Xtratime Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I been reading this forum for a while... but didn't bother to register but from what i've seen Xtratime looks like the busiest football forum (I'm registered on BigSoccer forums) so i'm giving this a shot.

Recently I've grown very fond of this great club because of their transfer policy but still being Spain's 3rd most successful club behind the 2 giants... Barca and Real Madrid.

I just have some questions though and would like to learn more about La Liga and Bilbao in general even though i'm pretty good right now but i want to be as knowledgable in it as I am with EPL and other leagues and since I get GOLTV and have these forums now .... its all possible :D

1) Howcome Real Sociedad able to buy Boris (Non-basque Spanish) a few years back?? did the chairman just allow a ONE time deal or what?? what was the deal with that... i remember it a few years back and it shocked me and i'm just curious.

2) Can someone give me a complete list of Basque players who dont play in Bilbao, Sociedad or Osasuna?? It's not that many but i'm sure there is more than the few i know.

Mikel of Albacete
Aitor Ocio of Sevilla
Palacios I think of Numancia
Descarga of Levante

De Pedro
Mendieta
Xabi Alonso
Ivan Campo

Thanks

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
Hi PLF, I´m a bit busy now so sorry for not giving you complete explanations, anyway, I give you some links. If someone can add better, if not I´ll try to help you during the week, actually I was thinking since a while back on making a list of basque players in primera, segunda and other leagues but I don´t have much time.

1) R.Sociedad broke the tradition with him, it´s true they haven´t signed more spanish players since then but that´s just a casuality, they tried to sign Rubén (Las Palmas) and a player from Tenerife I don´t remember now last summer, I give you a thread about the topic.
http://www.xtratime.org/forums/showthread.php?t=90064&highlight=Boris

2) As you can imagine being Athletic, Osasuna and Erreala teams based on the youth system (especially the first:tongue: ) they normally keep all the players they produce, if they leave it´s because these teams don´t want them, being exceptions some "star" players who may move to top teams. You mentioned some, others could be Aranzabal (Zaragoza), Otxoa, Tarantino (Numancia), Xabi Pascual (Racing), Almunia (Arsenal), Idiakez (D.County), Lizarazu (Bayern), Laslandes (Girondins), Sirieix (Toulouse), Grenet (Nice) or Arrieta and Franco (Estoril). Other players who were important primera ones and now are in segunda are Bolo and Ibon Begoña (Nàstic), Karmona (Eibar), Unai Bergara (Elche).

And the 3 top scorers of Segunda: Aritz Aduriz (Valladolid), Joseba Llorente (Eibar) and Mario Bermejo (Ferrol) although Bermejo isn´t basque (Cantabria) he was formed in Athletic. There are a lot more in Segunda, just mentioned the first ones that came to my head. Here´s a good list.

http://www.xtratime.org/forums/showthread.php?t=143563

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks a lot that first link was a good read. As always i'm interested in learning more about this club but here's a personal questoin.

With Sociedad and Osasuna not following the tradition of NOt signing Spanish players who aren't Basque. Do you think ultimately Atletico Bilbao will AT LEAST sign FOREIGNERS a few who are NOT spanish ?? And If so how long do you think it will take .. or do you think 20 years from now.. Bilbao will still have same policy?

My question is do you seem them following the footsteps of Sociedad in next few years if things go GREAT or if bad??

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And one more thing... we all know about their transfer policy of only Basque players but don't you think it should be WRITTEN somewhere on their official website for those who are football fans but dont know this?
i dont see it anywhere.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Welcome to Basque forum! :)

Hope you can visit here often, and talk about Basque football :glasses:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thank you both. So how about you guys post a little here now.. i've posted 3 long posts .. some still unanswered.

·
Registered
12,740 Posts
First of all, 'Ongi Etorri' to the Basque forums!!! :thmbup:

PLF said:
With Sociedad and Osasuna not following the tradition of NOt signing Spanish players who aren't Basque. Do you think ultimately Atletico Bilbao will AT LEAST sign FOREIGNERS a few who are NOT spanish ?? And If so how long do you think it will take .. or do you think 20 years from now.. Bilbao will still have same policy?
Off course, at least I hope so, we'll have the same policy of only signing Basques, if it depends on me we've got that policy for ever!
However, with starting to wear a shirtsponsor on the kit, it's a first step in the wrong way... but still I don't feel there are people who want to change our policy.
Why should we move to another? It's successive and we've got a lovely own identity, we're a real club, opposite to Real and Barça for example, our fans can indentify themself with the team, and with that, we gain respect by almost all teams.

PLF said:
My question is do you seem them following the footsteps of Sociedad in next few years if things go GREAT or if bad??
No :D.

PLF said:
And one more thing... we all know about their transfer policy of only Basque players but don't you think it should be WRITTEN somewhere on their official website for those who are football fans but dont know this?
i dont see it anywhere.
Why is it needed, real footballfans are supposed to know it, if they don't they don't seem to be interested enough ;).

Finally, I can't add much to Txupa's answers, Basque players? There are so much... Txupa named the most famous playing outside Euskadi, for some more, have a look around at some Segund B and Tercera Basque clubs, Aviron Baiona from France (ipparalde?), further there's Real Union from Irún, Aurrera from Vitoria-Gasteiz, Elgoibar, Peña-Sport, Barakaldo, Baskonia, Sestao and Amurrio? Not sure about the last one, I'm sure Txupa and some more members can explain more!

Cya around!

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
The social mass is against signing non-basque or non formed in basque clubs so I don´t see it happening, I can´t say it won´t ever happen but right now it seems almost imposible. For that there should be a voting between the socios, not really obligatory but necessary, it´s common sense, as long as we are not an Anonymus Society but a club that belongs to the socios I don´t see that happening.

It´s not written in the page because it´s not written anywhere, it´s a tradition and as that it´s respeted by the presidents that keep on passing, since it´s not written it´s free for interpretation so there will always be discussions about certain players situations but that has always happened, as long as common sense it´s used there´s no problem.

Yes, Knoert, Amurrio is a basque club from Araba.:) From Segunda B you only missed Lemona, then there are a lot in tercera, all group 4 (i think it´s 4) being Arenas de Getxo the most historic one.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright thank you both for your opinions! ;)

Knoert you're certainly right about other clubs giving you respect because of you fan/team relatoinship and traiditions i fully agree.

i wanted to also get your opinion on if you think it will happen not if you want it to ;) but I realize as Txupa said.. that it probably wont and even if it did... it would need voting and other stuff!!

So are they getting a sponsor on shirt?? i thought them and Barca wouldn't get one because the colours were sacred lol. So is it from next season?
i'm disappointed to hear that. I really liked that they had no advertisement on the shirt but hey if the money is going to help the club in some way either by develping better Basque youth or improving facilities which I doubt needs improving or whatever then let it be ;)

Either way take care you guys... and dont worry about list of players.. Txupa's first list was pretty complete and what i needed. I only cared about Basque players outside of those 3 clubs in FIRST DIVISON because i'm plannning to start a Master league on PES4 ;) with Atletico Bilbao and only buy Basque players like in real life and it only has first division clubs :D

Take care and nice knowing you all.

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
The sponsor is only for UEFA and Cup, we started wearing it about a month ago or so... It´s the word "Euskadi" to promote tourism to the basque country and our president (who promised not to put a sponsor in the campaign) says wearing Euskadi is not a sponsor but a pride. You have debate there if you want, for me it´s obious, we´re paid->it´s sponsor, then it´s true I prefer to wear Euskadi than a company name but that´s another thing, our president hasn´t been loyal to his word.

BTW, to put a sponsor they alsoneeded a voting, but as opposition to the basque players tradition this was accepted by the socios in the early 90s, they approved something like "if the clubs is in a dangerous economical situation exceptionally we can put a sponsor in the shirt" that´s what our president has taken advantage of now.

more info..

http://www.xtratime.org/forums/showthread.php?t=147243&page=1&pp=15

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
oh.. well that advertisement isn't so bad ;) Euskadi.. i thought it was a like a normal sponsor like other teams but thats good for us as its only 2 competitions not domestic games... and we get money and its tour of Basque cities so not a bad thing... it is like their pride.

however... the fact that they said they would use it only if ECONOMICAL dangers were there.. and they have put a sponsor on our kit now... does that mean the club isn't stable financially or not doing good??

·
Registered
204 Posts
Welcome PLF. This is the best and friendliest site.

Are you in Iran? If so, where about? And what team do you follow?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey Fish

No I live in Toronto, Canada but I'm Persian and a proud one as you know ;)

I used to live in Tehran just like half population nowadays lol ;)

My fav team is Ajax but I hate to see them get crapper year after year... i dont know when we'll see them lift champions league trophy again :(

In Spain I like Bilbao because of their tradition/transfer policy and unity as well as kits and players of course ;)

I'm out for now bro..

take care

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
PLF said:
however... the fact that they said they would use it only if ECONOMICAL dangers were there.. and they have put a sponsor on our kit now... does that mean the club isn't stable financially or not doing good??
Athletic´s economical situation is bad, as the rest of the league, but it´s one of the less bad, if not the least. It shouldn´t be bad, take in mind our last signing we paid money for was Tiko in the summer of 99, since then we´ve only signed Carlos Merino and Aitor Karanka but both came on a free transfer. It´s also true we haven´t sold anyone though. Anyway, the bad economical situation is thanks to contrats of managers (Zubizarreta), coaches (Heynckens) or players (Karanka, Vales..) signed in the last 3 years, with completely crazy contracts, as well as some previous ones.

Other thing is that we don´t receive the help other teams do, as playing in a private stadium (ask Valencia or Atlético who will get now their new free public stadiums). Actually this Euskadi sponsor is one of the first "help" we receive, and even if this is more than normal in football I already said I don´t like it at all.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
lol yeah it sucks that they get a free stadium and we wont and why is theirs free while Arsenal for example has to spend shitload of its money on its stadium? is there a reason they get a million dollar project for fREE?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts