Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There has been talk about a spuad vote for new captain.

From goal.com:

Albelda: A Captain Is Not Always The Leader

David Albelda has stated that he does not mind who is appointed as club captain of Valencia for the new season, but thinks it does not have to be the team leader.

Los Che are set to hold a squad vote on who should wear the cherished armband and Albelda has different ideas from coach Unai Emery about the requirements for the role.

Having been captain of the team, Albelda believes that sometimes just experience is enough and that leadership skills can be used without having to be the skipper.

"At times the captain is not the leader of the team. Sometimes the captain is there because of his seniority, not because of his character," he said.

"It is not important who wears the armband, what is important is that the team is going along the right path. Anyway, I think that we are all captains."

Raúl Albiol is a name being touted as a favourite for the role and Albelda understands that the young central defender has the attributes required.

"He is young, Valencian, a member of the Spain squad, he has lots of potential and is used to be a regular. He will spend many years here," he continued.

"I am going to vote because if I leave my vote blank then I do not have the right to any opinion."

--------------------------

I'd vote for Albiol I think, although he is going to need to step up his game to fit the captain role. If Vicente was fit all the time he'd defo get my vote. Another idea would be to give it to Villa as a reward for his loyalty.

·
Registered
17,227 Posts
too bad arizmendi has left :howler:

i'd say give it to vicente or marchena or albiol. but i don't really care, i'll be happy with pretty much everyone

·
anti-epl
2,076 Posts
Wonder why they are doing it?Disagreements in the dresing room?

Albiol is too young,give him 2-3 yrs.But i think he is the favs & not a bad choice at all.I would like Baraja,Marchena,Villa,Moretti & then Albiol in that order.This is based on age,exp,how many yrs hes played for us,squad status(regular or bench) & influence.

·
Honorable Mention, October Photo Contest 2008
2,592 Posts
Wonder why they are doing it?Disagreements in the dresing room?

Albiol is too young,give him 2-3 yrs.But i think he is the favs & not a bad choice at all.I would like Baraja,Marchena,Villa,Moretti & then Albiol in that order.This is based on age,exp,how many yrs hes played for us,squad status(regular or bench) & influence.
ohhh faaack moretti?! as captain? ALBIOL all the way. valencianista through and through

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I left Marchena out for some reason. He definitely deserves it and I think the responsibilty would improve his game.

·
Registered
14,722 Posts
marchena , vicente or villa for me. Albiol has too sort out his fcucking defending first! still like him though

·
semi-retired
18,554 Posts
For me the captain needs to be either a leader or some sort of inspiration towards the team. Our leaders are Baraja, Marchena, Albelda and to some extent Albiol, whose learning responsibility and one of the few players who give 100% every game (regardless of form). For inspiration we usually look to Villa and Vicente.

So my choice for captain will be in this order:

1. Baraja
2. Marchena
3. Villa
4. Vicente
5. Albiol
6. Albelda
7. Angulo/Moretti

Albiol will have all the time in the world to be captain, as he's still very young.

·
2,592 Posts
i really dont see why anyone has suggested moretti, just because hes one of our older players doesnt mean hes a leader, players will look at him and think fcuk why am i playing under this piece of crap! fcuk moretti, bring back horny

·
semi-retired
18,554 Posts
Yes becuase horny is such a bigger inspiration than Moretti is!! :D

Moretti is like Angulo, one of those players who give it their all and they maybe crap at times (or maybe all the times) but they are still respected for their attitude, hard work and professionalism. Some attributes needed in a captain. They've also been here quite a long time, so that counts for something I guess.

I do agree however that del horror show, should be given a chance soon to win his place.

·
2,592 Posts
at least horny is passionate about something.....even it is a passion to fcuk everything up where ever he goes! moretti is probably the least inspirational player i have EVER seen (slight exaggeration maybe) hes just a run of the mill LB wish we had got Taye Taiwo when we were linked a few seasons back

·
David Villa is a
14,204 Posts
Vi Vi Vi ViCi ViCi ViCi My Love ViCeNtE!! he was a valencianista since he was a baby!!

·
Registered
758 Posts
should be marchena/vicente

1 marchena
2 Vicente(he has that spirit to live and die as an valencianista and his dream is to be given the honor i think i read it before..)
3 albiol

·
Registered
758 Posts
haha most prob wun happen since they are professionals but never say never since we are the forever interesting Valencia CF

if its really suprise winner maybe villa/albelda? cant think of anyone else

i think most prob vicente vice captain although he could have been the captain for sure if not for his injuries

·
anti-epl
2,076 Posts
Vicente may have all qualities,but what good are they on the bench?A captain needs to play week in week out.Vicente doesn't look capable at this moment.Let me see him play consistently for 6 or more mnths at a high level,then we can have him in the running.

Moretti may not be a excellent player,but he is consistent.He has been playing regularly since he came,doesn't have any disciplinary or off field problems. He does have -ve's though,not influential,outsider,not the best player in the world.But he's just an option & certainly not anyone's fav.

I think Villa fits the bill to be a captain for me.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts