Xtratime Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heynckes and JVA announced yesterday that Benfica's new captain will be none other than Calado!

Things we can deduce from this:

1) Calado's not going to Newcastle after all. This makes sense, since Machairidis was the man who would replace him if he left, and since HE's leaving - Calado will stay. I think this is a good move for Benfica.

2) Paulo Madeira is as good as gone. Heynckes & JVA said he would be the 2nd captain, but why wouldn't he be named captain if he were staying? He's been here nearly as long as Calado, plus he's been capped. His non-captaincy verifies what bringing in Marchena and Dudic (and possibly Meira from Vitoria Guimaraes) told us already: Madeira's as good as gone.

What do you guys think of this?

Forca Benfica!

·
International
5,629 Posts
Calado was as inconsistent on this team as any player...but I cannot argue with him being Captain. When he plays well Benfica is a very good team. Madeira had a very disappointing season, but he's a good player, all he needs is to make up his mind and show it. I don't think he'll be shipped out so easily. I would wait to see how he plays first. If he does not deliver then ship him out.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts