Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
NULLA E' IMPOSSIBILE
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
-Parma close in on Milosevic-

Parma are reported to be close to signing Real Zaragoza's Euro 2000 joint-top scorer, Savo Milosevic.

According to Italy’s ‘La Gazzetta dello Sport’, after lengthy talks the Italian club reached an important agreement to have a discount on the rescission clause of the forward. In effect this means that they could now sign him for £16 million (€25.8m).

The player is also wanted by other top clubs in Spain and Europe.

Parma want to wait before confirming the deal. It is known that Milosevic is not the player to replace the departed Hernan Crespo. The club, managed by Alberto Malesani, is still waiting to see if there is a chance of Marcelo Salas finally changing his mind about joining the club.

·
NULLA E' IMPOSSIBILE
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
-Husain signing denied-
Argentinian side Velez Sarsfield have announced that they have reached an agreement with Parma on the sale of midfielder Claudio Daniel Husain. But Parma have denied that any deal has been done.

It was reported that the transfer should come to a total of £5.3 million (€8.5m), since Velez explained they would also receive an extra £2.6 million (€4.2m) more for the Colombian forward Mayer Candelo.

But Parma denied they had bought the midfielder. Added to that, South American press sources revealed that Husain could be given to Bologna on a one-year loan basis.

·
NULLA E' IMPOSSIBILE
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
-De Canio looks for improvement from Udinese-

On Saturday night, Udinese progressed to the Intertoto Cup semi-finals, despite a 2-1 home defeat against Danish club Aalborg. However, manager Luigi De Canio was not satisfied with the way the Italian team struggled after their easy 2-0 win in the away leg a week ago.

"I knew that it would be a tough match. In the first leg we proved to be the better team, but Aalborg have a good squad who are in better physical condition than us. They were very dangerous to face," De Canio declared.

"Of course, this was not a positive result for us. They troubled us throughout the game, but we also made some mistakes. However, the most important thing was to pass the ball around and we did that."

In the semi-finals, next Wednesday, Udinese will face Austria Vienna. "Well they are stronger than the Danes in many respects. It won't be an easy match and I am hoping to see a much-improved Udinese, but time is short."

·
NULLA E' IMPOSSIBILE
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
-Inter Keane on Robbie-

With Marcelo Salas a step nearer to a move to Parma, thanks to long talks the Chilean had with his agent Gustavo Mascardi, Inter are looking for a new striker and Coventry City’s Robbie Keane has emerged as the new potential target.

Inter’s first choice had been David Di Michele, top scorer at Salernitana last season. But the southern Italian club has demanded £6.3 million (€10.3m) as well as Inter’s young midfielder Franco Semioli before they sell.

However, 'La Gazzetta dello Sport' reported that Inter's directors have now turned their attention towards signing Coventry youngster Robbie Keane. Inter are expected to make a decision before the end of next week.

The Italian club originally approached Keane some months ago before eventually giving up. Now it seems Inter could offer around £9.5 million (€15.5m) for the Irish youngster.

·
NULLA E' IMPOSSIBILE
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
-Atalanta, No more purchases-

Once the key signings of Nicola Ventola from Inter and Maurizio Ganz from AC Milan have been completed, the club has decided to put a hold on all transfers until they have a chance to fully evaluate the strength of the team. This also applies to sales, with the possible exception of selling one of the defenders - Danilo Zini or Cesare Natali.

Meanwhile the Serie A club, currently spending time at a pre-season retreat in Austria, had an easy win in their first friendly match of the new season. On Saturday, the Italians triumphed 5-1 against third division side Wolfsberg.

With Nicola Ventola still not available, the man of the match to Maurizio Ganz, who scored two goals and showed he is the natural leader of the Bergamo team. The only disappointment for Atalanta was the injury to Marco Nappi, who had to leave the field in the second half with three broken teeth.

·
NULLA E' IMPOSSIBILE
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Roma want Totti for life

Francesco Totti’s agent is meeting with Roma chairman Franco Sensi to try to keep the player at the club for the rest of his career.

Totti’s current contract expires on 30 June 2003 and the Rome club are anxious to sign a new deal running till 2005.

Sensi is prepared to offer a £2.9 million (€4.6m) a-year deal while Totti’s agent Zavaglia wants more.

Totti is currently in the Caribbean on holiday but is expected back in Rome at the end of the week. He is to join up with the squad on 2 August and both parties hope that the deal will be done by then.

·
NULLA E' IMPOSSIBILE
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Zeman flatly denies Baggio interest

If it seemed recently that the chances of Roberto Baggio wearing a Napoli shirt were increasing, coach Zdenek Zeman put the dampeners on the issue on Monday by declaring: “Baggio? Well, we have different targets. I asked the president for other players to strengthen the team.”

Zeman continued: “I read that I was quoted as saying I would be happy if Baggio joined us, but that’s not true. I have never agreed to take him. He is certainly a good player, probably one of the most talented footballers in Italy, but I repeat he is not a target for us.”

Finally, the Czech confirmed that negotiations regarding the signing of defenders Abdelilah Saber and Facundo Quiroga from Sporting Lisbon are nearing completion. Both players should be arriving in Naples on Tuesday to have medicals.

·
NULLA E' IMPOSSIBILE
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maldini: “Redondo good, Rivaldo better”

Paolo Maldini, captain and flag-bearer of AC Milan, has admitted in an interview that his club has now fallen behind Lazio and AS Roma. He believes that even the purchase of Redondo from Real Madrid won’t make a significant difference, and that the club needs a great name if they are to mount a serious title challenge .

“The Argentinian is an important player, but buying Rivaldo would sound, and be a lot different for us and for our supporters as well,” the captain said.

“Obviously he is a Barcelona player, so it wouldn’t be just up to us to buy him. The other side would also have to be prepared to sell the Brazilian. There are not many players able to make the difference,” continued Maldini.

“Anyway, the transfer market hasn’t closed yet, so we should wait a bit longer before we give a final judgement on our real chances of winning the championship,” he concluded.

·
NULLA E' IMPOSSIBILE
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No loan for Ronaldo

The head of Inter’s medical staff Julio Velasco denied on Monday that there was any chance of Ronaldo being allowed to join Flamengo on loan. It had been suggested that the Brazilian could return to South America to regain fitness and match practice with the Rio club. But Velasco said that the idea was simply not an option.

“No one here wants to put pressure on Ronaldo. For that reason we won’t let him go on loan,” Velasco said.

Later in the afternoon an Inter spokesman added: “A gradual return beginning with little pressure is exactly what we want. A loan denotes impatience, while we want Ronaldo to take all the time he needs. And we’ll never consider the idea of releasing him on a loan basis.”

It was Ronaldo who admitted during an interview with Italian sports paper ‘La Gazzetta dello Sport’ that he could imagine the idea of appearing in a league other than Serie A, where defenders are very tough.

·
NULLA E' IMPOSSIBILE
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wenger waits on Overmars decision

Arsene Wenger has admitted for the first time that he may have to say goodbye to his flying Dutchman Marc Overmars.

The Arsenal boss insisted last season that Overmars, who still has four years left on his Highbury contract, would not be sold.

But with both Barcelona and Lazio poised with £15 million (€24.3m) bids, Wenger admits that he can’t rule out the possibility of his departure.

He said: “In football you can never say never. One of the potential presidents of Barcelona has made promises, but he is not elected yet.

“Marc comes back for training next Thursday. I have spoken to him on the phone. He said what he had to say during Euro 2000.

“The only thing I can say is that I want him to stay and that if he agrees to stay, that he is fully committed to the club.”

Wenger continued: “My desire is for him to stay, but I do not know if that is his desire. If I say Marc will never leave, somebody will come in with a big, big offer and I’ll have to consider it. I live in the real world.”

·
NULLA E' IMPOSSIBILE
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Panucci snubs Stamford Bridge

Chelsea boss Gianluca Vialli is set to miss out in the chase for Inter Milan star Christian Panucci. The Italian, who has fallen out with Inter coach Marcello Lippi, has snubbed approaches from Vialli who was very keen on bringing him to Stamford Bridge.

But the 27-year-old defender wants to be reunited with former boss Fabio Capello at Roma. Panucci played under him at AC Milan and Real Madrid, and is confident that the deal will be sealed.

The Italian revealed: “Vialli contacted me recently. I thanked him, but told him I needed time to think. If it’s possible, I want to stay in Italy.

“I want to play for a big club and would prefer Roma. I’ve refused offers because I want to play for Capello.”

Chelsea were prepared to fork out around £8 million (€13m) to land the defender, but have now turned their attentions elsewhere.

·
NULLA E' IMPOSSIBILE
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Southgate: “I don’t want to be a Villain”

Gareth Southgate is urging Aston Villa to sell him before the new Premiership season kicks off.

The Villa skipper admitted he feels in limbo after telling the club two months ago that he wants to quit.

Villa claim they have had no firm enquiries for the England man despite rumours linking him with both Chelsea and Spanish aces Deportivo La Coruna.

Southgate declared: “It’s all getting a bit messy at the moment. I know there have been telephone calls to the club about me, but I don’t know if Villa are encouraging other clubs to make an offer.

“I don’t expect Villa to bend over backwards to help me. Yet I’d have thought it was in everyone’s interest to get everything sorted out before the new season starts.”

He continued: “They have told me that they are prepared to listen to written offers and, if the right bid comes in, I can go.

“That’s fair. I just hope they will be honest enough to tell me if they receive any.”

·
NULLA E' IMPOSSIBILE
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Upton Park wants Israeli

West Ham boss Harry Redknapp is keen to sign up Israeli centre-half Arik Benado in a surprise deal.

The Maccabi Haifa player has joined Hammers for a short-term trial with a view to a £1.5 million (€2.4m) move.

Benado is a regular international and would be granted a work permit if Redknapp can agree a fee with his club.

Hammers have received special permission to field Benado in friendly games but are under pressure to give an answer shortly.

·
NULLA E' IMPOSSIBILE
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Vieira vows to remain a Gunner

Patrick Vieira has admitted he turned his back on a money-spinning move to Italian giants Juventus - because he doesn’t think he can cut it in Serie A. That is the startling confession of the Arsenal midfielder who has ended weeks of speculation by insisting that for the time being, his future remains at Highbury.

Only last month he admitted that Juventus were interested in signing him, and that he was ready to try “new experiences” on the continent.

But after enjoying Euro 2000 success with France, he insists that there are still some challenges to be met in the Premiership.

He revealed: “Having played with AC Milan a couple of years ago, I had to be truthful with myself and admit that I was not made for the Italian game.

“Italian football is not the kind I like or excel at. I have come to realise that I am much more suited to the English way of playing.”

Vieira continued: “I know I am still learning and improving at Highbury. I love English football. I believe that the English are mentally the strongest players in the world. I know I still have much to achieve here and Highbury is the place I want to be.”

Vieira admits that the Premiership is still behind the likes of Serie A, but thinks that the Italians lack the heart of the English.

He said: “Technically and tactically the Premiership is still a little behind other leagues, but when it comes to having the heart and spirit to win the Champions League by scoring two goals in two minutes, like Manchester United did, only the English can do that.”

Vieira has also vowed that fans will see a different side to his game in the coming season, and that he is desperate to rid himself of his bad-boy image.

He admitted: “I have learned my lesson from the Neil Ruddock incident. I considered the ban very severe and it was a very bad experience for me.

“I won’t be behaving like that again because I spent a lot of time on the sidelines, learning my lesson by watching the others playing.

“Now I want to put that knowledge into my game and you should see a different side to me next season.”

·
NULLA E' IMPOSSIBILE
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sunderland chase Makelele

Sunderland boss Peter Reid has targeted Celta Vigo’s French midfielder Claude Makelele who is desperate to leave the Spanish club.

Reid told the Sunday Mirror: “All I can say at this stage is that I have made an inquiry for Makelele. He is a top-drawer player.”

But Sunderland will have to fight Spanish side Valencia who have also expressed interest in the 27-year-old French star but Makelele's £11.3 million (€18m)buy-out clause may prove too much for Valencia.

After returning late for pre-season training and being threatened by the club with a hefty fine, Makelele hit a new low when he was sidelined by coach Victor Fernández who attacked him for lack of interest.

Sunderland’s transfer record currently stands at £3.75 million (€6m) when they purchased Swedish international Stefan Schwarz last season from Valencia.

·
NULLA E' IMPOSSIBILE
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hyppia: McAllister provides experience

The arrival of Gary McAllister at Liverpool can turn them into Premiership pacesetters this season.

That's the verdict of his Reds teammate Sami Hyypia who believes that the experience of the 35-year-old midfielder will be a key ingredient in their attempts to land the title this season.

The Finnish defender revealed: "We were a very young side last season and maybe we did lack experience at times.

"We achieved our initial goal of qualifying for Europe, but we would have been in the Champions League if we hadn't slipped up in our final five games.

"I'm very happy that we've signed Gary because he gives us the experience that we didn't have last season."

Meanwhile, Liverpool boss Gerard Houllier, has had his preparations thrown into chaos by Fifa after they arranged international fixtures across Europe three days before the start of the new Premiership season.

Houllier expects to lose the likes of Hyypia, Markus Babbel, Dietmar Hamann and will sweat on their fitness for the new campaign.

·
NULLA E' IMPOSSIBILE
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Rebrov: Ginola must stay

Sergei Rebrov has begged David Ginola not to leave White Hart Lane and provide him with the bullets to terrorize Premiership defences.

Spurs' new £11 million (€17m) striker has struck up a friendship with the Frenchman and would be sad to see him make a switch to Aston Villa.

The Ukrainian insisted: "It would be bad to lose such a great playmaker - he is useful to this club and would certainly be useful for me.

"I have asked him about Aston Villa and he says there is nothing concrete yet and I hope he changes his mind and decides to stay.

"He and Steffen Freund have been great in helping me settle in and we need players like Ginola if we are to be successful this season."

Spurs boss George Graham is convinced that in Rebrov, he has found a diamond after seeing Rebrov score on his debut in the 4-0 victory over Finnish side Tervarit.

Graham said: "I was amazed how much he knew about the club and the players when he arrived. He is an internet fanatic.

"He is desperate to do well here and I have no doubts that he will. He is a terrific player and I'm surprised we didn't have more competition for his signature."

·
NULLA E' IMPOSSIBILE
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wil-tord join Arsenal?

Sylvain Wiltord turned up at Bordeaux’s training session on Monday a week later than expected and despite claiming that he is injured, the striker can expect to be fined by the club.

Wiltord met up with Arsenal duo Arsene Wenger and David Dein on Saturday in order to broker a deal that would take him away from the Girondins.

But the Gunners will have to up their bid from the original £7.6 million (€12.2m) and may be prepared to stretch to £13 million (€20.6) according to Wenger.

The smart money says that Bordeaux and Arsenal will come to some sort of a compromise, sooner rather than later.

·
NULLA E' IMPOSSIBILE
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ferdinand could leave for Leeds

Leeds United are set to make a record £10 million (€16.2m) cash bid to sign Rio Ferdinand from West Ham this week. Chairman Peter Ridsdale is now offering a money-only offer for the classy centre-half, after having swap deals rejected.

And Ferdinand is willing to move to Elland Road rather than look abroad as he tries to further his career after a Euro 2000 snub by England boss Kevin Keegan.

Leeds are now confident they can pull off their biggest ever deal - and the most ever paid for an English defender - in the next few days.

West Ham are under growing pressure to sell Ferdinand. A £10 million (€16.2m) fee, instead of a reduced amount plus Michael Duberry or Danny Mills, is attractive to them.

Boss Harry Redknapp will be reluctant to lose Ferdinand, but will have to submit - as long as he gets money to strengthen his team.

Ferdinand has also told West Ham that the time may be right for him to go. He had been linked with top European clubs, but has told friends that Leeds would be a good career move.

The decision to leave him out of the England 22 for the Euro 2000 finals hurt him badly and could be a watershed.

Leeds have already spent £14 million (€22.7m) on Mark Viduka and Olivier Dacourt, and the capture of Ferdinand would take their summer spending spree close to £25 million (€40.6m).

Amazingly, the Yorkshire club is still planning to bring in two more faces before they get ready to mount a challenge both on the home front, and abroad this season.

·
NULLA E' IMPOSSIBILE
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Spanish league (short) !

Figo: “My conscience is clear”

Now the most expensive player in football history, Luis Figo claimed during his official presentation in the Spanish capital on Monday evening that he has no worries about making the move from Barcelona to their bitter rivals Real Madrid.
-----------------------------

Roa return praised

After ending his premature retirement for religious reasons, Carlos Roa is set to take the field for Mallorca for the first time in 13 months.
-------------------------------

Catanha deal collapses

Catanha’s move from Malaga to Deportivo looks to have fallen through with Real Madrid looking to poach the striker from under the champions’ noses.
--------------------------------

Silva leaves Deportivo

Veteran Brazilian midfielder Mauro Silva has left Spanish champions Deportivo La Coruna for personal reasons.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts