Xtratime Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sometime ago,like in the 90's,i heard that Peñarol should stop playing in a poor league and join argentine one.i think this is the moment to do that.
here we are always in the eye of the storm,so many interests are created around our team to destroy it ,not refered to this last episode,but for example last years's one:
Peñarol vs.miramar,crowd incidents,the referee komjetán ends the match.
tribunal decision:match awarded to miramar 2-0 (game was 1-1)
danubio vs.nacional,crowd incidents(a kid is hit by a stone by naciomal suporters),the referee komjetán ends the match.
tribunal decision:match continues next week (!) :dazed: ,same score and time and changing referee!! :eekani: (at least in that case,the game should be played from 0 minute) (game was 3-2 favoring nacional,game end 4-3 to nacional).
another Peñarol vs.miramar,crowd incidents,match awarded to miramar (game was favoring Peñarol 2-1)...
reasons to join AFA IMO:
-more tickets sold (argentine teams have more supporters than most of uruguayan ones,logically due to bigger population)
-a better league,where we can grow both economically and in playing,being able to compete with serious chances if we qualify to international cups.
-the players can get higher prices,cause is not the same to score against cerrito,rentistas,dep.colonia than to score against boca,river,for ex.
-another good one: argentina has both federal and provincial police (well trained for games with crazy fans).so,for games at montevideo,they can support the uruguayan police to do better operatives and that resulting in safer conditions to attend games.
-montevideo is even closer to buenos aires (where most of the teams are) than to tacuarembó,paysandú,cerro largo,or rocha (this last almost equal).
i think it's not a bad idea at all.look at united soccer leagues in northamerica,they have 2 countries on it,or monaco in europe playing france championship.i wrote this to manyapage and penarol official web,but still i don't see it published.what do you think? is the idea that crazy?

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
It is a good idea Chana ...but I doubt it will happen.

1) The USCL (North America) is not even a Pro league anymore (amateur). The main league is the MLS. (Which Canada will join this year)

2) In the SPL (Scotland), Celtic and Rangers have been trying for 10 years to go to England. And actually had a great reason.......the $$$ that the EPL would gain (from TV ratings) would be incredible (Celtic has a HUGE HUGE following all around the world ...with Rangers also not far behind).
But the EPL said "No" many times and finally dropped it this year.....why?
i) The small teams wouldnt want Celtic and Rangers to come and take their spots away in the league (Imagine Lanus and Banfield.....they wouldnt want Nacional and Penarol taking their spots away)

ii) If Celtic and Rangers WERE to go to England, they would have had to start from the very begining (not even Division 3....but actually the amateur league). NAcional and Penarol would have to do the same (as no team would just "give up" their spots to them). Remember...it's a large vote by all 18 Division 1 teams.

It is a great idea though and your points are valid. But the truth is....In ARgentina, we just dont matter enough for the trouble.

·
Registered
302 Posts
do it right

I say if you going to do it do it right:

Why not get the whole Montevideo and join Argentina already?

That way WE don't have to support you bums anymore.

:D :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
also the #1 reason they didnt do that in Scotland is because it would kill their league.

In Uruguay 85%(!!!) of fans are either NAcional or Penarol (that's the actual numbler). The Uruguayan league would die in a matter of seconds if both left to Argentina.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok,12 puntos menos,me desconecto del fútbol por lo que reste del año.
a darle más tiempo a las mujeres los fin de semana

·
Registered
228 Posts
bolso 4: did you see Celtic when they played in Toronto two summers ago vs. Roma?

en cuanto the bolsos and manyas going to Argentina: could you imagine the "strange refereeing decisions" that would happen if either us or you went into the third-to-last or penultima data of the campionato with a real chance to win the Apertura or Clausura??? :eekani: Red cards, obvious penalties and off-sides not called against them or non-existent off-sides/penales called against us. No way Boca, River etc are going to sit back and let an Montevideo team win a campionato.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
eugene said:
bolso 4: did you see Celtic when they played in Toronto two summers ago vs. Roma?

en cuanto the bolsos and manyas going to Argentina: could you imagine the "strange refereeing decisions" that would happen if either us or you went into the third-to-last or penultima data of the campionato with a real chance to win the Apertura or Clausura??? :eekani: Red cards, obvious penalties and off-sides not called against them or non-existent off-sides/penales called against us. No way Boca, River etc are going to sit back and let an Montevideo team win a campionato.
1) Eugene: Yeah I went (Roma won 1-0....Totti). There were over 50,000 Celtic fans that day (Literally mind blowing). And your right, Uruguay would have it very hard to win the Argentine championship (even if it's fair ...we'd still have a small chance)

2) Chana- lol.....yeah dont think we'll let Penarol escape Uruguay and leave Nacional to face Cerrito type teams every week :tongue: .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts