Xtratime Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
XT's Demi-God
8,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A new team will enter the Eircom League in the 2nd division in place of defunct Kilkenny City. They'll be playing less than 20 mins from where I live. Hope to see a few games. Hope they can develop properly with the right support as the Fingal region is the quickest grown area of Ireland, and also the most multiculural.

Anyone know anything about them?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
The last thing the league needs is another Dublin club. Once Bohs move out to their new ground they will be in the same catchment area.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
You must remember that two years ago Dublin City went out of business....

·
Registered
12,740 Posts
Tony75 said:
A new team will enter the Eircom League in the 2nd division in place of defunct Kilkenny City. They'll be playing less than 20 mins from where I live. Hope to see a few games. Hope they can develop properly with the right support as the Fingal region is the quickest grown area of Ireland, and also the most multiculural.

Anyone know anything about them?
Where are they going to play? Which city / which stadium?

Also, what happened to Kilkenny City? No football (beside gaelic ;)) there anymore?

Badge said:
Once Bohs move out to their new ground they will be in the same catchment area.
Bohs are going to leave Dalymount? :eek:

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Bohs talk about rebuilding Dalymount or moving out for ages, but don't seem to have the money for it. I think Dalymount is a really fine ground, no need to leave really IMO.

Although I don't wish Sporting Fingal anything bad, I think that it is a pity they accepted another Dublin club. Dublin is overcrowded already in terms of football. Lot of Dubliners prefer foreign teams, and those who follow the Eircom League already have their own team (be it Bohs, Shels, Pats, Rovers or even UCD). The bankruptcy of Dublin City was no coincidence but a clear indication of the overcrowded Dublin market. To accept a new Dublin team is not a good move by the FAI. Don't see it happening that Fingal-based people will suddenly support this team ; either they continue to follow British teams, or they will continue supporting the Irish club they supported before.

By the way, Swords is also a very big catchment area. But same problem here: it is county Dublin, which is overcrowded as it is in terms of football.

If the FAI really wanted to have a new team with chances to grow, they should have picked a team from County Kerry to enter the league. Some junior sides are doing very well there and have really decent accomodations, and with no local rivals nearby the new Kerry club could attract a really good fanbase. That would have been a much better choice than yet another Dublin club.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
GreatWhiteNorth said:
You must remember that two years ago Dublin City went out of business....
I still have a scarf of that team, despite not supporting them (when I lived in the Republic, I went to Shelbourne for footie). Dublin City only had 100 fans but one of them was decent enough to give me a scarf for my collection :)

The weird thing was that they had no fans but sold more shirts than any other Irish team. The local tourist shops all sold them to tourists who thought that they bought a Dublin shirt, not knowing that there was a football club called Dublin City. Using the city name and city logo was a good move.
Imagine founding a club called London City, using the London crest as logo and using the city colours for your shirt. Then no matter how crap the team is, you will sell a lot of shirts if you corporate with tourist shops. Not a single tourist will know he is buying the shirt of a local sports club.

·
XT's Demi-God
8,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Knoert said:
Where are they going to play? Which city / which stadium?
They'll play in Morton Stadium/Santry Stadium near the airport.
Knoert said:
Also, what happened to Kilkenny City? No football (beside gaelic ;)) there anymore?
Werent financially viable to continue as club.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Bohs sold Dalyer to a property developer who will build them a brand new replacement stadium out near the airport on a greenfield site. already got 3million just to agree to the proposal. they then get a new ground for free plus a huge wedge (10s of millions?) for Dalymount. At least it went to a vote amongst the Bohs membership (ie the fan base). Needs must and all that.

·
Registered
12,740 Posts
Crackedpleasures said:
(when I lived in the Republic, I went to Shelbourne for footie)
Bad 'choice', Bohs rule :cool:

Crackedpleasures said:
The weird thing was that they had no fans but sold more shirts than any other Irish team. The local tourist shops all sold them to tourists who thought that they bought a Dublin shirt, not knowing that there was a football club called Dublin City. Using the city name and city logo was a good move.
That's because Carrolls was their sponsor ;), but agree, a good move indeed, although I doubt or Dublin City FC got an acceptable amount of the profit...

Badge said:
Bohs sold Dalyer to a property developer who will build them a brand new replacement stadium out near the airport on a greenfield site. already got 3million just to agree to the proposal. they then get a new ground for free plus a huge wedge (10s of millions?) for Dalymount. At least it went to a vote amongst the Bohs membership (ie the fan base). Needs must and all that.
It's a bit confusing for me, how about that Morton Stadium Tony75 mentioned?

However, a brand new stadium, when should it be finished and used by Bohs according to the plans?

That Morton Stadium doesn't look too bad, although it's a pity of the athletics track...

http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/europe/ireland/dublin_morton.shtml

http://www.worldstadia.com/ws/show-page.php?menuCommand=stadium&menuData=590

As we're on this subject though :D, how about Rovers' proposed Tallaght Stadium?

EDIT: Just forgot to say it would be a pity if Dalymount got demolished, it's was of course Ireland's national football ground before they were going to use Lansdowne...

·
Registered
160 Posts
It's definitely short-sighted to enter another Dublin team. It makes it handy to travel to away games alright but the trips outside of the county are becoming less and less. Used to enjoy going down to Kilkenny and spending some time in the town beforehand. Kerry is such a big county and it's unfair that there is not a single team representing them in the Eircom league. The league is being more and more isolated from the rest of the country.

I loved going to Home Farm/Dublin City. The clubhouse was great. Everyone crammed in for half-time drinks. Kids playing on the astroturf beside the pitch. One of my favourite little grounds.

·
Registered
1 Posts
best post in forum

I still have a scarf of that team, despite not supporting them (when I lived in the Republic, I went to Shelbourne for footie). Dublin City only had 100 fans but one of them was decent enough to give me a scarf for my collection :)

The weird thing was that they had no fans but sold more shirts than any other Irish team. The local tourist shops all sold them to tourists who thought that they bought a Dublin shirt, not knowing that there was a football club called Dublin City. Using the city name and city logo was a good move. تعمیرات درب و پنجره دو جداره
نصب پنجره upvc
Imagine founding a club called London City, using the London crest as logo and using the city colours for your shirt. Then no matter how crap the team is, you will sell a lot of shirts if you corporate with tourist shops. Not a single tourist will know he is buying the shirt of a local sports club.

Hi friends of the forum how to find answers to our questions
It's great, this forum is especially for you who are referring to these issues
Thank you very much from you

1 - 13 of 13 Posts