Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys from the big apple or thereabouts, where would be the best place to watch the games? I think me and my crew are going to go to Astoria, most likely destination Scorpio's. Give me your views on this subject. Naprijed Vatreni!

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
Ok Grba...

I would say the best places to watch the games are Scorpio or Millenium and I think Shakespears might also have the games....depending on which you like best and the people that you hang out with. My friends bowling alley usually has the NT games but I'm not sure if he is going to keep the place open that late, but it might be worth a try...Maric Lanes in Astoria. if you want to hang with the old people try Zagreb....as for me, I work, so the weekend games i can go and watch but the weekday games, well, I'll tape them and then avoid this site and the radio until I get home, watch the game and then comment on it....damn work.....;)

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hear you Jure, work is a drag! The worst thing will be getting back to Jersey after that Mexico game, I start work at 630! I really hope we get the 3 points otherwise it will be a very long day driving around the city!

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
Damn....I wake up at 6:30 for work...I figure go to sleep at 8 pm...depending on if you will watch the game from home or go to Astoria wake up at 1:30 if going to Astoria, or 2:15 if watching from home, and then if you're in Astoria stay a while and go straight to work or if at home then get 2 hours sleep....thats the only way to do it....why Japan/Korea??? Why so far away...only to appease those damn Aussie-Croats....:D

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's a great game plan Jure, problem is getting to sleep so early. I guess I'll just go and buy a bottle of Dingac for dinner and hope that rocket fuel we call wine can knock me out for a few hours! Do you know how late these places in Astoria can stay open? I hope they throw us out after the game, because if we win we're going to go to zora, meaning no work for me on Monday morning! Idemo na Karlovacko!

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
HA HA...very true...I think thats why I'm doing the stay at home option for those midweek games...:D

I don't drink, but my best guess to knock you out would be some of your fathers or grandfathers home made rakija....that should pretty much do the trick. Only problem is that you'd have to then drink it about 4 pm because if you drink that stuff for 8 then you'll never get up in time for the games....:D

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
God bless you for not drinking, How do you do it? I need to know! As for the rakija, the only thing I use that for is my minor cuts and abrasions! No way in hell is that stuff going to my lips! I should be ok, all the adrenaline will be pumping and I won't even realise how tired I am until the following evening, just like it used to be when I was courting a fine young Czech lady in Queens a few months ago! Here's to the becari, Long live the single life of Nogomet and beer!

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
Grba..

I hope you weren't frequeting "Zlata Praha" in Astoria where all the Czechs and ther Slovaks eat...

Well, not drinking is easy, though I have been disowned by the Imocani....:D

Oh and that "domaca" well, you just smell that stuff and you are drunk. That stuff not only gets you wasted, as you said, it's a great for cuts and mild abrasions, as well as pulled muscles, removing paint, cleaning work tools and pots and pans, running small motors, its a multi-purpose liquid....:D

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Grba,
Im pretty sure Scorps will be open for the games. Lets wreck Queens again, just like we did in 98!!!

it was better than Mardi Gras!!

·
Registered
520 Posts
I went to New York in Dec. 2000 and I must say that NY Cro's are awesome. We stayed with my brother's friend and partied all weekend. We went to Valentino, Millenium, Scorpio, and a Cro party at "Opium Lounge" (i think that's what it's called). It was great to hang out at Croatian bars and Croatians. Chicago is nice, but there's only one small Croatian bar that's nothing special.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Astoria Queens,is all about the Zadrani!
If there is no Zadrani,there would be not any fun!
Majstor will be there...

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Take it easy majstor, there are plenty of non Zadrani in the New York area, me included!;) ;) ;) ;)

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
Do Privlacani count as Zadrani????:D ;) These are what you see mostly in Queens....and these guys have tempers that would make any Imocan and Hercegovac look tame.....:D

·
Registered
4 Posts
New York Croatians

Im Croatian living in NY, born in Cro living in US since I was 10 and in NY for 4 years now....

I have Croatian friends here but they are all direct from Cro living here about 6 yrs or so...Im 27.

Every Cro soccer match i go to Scorpio in Queens to watch the game alone (time stands still when i watch soccer anyway, so alone is fine), but I found it very difficult to relate to the people there, though honestly I was preoccupied with the game...

Ive always wanted to explore "Croatian" Queens more... but I really have no idea where to start since I don't know any Croatians from NY here.. are there going to be any good parties/places to watch the games at 2:30am besides like Scorpios? Are there any Croatian bars in Queens that you have Croatians from the ages of 20 - 30 going?

My cousin used to live in Yonkers in the early nineties and we went to Shakespears once.. it was fun.. we got hammered.. but since then ive lost all touch..

Any insight would be appreciated...

Thanks..

Also, Id be interested in playing soccer with Croatians.. is there a league in NY for Croatians?

Thanks again..

BOK

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Agram,buddy,we'll talk!
IM me!
We'll definetiliy have GOOD time in Astoria...
majstor will be there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ja nisam iz Zadra isto////////////////////
ali jako blizu
nisam iz sela
vec iz grada
najblizi zadru
mislim

VOLIM TE HRVATSKO

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
dinamo11 said:

There will be nothing better than watching the World Cup in prime time.:)

kickoffs at 4.30pm, 7.00pm, 9.30pm :D life is beautiful :) atleast for the next month it will be.

the good thing is that the matches will be played at night in Japan/Korea...this is good for Prosinecki as he really does struggle when the sun is out.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
all of you aussies,enjoy while it lasts...
i don't think that wc is ever going to be this far east,EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!

voli vas svih,majstor...

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
Kazi ti njima Majstore....

Sramota...that these Aussies are basking in the glory of watching the WC in prime time while we have to suffer the indignity of watching games at 2:30 in the morning...but then again, for us Croatians in NY we're just going out at that time...nothing new...:D

1 - 20 of 33 Posts