Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Thought Criminal
14,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A new $190-million soccer and rugby league stadium will be built in Melbourne's Olympic Park precinct by 2009.

The new home for soccer club Melbourne Victory FC and rugby league team Melbourne Storm will seat 20,000 spectators and have the ability to increase capacity to 25,000 seats.

Victorian Premier Steve Bracks unveiled the futuristic rectangular design for the stadium on Thursday, saying it would provide the missing link in Melbourne's sports venues.

Current crowd sizes for rugby league and soccer reached between 10,000 and 15,000, he said.

"Given the increasing popularity of these football codes, we expect crowd sizes for soccer and rugby league to increase," he said.

advertisement

advertisement

"With this in mind, the stadium has been designed with sufficient capacity to increase seating."

The Victorian government will contribute $149 million to the project, with the remainder supplied by the venue trust and its tenants and suppliers.

The development means Collingwood and Melbourne AFL clubs will be given new training facilities at nearby ovals in Gosch's Paddock.

But Mr Bracks said the public would still be able to access nearby ovals and no parkland

I cant find any pics

·
Registered
504 Posts
20-25K. Too damn small if you ask me. Assuming the continued growth of the A-League it will become a white elephant within 10 years, with the terrible excuse of a rugby league team called the Storm the only tenants

·
Thought Criminal
14,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Na i dont think itll be to small. Its perfect i reckon. They arent going to grow that much. I think if you can avaerage 20-25 k a game in 10 years time youd be doing pretty good. I dont think crowds will ever get any bigger then that during the normal season.

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
Members equity stadium is already better, it has The Shed, The Western Force, Public Transport, Pubs nearby and the same capacity.You can have your new age stadium for your crap clubs and AFL training bases.We own Melbourne :D

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
The capacity will be restricted to 20,000 until 2009 i think, there was an agreement written when telstra dome was built that stated no 20,000+ stadiums could be built in Melbourne for a few years. The design is supposedly taking this into account, so that it can be expanded to 30,000+ when that agreement ends, although with that design im not sure how its possible :undecide:. It does look a great stadium though, and its in the heart of the Melbourne sports precinct :thumbsup:

·
Registered
196 Posts
Yeah, 20,000 capacity is pretty light on for the premier rectangular stadium in Australia's supposed (and this I type with great amusement) sporting capital. 30k would be more around what I'd like.

When this stadium was first mooted, the poor AFL community expressed outrage at the government wasting money on a stadium that won't even be able to host australian football matches. By gosh, they're precious.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Bosanac said:
looks nice but it should be 30000
Melbourne has nothing on Sydney, we've got more stadiums than you do trams
Yeah, this new ground with its capacity sounds like just another Parramatta Stadium, Oki Jubilee or Marconi Stadium :tongue:

·
Registered
504 Posts
King of the Kop said:
Members equity stadium is already better, it has The Shed, The Western Force, Public Transport, Pubs nearby and the same capacity.You can have your new age stadium for your crap clubs and AFL training bases.We own Melbourne :D
I thought the Force play at Subiaco? They gonna move to ME after a refurb?

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Cevapcici kid said:
Melbourne > Sydney,Adelaide,Perth,Queensland and the rest :tongue:
I like Hindmarsh anyway, all it needs is a roof and another 5,000 or so seats and it'd be fine. What makes Hindmarsh better than this Melbourne one is that we'll still be closer to the pitch. =)

·
Registered
36,109 Posts
melbourne owns!!

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
phillipjfry said:
Yeah, 20,000 capacity is pretty light on for the premier rectangular stadium in Australia's supposed (and this I type with great amusement) sporting capital. 30k would be more around what I'd like.
Supposed? Maybe we should try and get a few more events to go with the grand prix, australian open, melbourne cup, boxing day test and afl grand final...

·
Registered
23 Posts
There was quite a few letters in the Sun Herald from the AFL people complaining about Taxpayers money going on the new stadium.

Of course they didn't mind the upgrade on the hallowed MCG!!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts