Xtratime Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
International
9,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A top 4-0 win over Tahiti, and a 9-1 thrashing of PNG sees the All Whites looking reasonably strong in preparation for what will probably be the final with Australia.

On another note, good to see big Ivan V back in the team, all the way from Roda JC. As the immortal chant from the Kingz matches went 'GO ON IVAN!!!!!'

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Well it's a forgone conclusion that New Zealand and Australia will meet in the final, only NZ might have a chance this time ;)

God the media coverage of this tournament is so poor, Fred, do you know the table of that group and which other team is likely to progress?

·
International
9,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well Tahiti managed a somewhat miraculous win over the Solomon Islands the other night, 3-2 after being 2-0 down. So I'm assuming it will be them, unless the completely fall away to PNG, or the solomons somehow beat us;)

·
Star Player
2,744 Posts
In all honesty NZ aren't a bad team at all and could give Australia a game, though of course Australia will beat them ;)

Some of your players might attract international scouts, as there are players capable of playing at a higher level.

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Fred Elliot said:
unless the completely fall away to PNG, or the solomons somehow beat us;)

I remember the WC qualifying game a couple of years back. I think the Solomons only need to draw against you guys to progress to the play off against Australia :D But I think NZ won 5-1 in that game, and Solomons lost their last one anyway.

·
Star Player
2,744 Posts
I have been saying for a long time that matches against these minnows is not the way forward for Australia and New Zealand. Both teams need regular matches against much, much stronger opposition in order to prove they're competitive in the international arena.

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
www.theworldgame.com.au

The New Zealand All Whites have comfortably disposed of the Solomons 6-1 to remain on track for an expected showdown with Australia in the final of the Oceania Nations Cup.

The home team, easily won Group B with three wins from three. Ivan Vicelich and Jeff Campbell scored two goals each and Paul Urlovic and Mark Burton got one each for New Zealand, who led 3-0 at halftime.

In the other Pool B game Tahiti, with two goals from Felix Tagawa, beat Papua New Guinea 3-1.

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
David Votoupal said:
So the semi-final showdowns are?

Well it depends on the results of todays games.

I am guessing it would be:

Australia vs Tahiti
New Zealand vs Vanuatu

·
International
9,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can't quite believe how far behind even NZ some of these teams are....Jeff Campbell scored 2 against the Solomons and anyone who has seen the Kingz play can testify that he is the biggest bottler going. still, this oughton bloke whose come from nowhere really, is promising. And it wouldn't be proper if I didn't make mention again of Ivan. Go Ivan, Go;) :D

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Vanuatu defeated New Caledonia 1-0 tonight, so they are in the semi finals. A 76th minute goal gave them the win.

The semi final line up is:

Australia vs Tahiti ?
New Zealand vs Vanuatu

1 - 11 of 11 Posts