Xtratime Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After another 2 points lost last week we really MUST win this match, if we don't we will probably fall off the pace for fourth place. It'll be a hard match for us, Boro will be full of confidence after their win at Old Trafford last week.

Unfortunately for us Woodgate is yet again out along with Andy Griffin, meaning that Titus Bramble will partner Andy O'Brien in central defence.

The good news is that Bellamy is fit and is likely to partner Alan Shearer up front. Lee Bowyer is included in the squad for the first time since October last year.

The Squad:

Given, Harper, Hughes, Bernard, Elliott, O'Brien, Bramble, Speed, Robert, Jenas, Dyer, Bowyer, Viana, Ambrose, Shearer, Bellamy, Ameobi, Bridges.

The fact that Robbie Eliott is included, having not played a match for Newcastle in ages, shows how much we lack depth.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Final Score:

Newcastle 2 - 1 Middlesbrough :D

A vital win for us today, from what I've heard we were pretty poor in the first half but better in the second. The win feels that much better as we came from a goal down to claim all 3 points after Zenden handed Boro a first half lead. But in the second half Bellamy equalised with his second goal since his return making it 2 in 2 for him. Then in the 83rd minute Ambrose was fouled by Southgate in the area and Shearer ended his goal drought by tucking in the penalty :)

·
Registered
11,360 Posts
Being a Newcastle fan, I've intended for a long time to start posting in this forum, but I don't watch many Newcastle games anymore, because I don't really follow EPL anymore . But I watched the game today and I must say we were very lucky to win, the referee really helped us, first he gave a non-existant penalty for us and then he disallowed Boro's goal for an offiside which was as passive as they get.

It was a boring game overall, we were quite poor for most of the game, but a horrendous mistake by Ehiogu allowed us to return in the game. Dyer had an awful game by his standarts, missed a sitter and rarely touched the ball. I am so happy to see Bellamy back and scoring, he's really crucial for the team.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, Dyer's been pretty poor since he scored twice against Southampton away in the FA Cup. I can't understand his performances, he can play very well at times and look amazing, but other times he plays very poorly. It'd be great if he could perform the way he did against Southampton on a consistant basis.

It is indeed great to see Bellamy back and scoring :), like you said he is crucial and adds so much to the team.

BTW how did Darren Ambrose do today?

·
Registered
11,360 Posts
Ambrose didn't play well IMO, he saw very little of the ball and when he got it, didn't do enough with it. Most of our attacks were from the other side through Robert and Bernard.

·
Registered
22,487 Posts
For me there´s only one United, thats Manchester. ;)
In spite of that I also like Newcastle a little , especially Bellamy ( I really realized him on a f****** November evening in 2002, when he sunk my favourite NT... and from that day on he interested me. *gg* ) and good old Alan Shearer. He should be in the english squad again. At least as substitute.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Having seen the highlights now, I think the penalty should have been given, but it was definately a soft penalty, the contact was minimalistic, but Ambrose just knicked the ball infront of Southgate and he stuck out a leg. Boro's disallowed goal was dubious, Job and Juninho were clearly offside and Juninho was standing right infront of Given, but Ricketts, the scorer, was onside. IMO the goal was rightly disallowed, although I must admit under the new ruling it possibly should of stood, the offside rule gets more complicated as the days go by. But a win is a win, I'm delighted we won, but it was a very below-par performance, we must improve our performances if we want to save our season.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
delpi_vanni_10 said:
For me there´s only one United, thats Manchester. ;)
We were United a decade before you were, 'Newton Heath' ;)

delpi_vanni_10 said:
and good old Alan Shearer. He should be in the english squad again. At least as substitute.
No way, he's 100% ours - even if he is still the best English forward alive. :)

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Demandred said:
Ambrose didn't play well IMO ...
I thought he played a great game considering the pitch was abysmal and we lacked any sort of cohesion whatsoever. His pace was electric and he's not afraid to take on players either - something Nobby didn't do.

With a bit of experience and development he could be a very very good player for us.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Prodigy said:
Having seen the highlights now, I think the penalty should have been given, but it was definately a soft penalty, the contact was minimalistic, but Ambrose just knicked the ball infront of Southgate and he stuck out a leg. Boro's disallowed goal was dubious, Job and Juninho were clearly offside and Juninho was standing right infront of Given, but Ricketts, the scorer, was onside.
The amount of times we've been clearly screwed in the past 12 months we've been well overdue to get some dodgy decisions go our way for once ;)

·
Registered
22,487 Posts
dyertribe said:
We were United a decade before you were, 'Newton Heath' ;)

No way, he's 100% ours - even if he is still the best English forward alive. :)
I live in this century so I dont care. ;)
No chance to see Alan playing for England again? :cry:

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
dyertribe said:
The amount of times we've been clearly screwed in the past 12 months we've been well overdue to get some dodgy decisions go our way for once ;)
Yep, and especially after last year when they called of the match 48 hours before kick off because of minimal snow, while we were very much on form and both of their starting CB's had injuries.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts