Xtratime Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
YES!!!!! The UEFA has finally realized it! In 2003-2004 the 2nd group-stage in the CL will be replaced by a knock-out system! Finally the players get a bit more rest.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Good news indeed, not so much I feel sympathy for the (top) players who get more rest (I would love to play two games a week for € 5M a year and having nearly two months holidays in the process), but because it is more exciting IMO.

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ajax supports the news idea, Feyenoord wants to know what will change on the financial side and PSV is against it.... What a unity Dutch football always is :D

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In the end one should consider what is best for the club....
With the extra cash one could buy extra players so they're all fit afterall....

·
Registered
7,770 Posts
But it's hard for clubs like the "big three" to buy extra players that have the same class as the starting 11. You can field your second team but they won't be as good as the first team and there's a big chance you'll blow your chances for the title.

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When it comes down to the attack, PSV can cover injuries well. In midfield as well now Van Bommel stayed. And in defence... not 100%, but decent enough...

·
Registered
23,835 Posts
Krijn are you sure that PSV made that statement? Would be a big joke then. The team that never qualified for the second round complains that the second round will be changed. :D

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
chivu, think about it....
If PSV finally makes it through the groupstage after 11 years or so, they want those 6 games, not just 2 :D

·
Registered
23,835 Posts
If they fail again then they can blaim UEFA for the enermous pressure that was put on the players, since it was the last chance to qualify for the second round in it's current form. :eek: ;)

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think Van Raaij will look quite strange if they didn't qualify again. I mean, he always looks strange and by now he should be used to not making it to the 2nd round. Nothing new there...

·
Registered
597 Posts
Krijn said:
Ajax supports the news idea, Feyenoord wants to know what will change on the financial side and PSV is against it.... What a unity Dutch football always is :D

Even though I'm a PSV-fan I like the move by FIFA... I like the cup-games more than the "league-games" in this sercumstances. It was terrific for me to be in an English pub with 100 Leeds-supporters, being the onlyone supporting PSV with my V Bommel shirt proudly on, and PSV won in the final minute! This sort of games is terrific! There are too many uninteresting games in the group stages of the Ch. League so it's a welcome move!

But, I don't think the footballers should talk to much about having to play two games a week... I do think the cyclist are just loughing of it when the climb the Alpes and the Pyrenees...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts