Xtratime Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reports say that Newcastle are after Simao for 11 million hahaha, no chance since we paid 12-15 (depeneding on reports) for him. Its been said we wouldnt sell him for less than 16 mil but Im sure no SLB fan wants tp see our star player sold period.

Nuno Gomes wants to come back to the Luz, he has refused some offers for other teams, the latest Galatassary and if Fio dont pay they debts to players etc in a month, the players will own their passes making it easier for SLB to get Nuno.

FORCA BENFICA!!!

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Benfica have the aspirations , they have the peices for the jigsaw & if they sold Simao it would be for over 20 million Euro's !!!!!
Nuno He needs Portugal. Benfica with Simao , Nuno , ZZ and whoever will be always a offensive force !!!11

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Ah yes! Warm weather, minimal clothing on the she-folk and good old Benfica player trade/buy talk! A true rite of Summer!

Feels good, doesn't it?

Simao isn't going anywhere, barring an otherworldly offer from some giant, which doesn't appear to be forthcoming. Seems as though the skyrocketing transfer fees have plateaued, at least for this season. Good old elasticity of demand talk here at xtratime (the ol' Economics Minor at work there, sorry!).

It really hurts now to realize that we aren't even in the UEFA Cup, because it looks as though we'll have a squad that could have gotten pretty far along.

For what they're worth, my two cents on a myriad of player-related topics:

Nuno Gomes - as expected, all things are pointing to How's My Hair?'s return to the Luz. Nothing should happen officially until the end of July, as the much-publicized go broke date for Fio approaches. As discussed elsewhere on this great forum (the Benfica forum :)), if Viola goes broke, then Nuno's free to sign his own deal (best case for SLB); even if they don't though, they might settle for less of a transfer fee for Nuno as the deadline draws nigh (tell me: what other forum on this board do you read "nigh" in a post? - Reason #458,987 why this is the best forum). As has been reported, he's been quietly declining offers from other clubs in Spain and England and is intent on returning to Lisboa. Truth be told, the seeds of this deal were actually set into motion about two months ago when Nuno was in Lisboa re-habbing his knee with Benfica's medical staff (he swears by them). The whole scenario was spelled out to him: Nuno & Simao playing together, bringing the title back to Benfica, playing together in Europe the following year and being the key tandem for host Portugal's NT at their brand-spanking new pitch.

Mantorras - the ying and the yang of professional sports' economics. To afford keeping Simao and paying/paying for Nuno, they are counting on Mantorras kicking ass the first half of the season to up his value; allowing them to sell him midseason for big $ to any of the big clubs who are in the hunt for a new striker for UEFA or their domestic charges for the 2nd half. His relatively poor performance (in terms of not scoring 30 goals last season) coupled with the fact that the big clubs just aren't spending (case study #1: Alessandro Nesta - Top 3 defenders in the world today and no one's stepping up...last year this time, there'd be 2 or 3 teams lining up to overpay.) means that he's not that tradable right now. Playing alongside a proven veteran who can relieve the pressure (Mantorras played like a man who felt he had to singlehandedly win each and every game) can only make him better; specifically, free up some space and let his athleticism take over.

Roger - Flamengo really wants the kid, but Vieira's intent on keeping him here. Should be very interesting to see how Jesualdo finds a way to keep he, ZZ, Drul and Miguel all happy in the PT dept (benching Simao is not even an option, is it?). At best, ZZ is nearly a lock to be injured for 2 to 3 months of the year, so Roger might get his shot to run the show from the middle after all.

Tiago/Ednilson - Whatever crawled up Vieira's butt about dealing Ednilson towards the end of last season appears to have left, and all indications are that he'll stay on this season. That notion was further fortified with the news that Anders Andersson (I wonder if they made him tour a timeshare in Cascais during his free trip to Lisboa :confused: ) and Bruno Aguiar have been asked to bolt. Thank God - trading Ednilson would have been the frosting on Razor's 2002 Futebol/Calcio Nightmare Cake (Inter, Benfica, Portugal, Italia all going nowhere despite great opportunities to the contrary). Not since the Rick Fox Incident have I been so disillusioned about sports***

As for Tiago - Sweet Mammy, doesn't he have all the makings of a great? We only have one goal this season: campeonato; why not see what the next two great defensive midfielders for Portugal (both under 22!) can do together. Lord knows we'll be watching them together in Germany 2006 (assuming Joao V Pinto's ban isn't lifted by then), so let's sit back an enjoy them "whens theys was pups"!

The schedule comes out next Friday (the 12th) - can't wait to see what the future holds for our beloved Encarnados!

Forca Benfica!

***Footnote - for those of you not familiar, the Rick Fox Incident was one of the greatest travesties of the past 30 years in professional sports (OK, OK, maybe not that bad, but it was pretty bad). For those of you who didn't have the privilege of growing up in the greater Boston area during the 80s/early 90s, Kevin Mchale and Robert Parrish were every bit as important as the living deity we know as Larry Joe Bird. Put McHale on any other team, and there's a statue of him in downtown <enter name of NBA city here>.

Once Larry finally retired, we had a chance to see what McHale could do as "da man". Despite playing the 2nd half of the season on a broken foot (again!), McHale led a no-name Celtics squad with no supporting cast to speak of to 6th place in the Eastern Conference in 1994 and found himself in a decisive Game Five in Charlotte against the upstart/hot expansion Charlotte Hornets (you'll remember that they were very good their first couple of years in the league). Having already announced his impending retirement prior to the playoffs, this had the possibility of being the last game of a brilliant career. McHale already had a triple-double for the game, and was hobbling down the court in the closing seconds down by one. He was getting the ball; everybody in the joint knew it. One of his patented moves and the game would be over (there were about 17 seconds left and the Celts had last posession).

What happens? Rick Fox takes the inbounds, dribbles upcourt...and is inconceivably called for a five-second violation! Two points to ponder:

A) When was the last time you ever saw a 5-second call in the NBA?
B) It wasn't more than 4 seconds, as Fox was hustling upcourt to set up the offense.

The fix was in, and in doing so, provided an ignominous end to the careers of one of the greatest power forwards in history.

Fast forward to a couple of summers later - where I'm on the links with my buddy Eddie, Rick Fox and "Ira" (of Ira Toyota/Lexus/Isuzu, etc. for all you Ma$sholes here - how's THAT for a random foursome?). I don't know about you guys, but when I come across a celebrity of any type, I go out of my way to NOT address the fact that they're a celebrity: it makes the person uneasy and makes you look like a kissass. So after 17 holes of general guy-talk (you would not believe the Tyra Banks stories (this was all pre-Vanessa)), I couldn't stand it anymore. I had to ask:

Razor: "Rick - sorry to bring up hoops, but I just have to ask this one question: do you remember Kevin McHale's last game?"

Rick: "Game Five against Charlotte - the worst"

Even he knew it was a travesty. Don't know why I just went off on this tangent, but it still hurts to talk about it...

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
Geez, man! You know, I was enjoying your Rick Fox story 'till you mentioned Tyra Banks - I can't believe you got Tyra Banks stories to tell and you torture us with this Boston centric, sympathy seeking Rick Fox crapola!;)

Everything else's on the money, as usual.

So, you think we'll dish Mantorras in midseason, eh? Not enough cheese to keep 'em both you don't think?

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
I don't see how they can keep him. It's not that he cost them all this money (I believe he's paid for in full), but they've floating some payments on Simao and possibly Nuno. Let's put it this way: if Nuno comes for free, Mantorras might stay the entire season. If we have to pay for him (even an 11th hour discounted transfer fee to Fio), then they will most likely shop him around in December.

Keep in mind, all we need is 10 goals from him (easily done with Nuno easing the pressure) and for some big-name striker to go down with a knee injury (think Raul or Inzaghi) and some Giant will overpay to bring him in. It's business, and LVP is definitely a businessman.

As for Tyra - let's just say she is naughty in every sense of the word.

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
Razor said:

As for Tyra - let's just say she is naughty in every sense of the word.
I know. I nailed her.:cool:

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Well I think Simao wants to win the Portuguese Primeira Liga, and if Nuno Gomes comes along and signs with Benfica, then I believe Simao will believe that they can win it all and stay(not saying that he will stay anyway).

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
fuk fuk fuk fuk

Newcastle now want Miguel and have apparently offered 4 mil euros.

This is pissinme off bigtime, i dont want to see any of our key players disappear. We all know we need the cash but I think it would be a bad time to sell as the market is down right now and if these players have a boom year, we cqan sell em for alot more in the future.

Other than the financial reasons, I woukld really hate to see Miguel go. He is one of my favourite players and I think he will be great some day, all he needs is a bit of pollishing and some refinement on his finishing skills. I for one pray that we do not seel him for a measly 4 mil, he will be worth alot more in a few years, specially considering he will be NT materail bringing alot more notice to his game.

BENFICA - SELL THE CRUD, DONT SELL OUR KEY PLAYERS

M

·
0 Posts
Hey i just herd that Porto have NOT signed De La Pena and have said he will not be coming to the antas!!:D

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
Wow ... Newcastle suxx!!! How can they know about the hughe potential of Miguel ... Hope Benfica keep him :eek: ... Well the offer for Simao is a joke and not worth being discussed! :stuckup:

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
How much is 4mil euros in contos?!?!

Seeing as Miguel is unlikely to get into the first team it could be worth considering, but only if it is a good offer!!

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Unlikely to get into the first team - hes a key player and will only improve (once he gets over his injury); I just think hell be worth alot more in one/two years time.

M

·
0 Posts
He had a godd run part way through last season where he scored a few goals and i think we have a great player here but we need to play him.

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
Yeah ... same opinion here. Miguel can make it to a key player this year. And he'll be worth far more in two years. We need to keep him. :stuckup:

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Call me cynical if you wish OG, but assuming we play 3 AM's as was the norm last season, Id say Drulovic as captain is ahead of Miguel, as is Simao, Roger and Zahovic. If we play 2 strikers and only 2 Am's then he's even further down the pecking order. Dont get me wrong Im not disputing his talent, but if we get a good offer for him, then Im not adverse to selling him.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If we get a good offer for him then theyll proberly take it as we all know we need the funds, but Im hoping he stays with us for a few more years.

Roger and Zahovic play in the middle of the park right; Drulo is not a 90 min player, so no matter what Miguel can be well used in his favoured wing position.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
i heard nuno was going to join tottenham in a 4m pound deal...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts