Xtratime Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw pictures of the new kit on the La Gazzetta site. It does not look so bad. They wore it during their practice match yesterday against the Vale D'Aosta XI. The Lotto emblems were on the shoulders in red and not the Ciaoweb. The shorts were black (my preference is to go back to the white shorts and socks). As for the numbers on the back, it had a black background and not a white one. The black sticks out, not blending into the jersey as the white did.

On another note, I was at the DC United-Newcastle United match last night. The adidas bianconero strip is not as appealing. The 3-stripes take away from the traditional look too much, even more than the Kappa stripe on the shoulders last season. So I am happy that adidas is not the official outfitter this season.

There was talk on another mailing list about the Roma strip. Their jersey is similar to the Azzurri strip. It did not appeal to me. I am not crazy about the Kappa crew/turtle neck look and the Roma colors are nothing to write home about.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ivers - It reminds me somewhat of the non-traditional stripes we had three seasons ago. It looks good for Milan but I am not sure if it would have the same effect in black and white. Plus, I would be surprised if two clubs from the same league would have the same design. Anyway, I think the Lotto kit will grow on us.

·
Registered
517 Posts
You definetly have a point there Falc. But still I think it would have looked better then the Lotto shirt. The second and third shirt are awfull.

Imagine if they could make a third shirt with the traditional black stripes and replace the white with silver !!! That would have rooled big time !!!

Personaly, I think the 98-99 shirts lookes best.

·
Registered
517 Posts
What club is DC united ? USA or England ? Whasington ?

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ivers - DC United is my hometown side in Washington, DC in the USA. They play in Major League Soccer, the top level soccer league in the US that is only 5 years old. DC has a nice team, won 3 of the first 4 championships, losing their only final to Chicago two seasons ago. They are playing poorly now (last place) but hopefully will make a good run to make the playoffs. We have no promotion/relegation system and the regular season only serves to determine who makes the playoffs. Out of the 12 team league, 8 make the playoffs.

When the league came into existence, many teams had odd names and colorful but strange looking uniforms. DC took a traditional name and wore a traditional strip, using the colors of the District of Columbia (DC) flag for its team colors: red, black and white. In fact, I think DC is the only team that continues to wear its original uniform (check out the Black 3 Stripe replica at its web site: http://www.dcunited.com/teamstore/index2.html). Well, DC has been the class of the league, which says something about tradition. The league finally scrapped its stupid shootout system, where every match had to have a winner. It does play a 10-minute sudden-death (golden goal) overtime to try to determine a winner but if no goal is scored, the match now ends in a draw. The league still has growing pains, is far from perfect but at least gives our boys a chance to play. I am lucky to have a good quality side for my home team. I think they could be as competitive as some of the provisional sides in Serie A (mid-table) if they continuously played in Serie A and picked up some quality bench players. The biggest problem is that the league has a $1.7 million salary cap. Some of the big players get paid directly from sponsors to make up in the lack of salary but it causes problem for successful teams. DC has had to give up quality players over the years as these players expect better pay for winning the championship.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Falc, I'm a DC fan also. I live in the DC area. This is a really strange season. KC and New York both doing well, and DC at the bottom?!?!?!?! Who won the New Castle game?

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fanatic - First, that is a strange combination to be rooting for. For most people, it is either Juve or Inter but rarely both. How do you handle the derby?

DC looked good on Saturday. They played a complete match for the first time this season, defeating Newcastle 3-1. It looked like the side of old. Maybe they have become too complacent for league plays this season. But if they play like last Saturday and make a good run, they still have a shot for the playoffs.

Where in the DC area are you? I live in Alexandria but grew up in College Park.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Here ar the pictures from the Gazzetta site that Falc mentioned.
Esnaider
Fonseca
Paramatti

I don't think they look that bad at all. I just hope that they play the Serie A and CL with these jerseys and not the ones with the CiaoWeb logo on them. The away and third jerseys are acceptable, too; the away especially - I think the silver was a great idea! I don't think Lotto did a bad job on the overall design, but I DO like Kappa better.

I could care less what brand they wear, as long as they WIN SOMETHING this season!!!:)

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Falc I live in the Fairfax area. Who scored for DC? Convey? I hope so, he is really good. I have to say I am a bit more partial to Inter. Its because Djorkaeff used to play for them.

·
Registered
374 Posts
:mad:

Oh well. I guess they'll just have to make up for that in TROPHIES!!!:)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Personally I quite like the new kit
but I agree that it would look better
with Lotto on it in prefference to
Ciaoweb.However it will look like the
best shirt in the world when Juve lift
the Champions League trothy come the
end of the season.If anyone has a picture
of the new Roma jersey could they please
put up a link.