Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Andreas you got your Switzerland :D

The new structure will involve the regular season of 24 matches the top six then play each other in a home and away series, with the top two playing in the grand final.

The team which finishes first starts the play-off league with six points and the runner-up with three.

The finals will run for about 10 or 11 weeks.

So what do you think? I think it's great because there will be more games and it is a chance for people to see the NSL.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
So i take it KI that you dont mind the Grand Final ?? :)

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
pao1908 said:
So i take it KI that you dont mind the Grand Final ?? :)

No Grand Final (unless Glory were to win it for once :D ). Just have the teams have the playoff league and the team on top after that wins. Simple as that.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Sounds good KI...... but by the looks of things it will be a Grand Final situation :(

·
©
7,230 Posts
hhmm...they do exactly the same thing in Croatia except that the teams keep their original points at the start of the play off. The top six battle it out for the title and the bottom six for relegation. It should get the fan's interested although I don't like a Grand Final at the end.:( Defeats the purpose of the exercise.

What happens to the teams that don't make it to the finals? They will be missing out on alot of games.:confused:

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can see one team winning the regular season by 10 points then the playoffs by about 6 or 7 points and losing the Grand Final :D

So I'm with it, it sounds great but of course no GF ;)

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
King Italy said:
I can see one team winning the regular season by 10 points then the playoffs by about 6 or 7 points and losing the Grand Final :D

So I'm with it, it sounds great but of course no GF ;)
The team you see wouldnt be South Melbourne by any chance, would it KI? ;) :D

·
Star Player
2,744 Posts
We can of course study league structures. One is the orthodox European structures, and then the more complex structures involving season stages and play-offs. Which one is best for us remains to be seen.

Question is, will we ever have promotion/relegation in which ambitious state league clubs (e.g. Blacktown City) can be nominated in place of an ailing or bankrupt NSL club?

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I hope we do eventually get a league with promotion/relegation. It seemed to work ok back in the late 80's/early 90's... why not try something different now that we need to attract even more ppl thru the turnstyles :)

Heres an idea..... a national comp consisting of 12 teams. The top 6 play-off to determine the Champion, and the bottom 6 play-off to determine who gets relegated. This way, all clubs get to play finals football, the crowds get to see their teams in the finals, and Soccer Aust get to charge the spectators a sh!tload and make some money as well.....;) :D

·
Star Player
2,744 Posts
Not a bad idea... but how would promotion be determined? Stright from the state leagues, or form a 2nd division?

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
What about a round-robin series between the winners of each state league, based on a home and away system??

·
©
7,230 Posts
State League clubs will not be able to sustain the costs of entering the NSL. In Victoria there is only a few clubs that are financially sound enough to pay the registration fee's etc but haven't got the crowd support, facilities and backing to make it last. Current clubs like Parra and Spirit who have huge financial backing can't even make it successful.

What needs to happen is scrap the whole league and start again. Give it a few years to mature and if successful and viable then think about having some type of second division. In the meantime there should be some type of cup competition which will consist of NSL and Stae League clubs. This will help the State League clubs draw crowds and will give NSL teams more games. If this happens you can also take some games to parts where the people don't get to see live soccer such as rural and country areas.

We need to do things like this because if we don't then there will be no national competition to follow.:(

·
Star Player
2,744 Posts
I agree on the cup competitions idea. Whether state league clubs moving up are viable or not is a matter open to debate, but there are some like the aformentioned Blacktown City who have shown competency in everything they do, ambition and clearly warrant an NSL place.

Last year, the axing of Canberra and Brisbane was IMHO outrageous because it robbed two major areas of a top level team and the chance for local talent to develop. Brisbane was reinstated but Canberra wasn't, perhaps a wise decision.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
Perth Glory must shape itself around the league not the other way. If the Glory have been "robbed" for the last few years then they just have to learn to play under pressure which is very obvious that up till now they cant.

The playoffs is the only decent thing about the nsl that attracts sum crowds. Without the final the nsl would be nothing. Just remember we are in Australia, the country where the grandfinal winner matters and not the league winner.

·
Star Player
4,703 Posts
this is just a plain bullshayze decision. Its all abt making money and whenever that happens all it does is alienate fans further, look at rugby league with their super league fiasco and dont worry the AFL have succumbed to the almighty dollar too, every person I know says the same thing its just not the same anymore...........some1 said the right thing, just scrap the damn thing and revamp it completely, but finals must stay, its part of aussie culture and like it or not its here to stay.

a mini league finals system please :rolleyes: 1st starts on 6 points, 2nd 3, 3rd 2.that right up there with some of the silliest-assed stuff Ive seen SA come up with and thats sayin somethin

and bring back relegation like some of you mentioned..............10 team league top six finals, and the bottom 4 play-off to stave relagation, relegate one side, one game out boom, 4th last hosts last, 3rd last hosts 2nd last, then the 2 losers play-off with the team finishing lowest during the regular season having to play away............

and play-off the winners of each state-league to see which team gets promotion, that way as we all understand with state league sides not being up to scratch, u minimise the risk of over-exposing small sides, but at the same time ure giving them something to aim for and thus teams like Bulleen, Heidelberg, Preston, St Albans, Bentleigh Greens etc can go the extra monty to become more professional..Its this type of thing that will generate more interest and more 'love' for the NSL b/c somewhere inside them ppl will know that their local side does at least have a remote possibility of making it to the very top. This type of thing will generate more acceptance of the NSL and give it some MUCH needed culture too.

Oh and BTW Im all for the FA cup style aussie cup..

but of course who listens to ppl like us, it seems every soccer fan worth his/her salt in this country knows what to do except for the di(kbrains who are in the positions of power

·
Star Player
2,744 Posts
I agree on localising the game and developing a culture. However, how could we get the message to people in those areas where they don't know local clubs exist and therefore the only round ball action they'll ever know is on the TV whenever the Premier League's on?

·
Star Player
4,703 Posts
DV, first things first, we are talking small numbers here abt 1,000 per state league club, except for a few which I know can draw bigger than some current NSL clubs, its getting back these supporters above all b/c they have simply tuned out of the NSL, then its up to these state league clubs to advertise and attract other fans, I know Bulleen with their Venito club is one of the most well known pokies/restaurant places around, word gets around, I live 10 mins away, sh!t Id go watch them so would a sh!tload of ppl I know in this area.......

One thing Ive noticed with the WC being on in our time zone : I was wrong abt one thing, QUALITY SOCCER is not liked by a minority in this country but the majority, mainstream, ethnic u name it, everyones talkin abt it on the street, down the bank, the post office, ITS THE MINORITY who dislike soccer, and thats fine no sport has a 100% following.........If we just turn it around and bring back 120 of the 150 odd players o/seas who really will never cut it in the top leagues like harry k and co. then we can seriously make a competition that is abt a division 1 england level, not gr8 but definitely worth wartching b/c its right here.

They can be brought back by revamping this damn league, getting some dollars behind to pay those hacks as much as they get paid in division 2 3 4 et al in europe, Have the NSL as a stepping stone to europe second only to the J-league in asia, get an asian chamions league thing going and all of a sudden you have players like lazarides and co. coming back to thewir friends and family, the waves and the babes. Only the top draw players should have any incentive to leave these shores like kewell, viduka and you know the rest.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Geez Giorgos, you are starting to sound just like Johnny Warren with all that repeating of yourself. I beleive i've heard all this from you several times before :D ;)

Actually i'll be very interested to see what sort of exodus to europe there will be from the J-League and the K-League after both countries WC success. I think either more european clubs will try to buy players from these leagues (and not just for merchandising ;) ) or the success will lead the japs and koreans to think that they don't really need to leave for europe as they can already compete at international level.

As for Laza, well he should already be back playing NSL :tongue: :D. He's just a bit part player for Birmingham now :)

I should also mention that one thing this world cup has shown is that the teams doing well have a lot of locally based players in their squad and invariably in the starting lineup (although i don't agree with Johnny "i wish i was brazilian" warren about us following the lead of the brazilian league [which is in financial chaos]...i think following the lead of the Turkish league would be more appropriate although in both cases the national populations are much larger than Australia)

·
Star Player
4,703 Posts
Andreas said:
Geez Giorgos, you are starting to sound just like Johnny Warren with all that repeating of yourself. I beleive i've heard all this from you several times before :D ;))
shut yer mouth speck :D ;)

It was directed to DV who hasnt had a chance to see my long-winded spiels on how to correct aussie soccer :tongue: poor chap :D

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Well at least unlike Johnny you don't seem to be a bitter and twisted old bastardo and look for postives rather than negatives :)

I think we all know what needs to be done to correct aussie soccer but i don't know what millenium the changes will actually take place in although at least Knoppy is in favour of the NSL being independent of SA :cool:

And i don't know why they are comparing this new format to Switzerland's. For a start, the top teams carry points from the early round into the playoffs and there is no grand-final. There will also be no promotion/relegation playoff either

And its interesting to see that we are trying to follow the Swiss league format when they are actually doing away with their in favour of an 10 team comp (36 games) with a 16 team 2nd division and only ONE promotion/relegation spot :eekani:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts