• Cico Kranjcar

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • Srecko Katanec

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Tomislav Ivic

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Miroslav Blazevic

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Zvone Boban (or another vatreni "great")

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Otto Baric

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Ivo Susak

• Ivan Katalinic

• others (please specify)

Votes: 2 9.5%
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Banned
36,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who would be good for the job?

·
Banned
36,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I voted Cico, a young energetic coach with tremendous success at club level. Attacking football is what we need.

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
I voted for Cico also. Zvone will be a great coach someday but not yet...he needs to get his feet wet, maybe do what Ivan Gudelj is doing now and coach one of the youth NT's or be an assistant on the NT till he's ready.....

Krajncar has the philosophy of attacking football, and he can learn to become a motivator....

·
Registered
235 Posts
I doubt he would even consider taking the position (due to age, health, stress and general BS), but Ivic is the most knowledgeable and experienced strucnjak in Croatia (and arguably in the world).

If it can't be Ivic, then I would prefer a young offensive-minded coach like Kranjcar to develop and perfect the new generation of vatreni over EC'04 & WC'06.

However, I am worried that Kranjcar's lack of international experience might be a handicap. That is why he should have Ivic as his advisor. ;)

Overall, new minds need to come into the HNS to develop an overall strategy encompassing: youth system and development; coaching development; 1 Liga HNL development; NT senior and junior etc. They need to broker an agreement with the government and clubs to ensure a viable evolution of Croatian soccer.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
I don't know....

Cico strikes me as a bit of a prima. He did well with Zagreb but he walked out on them thinking he would get offers from better paying European clubs. Bad move as he now is forced to coach a team that will not be trying for Champions League.

Ivic is a master tactician. He does tend to lean to a defensive style game...as that seemed to be the main complaints from Marseille while he was there. He could still bring success....

Zvone Boban knows the game well. He shows a passion for the National Team. He wants the NT to win. Players will have a great deal of respect for him. His only fault is he doesn't want to be coach (as far as I know).

Ciro did well between '94 and '98 after that I got sick of him as did most Vatreni fans. We almost failed to qualify for the WC because of him.

·
Banned
36,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Super Croat said:
We almost failed to qualify for the WC because of him.
a little harsh, 2 draws against two of the toughest opposing teams before political pressure forced him to step down

·
©
7,230 Posts
I heard an interview with Zvone recently and he said that he would like to be involved in football somehow BUT DEFINITELY not as a coach and said that he could never become one because it would be to stressful.

There are a couple of players that might be good coaches though. Maybe Bilic with abit more experience, definitely Asanovic (he is currently getting his certificates) and Prosinecki....just because he is a chain smoker!:)

·
Registered
235 Posts
Here's my suggestion for the new HNS order:

President: Boban

General Secretary: Bilic

Director of NT: Asanovic

Spokesperson: Suker

Coach: Kranjcar / Ivic (advisor)

P.S.

Director of Security: Stimac :D :tongue:

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Ero said:

a little harsh, 2 draws against two of the toughest opposing teams before political pressure forced him to step down
i think this sounds a little better.....because of Ciro, Croatia failed for qualify for EC2000, and almost failed to qualify for the WC.

·
Banned
36,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
placebo said:

i think this sounds a little better.....because of Ciro, Croatia failed for qualify for EC2000, and almost failed to qualify for the WC.
placebo said:

Your first claim warrants merit (we missed out by one goal while missing Boban, Prosinecki and the WHOLE defense in Zagreb. all the while outplaying the Yugo's and creating more chances) while your second claim is bordering on utter absurdity.

We played two games in that campaign, we outplayed both of our opponents (something we saw ONCE from Jozic) and played fluid passing, classic Croatian football, all the while missing half the team. We came away from a point n Brussells, a feat hardly worthy of a coach losing his positions.

We managed to play football and create chances, while coming away with the possesion with this midfield.

Robert Jarni
Zvonimir Soldo
Davor Vugrinec
Niko Kovaè
Krunoslav Jurèiæ

hmm, how can it be? I guess coaching style, tactics and motivation play a HUGE role in football, something everyone is well aware of. How come these same players were not able to string THREE ! passes together vs. Mexico and Ecuador, yet they outplayed Belgium over there hitting a post that would have put us 1-0 up?

So we come away with the knowledge that Ciro would have done better with these players, and claiming that he had a better selection of players is ridiculous, we played football even without our greats, and never ever looked so helpless and in such shambles. Win or lose, our ekvador and meksico games are SHAMEFUL ! utterly disgraceful, Jozic can blame himself for that one, everyone else rightfully does.

Ciro should have been relieved after our Euro 2000 failure, but was subsequebtly pushed out because of political reasons, not those related to football. Everyone has just now noticed how much damage a coach can do, Ecuador and Mexico outplayed Croatia, if you told me that 2 weeks ago, I would have called you crazy.

Thanks to Jozic, it's the bleak reality we have to live with.

ps. I'm not an avid Ciro supporter, but frequent and unsubstantiated 'Ciro bashing' has prompted me to defend him many a time on these forums.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Jure said:
I doubt he would even consider taking the position (due to age, health, stress and general BS), but Ivic is the most knowledgeable and experienced strucnjak in Croatia (and arguably in the world).

If it can't be Ivic, then I would prefer a young offensive-minded coach like Kranjcar to develop and perfect the new generation of vatreni over EC'04 & WC'06.

However, I am worried that Kranjcar's lack of international experience might be a handicap. That is why he should have Ivic as his advisor. ;)
exactly my thinking, Ivic is great, I hope he can do it...

Overall, new minds need to come into the HNS to develop an overall strategy encompassing: youth system and development; coaching development; 1 Liga HNL development; NT senior and junior etc. They need to broker an agreement with the government and clubs to ensure a viable evolution of Croatian soccer.
Government? wtf do they have to do with it anymore? pleas keep them out, we are not in either communism or dictatorship anymore... gov't needs to stay out of sports

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Ero said:

So we come away with the knowledge that Ciro would have done better with these players, and claiming that he had a better selection of players is ridiculous, we played football even without our greats, and never ever looked so helpless and in such shambles. Win or lose, our ekvador and meksico games are SHAMEFUL ! utterly disgraceful, Jozic can blame himself for that one, everyone else rightfully does.
1. you are avid Ciro supporter actually, you ahve said numerous times that Ciro is better than Jozic, Ivic, pretty much any of our coaches... from your post, one would think that you have a little temple built for ciro
2. We all cried when Ciro didnt take us to Euro 2000... Jozic did that, even though we were not in favorable position after Ciro screwed up. (once again)

Please save us from another "Ciro is my god" post... he messed up, he got another chance... he messed up again, he was out... and he needs to stay out...

You keep saying that Ciro would have done better... no, Ciro wouldnt be here at all, since he would have failed to Qualify.

dot.stop.

·
Banned
36,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
spwolf, here's some questions and answers...

Am I a Ciro supporter?
No, not anymore, he did mess up our Euro2000 bid and should have stepped down after that. Having said that, we all know about his achievments and no new fiction from your keyboard will change, give it up.

Is Ciro better than Jozic?
heh, please be my guest and answer this one for all of us, I don;t want to waste my breath once again.

Is Ciro a good coach?
Ofcourse he is, he is a motivator and has the respect of all his players. Jozic hasn't 1% of that respect, nor had Ivic or anyone else.

Can one assume that Ciro "would have failed to qualify"?
ofcourse not, it's rather childish to presume something that never happened.

Would have Croatia SHAMED our tradition with Ciro(or someone else that doesn't prefer 6 defenders when you need to win) at the helm?
I don't know, but it's a safe bet that we would have played "nogomet", not a cowardly formation and tactic employed last by the likes of San Marino.

Does Ero have a shrine dedicated to Ciro Blazevic?
Ofcourse I do, doesn't everyone ;) :tongue:

hehe, you're getting to a stage even I can't comprehend. Just what is it you're rebeling against?

I criticize Jozic, you defend him. Fine
I criticize Ivic, you defend him. Fine
You and other's criticize Ciro, I defend him, HOLLY HELL BRAKES LOOSE !

I'll take the words of Boksic, he walked into our changing room at half time against Ecuador and sarcastically told Jozic to "put on another defender" before walking out in the middle of the team talk to shoot around with the substitutes. Great way to earn respect coach.

The players told Jozic that the tactic was wrong before the game, Jozic stuck by it, and dragged our good name through the mud.

Good riddence.

Please feel free to defend him by attacking me, it's what you've mastered here so wonderfully :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Actually that game against Belgium in Brussels was an ugly boring afair where Ciro used defensive tactics. He also failed to pick Tudor for the game against Scotland in Zagreb favoring an older and much slower Stimac. Who by the way gave up the ball and allowed Scotland the goal, basically. The game in Zagreb started out great for about 15 minutes and the rest was Croatia playing defensivly after Boksic's goal.

It was time for him to go. I wouldn't have have Ciro as a candidate for the next Vatreni coach. Time for someone new.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Ero said:

I'll take the words of Boksic, he walked into our changing room at half time against Ecuador and sarcastically told Jozic to "put on another defender" before walking out in the middle of the team talk to shoot around with the substitutes. Great way to earn respect coach.

The players told Jozic that the tactic was wrong before the game, Jozic stuck by it, and dragged our good name through the mud.

Ero, this is good storytelling :D ;). I heard something like this happened. Should be interesting to see what eventuates over the next week or so when everything is analysed and revealed. Jozic better be out of the country by then.

·
©
7,230 Posts
I actually read that aswell about Boksic. Prosinecki also had an inevtible sook about Jozic which was predictable. Jozic did play defensively and did do some things wrong but the players need to put their hands up aswell and accept their end of the blame...

Ciro is a good coach and is strong tactically. He didn't play the full on attacking football people seem to think he did. France 98 depended mostly on counter attacking aswell but the team was able to hold posession when they got the ball which this team couldn't.

I respect Ciro but i don't like his mouth. He talks too much crap which I hate coming from coaches. He has said some really stupid things but I suppose Ciro is Ciro..

At least I did respect him until I read todays Vecernji List..:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Ero, I am not defending Jozic... he phucked up too much, BUT, I am saying that it is not 100% his fault... Coach can not influence performance of the players that much, for god sakes Prosineck couldnt complete 10 feet pass in the Game vs Mexico...

I am glad that dinamo11 brought this up - Ciro never played attacking football that everyone contributes to him... Soldo played in that team, so did tomas, so did jurcic... he always played counter-attack football, we were fameous for that - lighting counter attacks.... not to mention his mouth where he disses every1

You are Ciro's supporter Ero, I dont see how could you write everything you did so far, without being Ciro's supporter... and everytime you write something, you make sure you also lower down other coaches in the same sentence... like Ivic... Ivic never had respect from his players? think again.

As to Ciro not shaming us... for me, our greatest shame ever was to not qualify for Euro 2000... can it ever be worse than that?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts