Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to open a thread to track the progress of some of the newer and younger players that Lippi may consider including into to his world cup squad. Here are the ones I consider may have some chance:

Goalkeepers:
Marchetti

Defenders:
Maggio
De Ceglie
Santon
Santacroce
Criscito

Midfielders:
Marchisio
Marchionni? (out of left field but he has been reasonable for Juve)
Brighi

Forwards/Strikers:
Balotelli
Giovinco
Di Vaio? (having a cracking season)
Amauri (will he chose Italy?)

The strange thing here is that after Euro08, it seemed that Italy's weakest spot was defence and we had seemingly good midfielders. Well, it seems that a lot of the young talents are coming from defence again. Marchisio seems to be the most talented midfielder to come through recently....and I could see him working well with De Rossi in the center of a classic 4-4-2 formation. Only problem remains our lack of skilled wide players. Giovinco and De Ceglie could be used as wide attacking players but that may not be their natural position.

When you consider Lippi's ideas, it seems that there is a list of players who would certainly make it to South Africa.....and these are:

Buffon, Amelia, Zambrotta, Cannavaro, Chiellini, Grosso, Pirlo, De Rossi, Camoranesi, Gattuso, Gilardino, Toni, Rossi, Di Natale

That is 14 out of the 23 already picked. Meaning that there are probably 9 spaces left and 3-4 of those will be defenders, 3-4 midfielders, and possibly only 2 will be forwards.

My guess his squad will end up being:

Buffon, Amelia, Marchetti, Zambrotta, Cannavaro, Chiellini, Grosso, Bonera, Legrottaglie, Santon, Camoranesi, De Rossi, Pirlo, Marchisio, Acquilani, Gattuso, Rossi, Gilardino, Toni, Di Natale, Amauri, Del Piero.

12 out of that 23 were in the WC06 winning squad.

Any new suggestions for the squad?

·
Scudetto
23,466 Posts
I think Marchisio will be the first out of that list to play for Italy.

Don't think there's a chance for Marchionni though.

·
Administrator
53,215 Posts
Big no for Amauri and Di Vaio for different reasons that are obvious.

When it comes to strikers, even if Floccari has cooled down, its him and Pazzini, and perhaps Aqcuafresca that are in the line of being "tested" for the azzurri.

I agree with the rest, except take out Marchionni and insert Palombo instead, if he isnt in the squad already, as a probable NT player. Defenders, how can you forgot Motta who is really impressing, not great, but really showing his competence. Couple of months of same performances for Roma, and he is a sure call up for the NT, surest after Marchisio of the whole list basically.

·
Registered
28,216 Posts
Whoever is in form out of these guys will take the place of the more established lot if they are out of form

Rosina
Floccari
Cigarini
Di Vaio
Osvaldo
Canini
Mascara
Mesto
D'Agostino
Palombo
Pazzini
Motta
Miccoli
Balzaretti
Santacroce
Foggia
De Silvestri
Acquafresca
Maggio
De Ceglie
Marchisio
Giovinco
Criscito
Santon
Balotelli

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
By the way, you guys know what ever happened to Maresca?

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
Probably the players I will mention are the ones who have a realistic chance at being at 2010 World Cup, not ones who will just play a one off game.

Marco Motta (Roma)
Davide Santon (Inter)
Fabiano Santacroce (Napoli)
Claudio Marchisio (Juventus)
Possibly Seba Giovinco (Juventus)
Giampaolo Pazzini (Sampdoria)

From the older generation I would add Matteo Brighi

My predicted squad IF we are there:

Buffon, Amelia, Curci
Motta, Zambrotta, Cannavaro, Chiellini, Gamberini, Santacroce, Grosso, Santon
Aquilani, Montolivo, De Rossi, Pirlo, Gattuso, Marchisio, Camoranesi
G. Rossi, Gio/Di Natale, Toni, Gilardino, Iaquinta

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Probably the players I will mention are the ones who have a realistic chance at being at 2010 World Cup, not ones who will just play a one off game.

Marco Motta (Roma)
Davide Santon (Inter)
Fabiano Santacroce (Napoli)
Claudio Marchisio (Juventus)
Possibly Seba Giovinco (Juventus)
Giampaolo Pazzini (Sampdoria)

From the older generation I would add Matteo Brighi

My predicted squad IF we are there:

Buffon, Amelia, Curci
Motta, Zambrotta, Cannavaro, Chiellini, Gamberini, Santacroce, Grosso, Santon
Aquilani, Montolivo, De Rossi, Pirlo, Gattuso, Marchisio, Camoranesi
G. Rossi, Gio/Di Natale, Toni, Gilardino, Iaquinta
I agree with your team being probable but I would throw in Abbiati as having a chance ahead of Curci, and Cassano :drunk: (yes, Cassano) also having a chance

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
Cassano has a chance, but if what Toni said about his life at Samp is true, then I dont see Lippi calling him when it matters.

·
Registered
34,471 Posts
I could see De Ceglie make it, probably will be starter next season for juve, and considering the problem italy has with wingers, i could see him called for a rotation player on the left flank.

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeh, I would like to see Ranieri use De Ceglie in place of Molinaro for a few games to see how he goes. From the little I have seen of De Ceglie, he has really impressed me.

·
Administrator
53,215 Posts
To see his potential, him coming on the 30th minute in our last Milan game, and totally being a menace to them down the wing, was the best showcasing so far (funnily enough, was also Marchisio's best to date).

If he adapts to the defending abit more then he has so far, then he has a pretty good chance to get a starting spot. Because offensively, he is considerably superior to Molinaro, and has a great left foot to cross with.

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
I know alot of Juve fans give a bit of stick to Molinaro, and he is hardly a great LB, but right now I think Lippi should call him. He has a great engine on the flank and isnt terrible defensively. Offensively he could improve his crossing, but not every FB is perfect. Until Santon and De Ceglie are ready for NT, Molinaro is surely a superior option to Dossena currently as reserve LB.

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would actually like to see some promising wingers. At the moment Lippi has only ever used Camoranesi and Perrotta as wingers. Both are getting old in the tooth and look pretty slow and Camoranesi I reckon is a 50% chance if he can make it based on how injury prone he is. Giovinco could be used as a winger but I don't see Lippi calling him up. Not convinced about Pepe.

I would like to see us flirt with a 4-4-2 a little more. Italy don't really have a proper trequartista (assuming Totti doesn't make the squad) which forces us to use a 4-3-3 which is not always ideal against a lot of opponents.

A 4-4-2 could be good if we found a good right winger as I think De Rossi and Marchisio could be an ideal central partnership in a 4-4-2 midfield. Perhaps we could use Zambo as a winger.

-----------------Buffon--------------------

Motta-----Cannavaro-----Chiellni----Grosso

Zambrotta---De Rossi---Marchisio---Giovinco

-------Balotelli/Amauri---Rossi--------------

Motta has been impressive when attacking and Zambo and Motta may work well together. I would love to see Balotelli play with the senior team.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Santacroce needs to decrease his red card per game ratio first.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Our starting XI for the WC should be this IMO

-----------------------Buffon
Zambrotta----Cannavaro----Chiellini----Grosso
------------------------Pirlo
--------------Gattuso---------De Rossi
----------------------Cassano
-------------------Rossi----Toni

GK: Buffon, Amelia, Abbiati
DF: Zambrotta, Cannavaro, Chiellini, Grosso, Motta, Gamberini, Santacroce, Santon
MF: De Rossi, Pirlo, Gattuso, Marchisio, Aquilani, Montolivo
FW: Cassano, Rossi, Toni, Giovinco, Balotelli, Pazzini

And I'm hoping, the squad will be something like this ^ I know its not goingg to happen though :(

I know some people wont agree with certain selections (Balotelli, and not calling up Camoranesi or Gilardino etc????) but I think we need to start calling up guys like Santon and Motta as back ups as there is no one else really..........plus, they have shown enough to be called up ahead of Dossena. For the midfield, I would maybe call up someone like Palombo or Brighi and maybe drop on of the full backs (Motta or Santon or even one of the forwards depending on form, playing time and temperment, cough Balotelli :D ). I wouldn't have a huge probalem with leaving off Camoranesi as he will be 34 by then and I would rather give the spot to someone younger. In attack, I know a lot of people wont agree with Balotelli being there but it all depends on if he plays enough next season, same thing goes for Giovinco...........

Forza Italia

1 - 20 of 83 Posts