Xtratime Community banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
66,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Surely deserves a thread.
Font Sleeve Electric blue Brand Screenshot

Talk of Conte going there, let's see which top players join next summer if Newcastle stay in the Premiership..

Certainly makes the Premiership an even bigger force.

Reactions: Reza

·
Registered
66,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As a neutral when it comes to EPL it's cool actually, more competition in what is already a very competitive league.

I remember when Newcastle lost their first 3 CL group games in 2002-2003 but won the last 3 and qualified, the days of Shearer, Bellamy, Solano, Given...

Almeyda scored a world class goal for us against them at St James Park. Will the ground name be changed now to Salman Park?

·
Registered
34,811 Posts
I guess it means they won't settle for the likes of Ketsbaia, Dabizas, and Pistone

·
1st Tier Poster
52,246 Posts
just because they're Saudis doesn't necessarily mean they're big spenders, I guess?

btw they haven't won shit since 1955 FA Cup which is pretty shocking

·
1st Tier Poster
52,246 Posts
PIF might simply see NUFC as one small asset in their huge portfolio (EPL club with rich history and loyal fanbase, so almost certainly a good investment in 20 years perspective as long as it stays in the top flight).

I find it amusing that just because the fund itself controls over half a trillion in assets, Newcastle fans somehow think this means these Saudis have nothing better to spend it on than unfulfilled football ambitions of some failed industrial town up north. They might simply be a small side project which never reaches PSG/ManCity cost levels.

·
Registered
17,827 Posts
I doubt the Saudis would buy Newcastle just to be mediocre.

The Qataris have PSG, the Emiratis have Man City, i doubt the Saudis are going to be modest in their spending when they have regional rivals who have spent a lot of money to make their clubs competitive.

I will say, Saudis have more money than them but they also have more mouths to feed at home. KSA has rebounded slowly from rock bottom oil prices, and i don't really knoq how the optics will look when they start spending lavishly to make Newcastle competitive.

KSA doesn't have the luxury of being a country with a lot of resources but a small population like most of the other Gulf Arab states.

I still don't anticipate much opposition, but they are sensitive to criticism.

·
*the drum drum*
43,407 Posts
I find it amusing that just because the fund itself controls over half a trillion in assets, Newcastle fans somehow think this means these Saudis have nothing better to spend it on than unfulfilled football ambitions of some failed industrial town up north. They might simply be a small side project which never reaches PSG/ManCity cost levels.
Naive to think otherwise.

The Saudis are not going to settle for their play thing to be toyed with by Qataris for instance.

That said, I hope he has a plane crash on his first visit to Newcastle and burns slowly to death in the wreckage. Despicable human being who deserves only the most unimaginably terrible things.

·
Administrator
53,534 Posts
A bit of a joke all this.

But that's Football.
EPL fans are hypocrites. They protested in droves against Super league, which would been closed league in theory. But then they celebrate when their clubs bought by state oil money and practically make EPL the closed super league of World football more or less. They have way more funds then rest of the world put together.

Reactions: LCF

·
Administrator
53,534 Posts
PIF might simply see NUFC as one small asset in their huge portfolio (EPL club with rich history and loyal fanbase, so almost certainly a good investment in 20 years perspective as long as it stays in the top flight).

just because they're Saudis doesn't necessarily mean they're big spenders, I guess?

btw they haven't won shit since 1955 FA Cup which is pretty shocking
They are buying an EPL club and a football club in general because Qatari and UAE are their regional rivals. And they don't like them getting all the attention and fame. So trust that they will spend too and try to compete wirh them and out shine them.

·
Registered
503 Posts

return of the mac

·
Registered
66,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
NEWCASTLE UNITED ASK NAPOLI FOR KOULIBALY?
Kalidou Koulibaly goal

Newcastle United are under Saudi rule now and their first huge signing could be Napoli defender Kalidou Koulibaly, claim reports in England.

The club completed its takeover this week, with PIF representing the Saudi rulers buying out Mike Ashley in a deal believed to be worth £300m.
According to Football Insider and Sun Sport, one of the primary candidates for the January transfer window is Koulibaly.

It’s hardly the first time the Senegal international has been linked with a move to the Premier League, but Manchester United, Chelsea, Everton and Manchester City could never meet the asking price.

That used to be over €100m, but has dropped significantly over the last year to circa €60m.

Napoli President Aurelio De Laurentiis made it clear he was prepared to sell Koulibaly over the summer, but nobody was able to come up with a realistic transfer proposal.

Newcastle are also ready to fire coach Steve Bruce, with Antonio Conte and Ralf Rangnick among the potential candidates to replace him.

---

No way he leaves Napoli mid-season when they are competing for the Scudetto, summer more possible. I guess Koulibaly would prefer Barca or Real but can they afford him?

·
Registered
14,429 Posts
I would also add Newcastle is more than a failed industrial town. It is that of course, but also a pretty great university town, some of the best nightlife in England, and of course a super intense football city with a team with surprisingly good brand recognition in many parts of the world, and also with huge potential for epic stories since they have not won in so long.

IMO the shocking thing is that something like this took so long, especially considering how unhappy Ashley's tenure was.

Also, I almost started a job there this year, ended up not happening, but this would have been quite fun.

I don't personally mind the Saudi Arabia bit too much. Football is already bankrupt ethically. This is just more of the same.

·
Registered
47,647 Posts
I would also add Newcastle is more than a failed industrial town. It is that of course, but also a pretty great university town, some of the best nightlife in England, and of course a super intense football city with a team with surprisingly good brand recognition in many parts of the world, and also with huge potential for epic stories since they have not won in so long.
Yeah, Newcastle is pretty great. People are awesome...Geordies are super friendly. Lived around there for 3 years and always fancy going back up there when I'm in England.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts