14,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
maradona10 said:
Well as far as I know sexism isnt against the law like racism is
Exactly. The thing I'd like to know is the procedures for selecting and promoting officials. I remember Labour wanting to select more female MP's (candidates) and it was deemed illegal under sexism legislation. Did the same thing happen with the met wanting more ethnic minority officers?

Anyway... I'd be very surprised if some weren't fast-tracked.

·
Registered
21,429 Posts
K®Le said:
He's definitely right. I love women, the world wouldn't be the same without them..:D, but they should stick to officiating female footie, IMO they have no business at all in male competitions.
Or driving cars :)

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
I think hes right :thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,157 Posts
maradona10 said:
But in the last 2 seasons at Celtic Park I have been nothing less than shocked at the level of consistent crap I've watched in black and white. I am sure all throughout the UK is the same.
Yes, that's right. I don't think female linesman or refs can make more crap than their male counterparts.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
UEFA are just trying to be the morally correct party and give equal opportunities to all. They should look at the bigger picture.

I am not saying that female's cant officiate a match, I am sure there is 1 out there somewhere but with all due respect, I am fairly certain that men understand the sport better than women do, so if men who know the sport are incapable of referrreing a match properly then what chance do women have!

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
maradona10 said:
UEFA are just trying to be the morally correct party and give equal opportunities to all. They should look at the bigger picture.
Well equal oppurtunities should be just that - equal. If this female official has had all the same training and passed all the same tests as her male colleagues then let her crack on. If she's been fast tracked just because she's female then that is cleary wrong and indeed sexist against her male counter parts.

·
Registered
14,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
mutu1875 said:
Well equal oppurtunities should be just that - equal. If this female official has had all the same training and passed all the same tests as her male colleagues then let her crack on. If she's been fast tracked just because she's female then that is cleary wrong and indeed sexist against her male counter parts.
And that's the bottom line. Don't know how it's monitored.

·
Registered
7,157 Posts
It's quite sad that Newell is so bitter about that defeat that he has to blame the gender and not the ref/linesman. If he had said that the linesman made a big mistake... who cares. No, that was a mistake by Mr. Newell.

hehe.. well done you R'ss. :)

·
Registered
14,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
...the thing is though you're opening up a can of pc worms - I mean let's say they ban female officials full stop - how long until one has a sex swop to get a flag in their hand?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts